rasp14

Minimun Power Required to Run Turbo Mode without Any Issue

Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:34 am

Hi All,

I've own a Pi for almost a month now and I'm happy with its performance so far. Now i would like to try to boost the Pi performance through overclocking in raspi-config.

The thing is i tried Turbo mode before and it corrupted my SD card in next boot. Did a little investigation and i find out it is most likely my power supply issue. Currently my PSU is a smartphone charger with 5V 1A rating. Voltage across TP1 and TP2 is 5.01-5.03V in shutdown mode. It is working under normal condition but i guess it is not good enough to support overclock.

I did some googling on this topic and seems like i can't find info on minimum power require to run overclock Turbo mode without any issue.

Hopefully someone can point me to the right direction before i spend some money on PSU. What is the minimum required voltage across TP1 and TP2 and what is the minium current required for Pi to work on Turbo mode without any issue.

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

rpdom

Re: Minimun Power Required to Run Turbo Mode without Any Iss

Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:45 am

Basically you want to have as close to 5V across the test points, when running, as possible.

The Pi will run with less volts, but you will lose stability on the Network and USB (and maybe HDMI - I think that uses 5V for something).

Some Raspis will just not handle Turbo overclocking. If it doesn't work for you, don't do it.

Also, try a different SD card.

rasp14

Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:00 am

rpdom wrote:Basically you want to have as close to 5V across the test points, when running, as possible.

The Pi will run with less volts, but you will lose stability on the Network and USB (and maybe HDMI - I think that uses 5V for something).

Some Raspis will just not handle Turbo overclocking. If it doesn't work for you, don't do it.

Also, try a different SD card.
Is it going to help if i boost the voltage accross TP1 and TP2 close to 5.25V under shutdown mode? Currently under load and no overclock, my Pi's TP1 and TP2 currently is around 4.83-4.85V. Which i think is not enough to support overclock.

RaTTuS

Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:13 am

probably not
the internals all run at 3.3V and less .. 5.0 is mainly for the USB but the VR may not work properly enough if less than 5.75 YMMV
some RPI's may just not overclock
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

rasp14

Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:21 am

RaTTuS wrote:probably not
the internals all run at 3.3V and less .. 5.0 is mainly for the USB but the VR may not work properly enough if less than 5.75 YMMV
some RPI's may just not overclock
In that case i think i have to try each option and see which one my Pi can handle best. However how to check whether my Pi can handle the overclock well without getting my SD card corrupted?

redhawk

Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:34 am

The Pi SoC is designed to run at 700MHz without fail but when you're overclocking you're pushing it out of spec.
Each SoC is different you may have a good one that can be pushed to 1GHz or one that can only manage 900MHz.
Bottom line is there's no magic formula for running the Pi at top speed you'll have to do some trial runs to see what happens.

Richard S.

pluggy

Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:16 pm

The extra power required for overclocking will be next door to insignificant on a Pi 'B' - most of the power is taken my the USB/Ethernet LAN chip, and of that used by the SOC, most is taken by the GPU, the CPU is a VERY minor player in the power stakes.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

gkreidl

Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:40 pm

pluggy wrote:The extra power required for overclocking will be next door to insignificant on a Pi 'B' - most of the power is taken my the USB/Ethernet LAN chip, and of that used by the SOC, most is taken by the GPU, the CPU is a VERY minor player in the power stakes.
But this may be very different if you also overclock the GPU (all parts of it), as I do.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Return to “General discussion”