mfletcher

Raspian like Distro but for PC's

Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:53 pm

Hi,

Apologies in advance if this is considered off topic. My employer just recently got rid of a lot of old Dell desktop computers. I managed to set aside 10 of them for myself. They're Dell Optiplex 760's. Im planning on giving them to my brother in law, whos a teacher, and he's going to give them out to kids at his local school.

This leads me to my question - I love how Raspian is setup with all the tools on your desktop needed to start coding in Scratch or Python. I was wondering if theres something similar for PC's that is education related. Ok, I could just go and install Ubuntu on them, but I was hoping for a distro that would provide the same oobe as Raspian.

Best Regards,

Mark

redhawk

Re: Raspian like Distro but for PC's

Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:29 pm

There are no Raspbian like distros for the PC as far as I'm aware of, however there is nothing stopping you installing Ubuntu or Mint and manually installing installing educational software yourself.

Richard S.

fruitoftheloom

Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:40 pm

Raspbain Wheezy is based of Debain Wheezy

Install Debain Wheezy with the LXDE Desktop (or Lubuntu) and will have a similar look and feel....

Then just install both Scratch 1.4 and Python from their repositories
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

diederik

Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:25 pm

While I think fruitoftheloom's suggestion is the best, you can 'clone' the package list by doing the following:

Code: Select all

dpkg --get-selections > package-list.txt
on the RaspberryPi.
Then on the new system, after installing a (base) Debian system, do

dpkg --set-selections < package-list.txt
apt-get dselect-upgrade

johndough

Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:04 pm

Hi

Hope this helps...

Obviously http://distrowatch.com/ has hundreds of Linux distros to choose from

Consider
Edubuntu UKnow4Kids http://www.linuxschools.com/
Qimo Sugar www.sugarlabs.org/ Ubermix www.ubermix.org/

Qimo because it can be run 'live' to see if it is suitable, and is pretty light on needs.
This is US based, but country and keyboard etc is no trouble to set.
http://www.simplehelp.net/2009/06/29/qi ... -for-kids/
Qimo – an Operating System designed for kids
by Ross McKillop on June 29, 2009
Qimo is a desktop operating system designed for kids. Based on the open source Ubuntu Linux desktop, Qimo comes pre-installed with educational games for children aged 3 and up.

Qimo’s interface has been designed to be intuitive and easy to use, providing large icons for all installed games, so that even the youngest users have no trouble selecting the activity they want.

Qimo needs a minimum of 256MB of memory to run from the CD, or 192MB to install. At least 6 GB of hard drive space is recommended, and a 400MHz or faster CPU. Because of its very minimal system requirements, it’s a fantastic OS to install on that old PC sitting in your closet and put in your childs room.

This tutorial will guide you through installing Qimo, and give a brief overview of the apps that are included, as well as instructions on removing some of the ones you may not want your child to access.

To get started, download the Qimo .iso file. You’ll need to burn this .iso to a CD or DVD (it does fit on a CD). Once completed, insert the CD/DVD into your CD/DVD-ROM and boot up your computer. Make sure that your PC is set to boot from the CD/DVD drive first (before the hard disk or other drive).

You’ll be presented with the initial Qimo boot screen. Because Qimo is a LiveCD, you can try it before you install it, if you’d like. Select Try Qimo without any change to your computer if you’d like to give it a run before you actually install it. This tutorial will actually walk you through the complete installation process – to do so click the down arrow on your keyboard to highlight Install Qimo and then hit Enter.

The Qimo installer will begin to load.
The first step of the installation is to select your language. Do so from the list on the left side of the screen, and then click the Forward button.

Now select the city closest to you (in your time zone) from the drop-down menu, and click the Forward button.

Read more at http://www.simplehelp.net/2009/06/29/qi ... 2mfweFO.99

r3d4

Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:57 pm

johndough wrote:Hi

Hope this helps...

Obviously http://distrowatch.com/ has hundreds of Linux distros to choose from
And or the
GNU\Linux Distribution Timeline
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... meline.svg
Last edited by r3d4 on Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Real life is, to most, a long second-best, a perpetual compromise between the ideal and the possible.
-
Meanwhile, the sysadmin who accidentally nuked the data reckons "its best not run anything more with sudo today"
-
what about spike milligan?

jgagnon

Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:58 pm

diederik wrote:While I think fruitoftheloom's suggestion is the best, you can 'clone' the package list by doing the following:

dpkg --get-selections > package-list.txt
on the RaspberryPi.
Then on the new system, after installing a (base) Debian system, do

dpkg --set-selections < package-list.txt
apt-get dselect-upgrade
THAT is a useful piece of information to know. THANK YOU!

AndrewS

Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:46 am

But be aware that a small number of the packages installed will obviously be Raspberry-Pi-specific and so not installable on a standard x86 PC.

fruitoftheloom

Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:24 am

AndrewS wrote:But be aware that a small number of the packages installed will obviously be Raspberry-Pi-specific and so not installable on a standard x86 PC.

The OP stated "start coding in Scratch or Python" so he is well sorted with a Debian or Debian based Distro
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

Return to “General discussion”