PhillyNJ

b+ composite video mode

Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:42 pm

Hi,

I finally got around to getting my b+. I am having trouble getting the composite video working. Is there a config setting I need to set to get the video to output to composite video?

:o Thanks :o

glossywhite

Re: b+ composite video mode

Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:54 pm

Hello :)

I hope this page will help you:

http://elinux.org/RPiconfig#Video

God bless you, enjoy your weekend, Matt :)

fruitoftheloom

Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:05 pm

PhillyNJ wrote:Hi,

I finally got around to getting my b+. I am having trouble getting the composite video working. Is there a config setting I need to set to get the video to output to composite video?

:o Thanks :o
Are you using Noobs or have you installed standalone Raspbian Wheezy
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

PhillyNJ

Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:28 pm

Raspbian Wheezy - I suspect my Composite cable maybe the root cause of the issue. Tried a few siting in the config.txt and no luck.

glossywhite

Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:32 pm

PhillyNJ wrote:Raspbian Wheezy - I suspect my Composite cable maybe the root cause of the issue. Tried a few siting in the config.txt and no luck.
Try:

Display Mode Selection: By default, NOOBS will output over HDMI at your display's preferred resolution, even if no HDMI display is connected. If you do not see any output on your HDMI display or are using the composite output, press one of the following keys on your keyboard:

1 to select HDMI preferred mode
2 to select HDMI safe mode
3 to select Composite PAL mode (for instance, Europe, China, India and Australia)
4 to select Composite NTSC mode (for instance, North America, South Korea, and Taiwan)

PhillyNJ

Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:53 pm

Thanks, but I am not using noobs.

fruitoftheloom

Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:56 pm

PhillyNJ wrote:Raspbian Wheezy - I suspect my Composite cable maybe the root cause of the issue. Tried a few siting in the config.txt and no luck.
With the B+ you must use the correct Composite Cable http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/2014/0 ... video-jack

As you are using Standalone Raspbian Wheezy it should auto-display Compsosite (it does on my TV) with the correct cable. :)
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

PhillyNJ

Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:47 am

Thanks - I most definitely think my composite cable is not compatible.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:57 am

imagine for a moment you are "color blind", and simply plug in a random* RCA plug into the (yellow) video input, there is a good chance you cable may be wired so that this will work! Then simply plug the remaining two plugs into the audio inputs.

Actually I would first try the red one, but then you are not "color blind" :D

PhillyNJ

Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:49 am

Actually, the cable is male/male

Something like this:

My TV/Monitor accepts only a 3.5mm plug

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:00 pm

really? i've never seen at TV with a 3.5mm TRRS audio/video input before!

are you sure its an audio/video input, and not a simple TRS headset audio output jack? Those i've seen plenty!

DirkS

Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:01 pm

For both audio and video?

fruitoftheloom

Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:17 pm

PhillyNJ wrote:Actually, the cable is male/male

Something like this

That looks like an Audio Cable, what make / model of TV ?

Composite looks nothing like that on the TV end should be http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/RCA_connector

Burngate

Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:35 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
PhillyNJ wrote:...Something like this...
That looks like an Audio Cable...
only if the audio in question has three channels.
Composite looks nothing like that on the TV end should be http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/RCA_connector
only if it connects to something with three RCAs.

I had a miniature TV that had a 3.5mm trrs jack as an input. I've no idea which standard if any it followed. The only way to tell is with an avo.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:39 pm

then the manual that came with the TV should have some info, as its very unusual to have such an input connector, they cannot get away with not documenting it.

How do you know its actually a four pins input, did the cable come with the TV?

very strange!

whats an "AVO", a monetary unit of Macao, equal to one hundredth of a pataca? :lol:
I guess you mean this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avometer but I can see how you can use an ohm-meter to measure the cable, but how do you determine what the functions of the input wires of the 3.5mm TRSS jack are with an ohm-meter?

If you can figure this out, and the dual TRRS cable is wired wrong for this function, I suggest splitting it and two halves, and correct the wiring by wiring it up in the correct order.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:51 pm

Burngate wrote:only if the audio in question has three channels.
Well ThillyNJ wrote "something like this", so in theory it could still be a TRS instead of a TRRS cable, but yeah well......

Burngate

Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:37 pm

Yes, though not the later ones with the nasty plastic case.

Firstly, it's best to make sure the cable is really connected one-to-one. It would be irritating to find the ends wired differently. Technically known as "AVOing out the cable" since "using a multimeter on its ohms range" is unnecessarilly long-winded, and doesn't display one's historical roots.
Then, given there's four possible connections for ground, and only half of them for live audio, the easiest way is to first measure from somewhere else that's likely to be ground (in my case it was the aerial) to find the right one for ground.
Then stick a pin into the cable, which will probably connect to the screen but not the cores, and make sure it's correctly connected to ground.

To find out which are the audio connections, switch it on, turn the volume to max, and touch the AVO probe to each connection in turn. The ones that result in the speaker cone flying across the room are the audio ones.

PhillyNJ

Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:53 am

Its a video cable. My monitor takes a 3.5mm video in. I use to use it with my model B, but had to run some adaptors to plug into the yellow video composite. But as we all know the B+ uses the 3.5mm composite out. As posted by one of the users on this thread, there are different types of 3.5mm cables.

fruitoftheloom

Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:15 am

PhillyNJ wrote:Its a video cable. My monitor takes a 3.5mm video in. I use to use it with my model B, but had to run some adaptors to plug into the yellow video composite. But as we all know the B+ uses the 3.5mm composite out. As posted by one of the users on this thread, there are different types of 3.5mm cables.
So am I right in assuming you need a 4pole (Pi) to 3 pole (TV)Composite Cable ?

Do you have a Scart Socket on the TV ? if so maybe use the scart for input with a Compsosite/L/R adaptor ?
Last edited by fruitoftheloom on Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

RaTTuS

Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:19 am

PhillyNJ wrote:Its a video cable. My monitor takes a 3.5mm video in. I use to use it with my model B, but had to run some adaptors to plug into the yellow video composite. But as we all know the B+ uses the 3.5mm composite out. As posted by one of the users on this thread, there are different types of 3.5mm cables.
can you post a link to your monitor?
make and model
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Jessie

Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:58 pm

There used to be quite a few Camper/RV 12V TV sets back in the day that had these 4 pole connectors for video input. I had no idea that TVs were still being made like that. Usually, there was an optional VCR or DVD deck that went with them. I owned one made by Funai years back but it has been dead for a while.

Return to “General discussion”