jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: CAN WE DIRECTLY CONNECT WIFI MODULE WITH RASPBERRY PI?

Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:16 pm

You are going to have to supply rather more information than that to get an answer.

1. USB or a direct HW connection? USB works fine.
2. Do you have a particular HW device in mind?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

tilaksraj007

Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:20 pm

hw??

i just want to stream onsite video on my laptop through wifi module....

masterluke

Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:27 pm

If you are asking if you can add a USB wifi adaptor to your Pi then the answer is probably yes. It depends on which USB wifi adaptor you are talking about. See here...

http://elinux.org/RPi_USB_Wi-Fi_Adapters

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:08 pm

If I take the word "directly" as the key here, that is without using a powered USB hub, then the answer is "it depends".
You see with a maximum input current of about 1.1 Amp, and a own consumption of about 0.7A, the PI can only provide its two USB ports with 1 - 0.7 = 0.3Amp, or 300mA, so only if all your USB devices (plus potentially the HDMI port) together draw less than 300mA it could Work, IF your power supply is up to the task.

Assuming you are only using a normal USB keyboard, and a normal HDMI cable to a HDMI monitor, they together will consume about 100mA, which means there is only 200 or so mA left for the WiFi module, which could be a problem, as most of them need more than that to work reliable (that is, even when momentarily more power is needed than on average, the maximum is still below 200mA).

For a reliable WiFi connection a powered USB hub is really almost a prerequisite, the FAQ also mentions this.
If you need to connect a USB device that will take the power requirements of the Raspberry Pi above 1 Amp then you must connect it to an externally powered USB hub.

Return to “General discussion”