PhillyNJ

B+ composite video port

Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:53 pm

What happened to the VGA (composite video port) on the B+? This was such a nice feature as I have used car monitors for displays. They are low priced and great for MAME Arcades. HDMI monitors are expensive.

:x :x :x :x :x :x :x

* Correction : composite video port
Last edited by PhillyNJ on Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AndrewS

Re: RB= VGA Port

Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:56 pm

Uh? :shock: The Raspberry Pi has never had a VGA port :!:

I wonder if you actually meant the composite video port? :? That's simply been integrated into the 4-pole AV connector (as explained elsewhere), and can still be accessed with an adaptor cable.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: RB= VGA Port

Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:58 pm

No Pi model had VGA

If you mean the composite video it moved onto a TRRS jack along with the analog audio.

Unfortunately i've seen reports that there are multiple different contact arragenemnts in use for TRRS jacks so you need to be careful when buying adaptors. Hopefully Pi accessory suppliers will catch up and source the correct ones.

PhillyNJ

Re: RB+ composite video port

Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:07 pm

I corrected it. I meant composite video port. Thanks :)

RaTTuS

Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:18 pm

removed link because it's wrong

is what you are looking for [fixed previous link] I know that one is a china import but there will be others
Last edited by RaTTuS on Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

redhawk

Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:18 pm

PhillyNJ wrote:I corrected it. I meant composite video port. Thanks :)
It's moved to the 4 pole headphone socket, you'll need to purchase a compatible cable / adapter to access the composite video signal.

Richard S.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:32 pm

RaTTuS wrote:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-2-5mm-Ja ... 0310597605? is what you are looking for
Are you sure, I don't have a B+ yet but I would have expected the jack to be 3.5 not 2.5.

joan

Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:33 pm

For what it's worth.

I have a couple of four pole type connectors from (I think) Canon Powershot cameras.

One produces a continually shifting blurred wavy picture when I plug the audio L, audio R, and CVBS channels into an Easycap dongle.

The other produces nothing out of audio L or CVBS but produces a pretty perfect picture out of the audio R channel.

Is this safe?

fruitoftheloom

Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:35 pm

This was mentioned in another post, can not remember where, but kudos to OP

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350843265424? ... 1423.l2649

Edit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 75#p577977
Last edited by fruitoftheloom on Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

redhawk

Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:41 pm

I bought a splitter for my Android phone I wanted to use a desktop mic instead of the handset free kit.
Needless to say it didn't work I got L-R out of my headphones (missing ground) and the microphone port didn't work.
I really hate these 4 pole connectors not because they exist but the fact that manufacturers couldn't be bothered to standardise them properly in the first place.
fruitoftheloom wrote:This was mentioned in another post, can not remember where, but kudos to OP

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350843265424? ... 1423.l2649
Does anyone know if this actually works on the B+ rather than maybe??

Richard S.

AndrewS

Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:03 pm

redhawk wrote:I really hate these 4 pole connectors not because they exist but the fact that manufacturers couldn't be bothered to standardise them properly in the first place.
Yeah http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 23#p577923

Cynics might say that it was to ensure that you needed to buy a separate "official" cable for each device? :( :?

PhillyNJ

Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:05 pm

Awesome! I should have read the specs. Thanks all!

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:25 pm

Redhawk wrote: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350843265424? ... 1423.l2649
Does anyone know if this actually works on the B+ rather than maybe??

Richard S.
Not without knowing the schematic of this adapter,

Many cables should work, for example cables designed for the Ipod (or MS Zune) work without any change, I'm guessing those will be the most common, so most often imitated by Chinese copies. :D

A cable designed for a camcorder also works, if you swap the Video and right channel plugs (yellow and red plugs)

The PI uses the "Short Sleeve" for Video Out (from a current source, so shorting it isn't a problem), The first ring for GND, and the standard configuration for the audio, that is second ring is the right channel, and tip is the left channel. That explains that when using a standard TRS plug of a headset left and right are correct, and we have a good ground for optimal audio.

The temporary abbreviated schematic of the B+ can be found here:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/documentatio ... matics.pdf

a table describing some popular wiring schemes for adapter(cables) can be found here:
http://pinoutsguide.com/PortableDevices ... nout.shtml

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:27 pm

AndrewS wrote:
redhawk wrote:I really hate these 4 pole connectors not because they exist but the fact that manufacturers couldn't be bothered to standardise them properly in the first place.

Cynics might say that it was to ensure that you needed to buy a separate "official" cable for each device? :( :?
#

In the Raspi case it's to reduce component count (and board design difficulty), and thereby make the board cheaper to make, so that you can have all those extra features for NO ADDITIONAL COST!

In Apple's case it's to screw the customer for EVERY PENNY THEY HAVE.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

toxibunny

Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:30 pm

Meta-cynicism. I like it.
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:31 pm

jamesh wrote:
AndrewS wrote:

#

In the Raspi case it's to reduce component count (and board design difficulty), and thereby make the board cheaper to make, so that you can have all those extra features for NO ADDITIONAL COST!

In Apple's case it's to screw the customer for EVERY PENNY THEY HAVE.
Yeah, but the MS Zune cable is identical to the Ipod cable, so the same should logically be true for Microsoft too!

But I'm guessing this is now the most imitated cable by Chinese clones, so availability and cost should not be an issue. :D

AndrewS

Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:34 pm

To clarify - I wasn't moaning about the RPF (I think the much-smaller 4-pole AV jack is a great addition), I was just moaning about there being so many different 4-pole AV "standards". Of course it totally makes sense for the RPi to use the 'most popular' standard. :)

pluggy

Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:40 pm

4 USBs and switching regs will do me. I've never actually used the composite video (or the audio) on a Pi.

This cheapskate went for CPC's free UK delivery so I'll probably get my B+ next week......
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:53 pm

In my experiance for small orders CPC and farnell's free delivery usually means first class post but they often post stuff so late that it doesn't get delivered next day.

MrEngman

Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:00 pm

I ordered my B+ yesterday from CPC. I then decided I needed another PSU so placed a second order for a PSU both orders with free delivery. The PSU arrived this morning by Royal Mail. Hopefully the B+ will arrive tomorrow. My micro SD cards are ready and waiting. :lol:

MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

PhillyNJ

Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:17 pm

CPC?

MrEngman

Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:22 pm

Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

rpdom

Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:46 pm

I ordered my B+ from Farnell yesterday afternoon for £29.22 with free shipping, and the postie delivered it this morning with Royal Mail 24 Hour postage. :)

jamesh

Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:48 pm

rpdom wrote:I ordered my B+ from Farnell yesterday afternoon for £29.22 with free shipping, and the postie delivered it this morning with Royal Mail 24 Hour postage. :)
So, you got a sophisticated computer and multimedia processor, 512MB RAM, 4 USB ports and someone carried it halfway across the country for you, all for £29.22?

Bargain!

Although, surely it would have been better with......a 2Ghz ARMv7 quad core with 2GB RAM, Gigabit ethernet, SATA, POE, Wireless N, and 128 USB ports? And should have been delivered before the birth of Christ and be powered by unicorn tears! I mean really, what were the Foundation thinking?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

Jessie

Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:55 pm

Wireless N? Don't be cheap I want 802.11AC.

Return to “General discussion”