Chris Tyler

Re: Give One Get One Sponsorship

Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:11 pm

The "Give One Get One" idea has been mentioned a number of times. I was thinking about this yesterday and it occurred to me that there might be a good role for a corporate sponsor in this.

Here's what I've been thinking:
- The Raspberry Pi is an inexpensive device.
- Shipping and Handling/Post & Packing (S&H, or P&P) will be significant relative to the cost of the device.
- Finding a sponsor to cover the cost of S&H for Give One Get One purchases could provide a great incentive for purchasers to take part in that promotion.

If the Raspberry Pi costs £15/$25, and S&H is (say) £5/$8 for a total of £20/$33, then S&H is a significant part of the total. If the shipping were covered on a Give-One-Get-One deal at twice base price (£30/$50), the incremental cost to the purchaser for "giving one" is small. The sponsoring company (that covered the cost of the shipping) would look good, and the value of their donation would effectively be multiplied by 3 by the people taking advantage of the deal.

(Since the boards are so small/light the difference between shipping one and two boards will probably be tiny, so maybe there could be a "Give Two, Get Two, with faster shipping!" option, too).

Just a thought...

Chris

Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:26 pm

To be honest, I have a feeling that x amount of the community will most likely donate R-Pi's purely from the profit they would be making from them.

The plans for R-Pi, some Majour ones too on just a hobby level could make a nice bit of cash whacked on ebay, but if someone took the R-Pi and Manufacured it into a product rather than the homebrew off the shelf kit mashed up. There would be a real money spinner.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:29 pm

We are talking with a few corporate sponsors at the moment - I'm not naming names yet, though. The buy one give one scheme will result in large shipments being sent out, and the margin on the boards themselves should cover those shipments (a nice thing about Raspi is that we can fit a *lot* in a small space, which is good news for shipping). The sums we're being offered from business sponsors should be covering a lot more than shipping - watch this space!
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

obarthelemy

Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:35 pm

Can we have an idea of how many Pis paying customers in your original education/charity (not forum nerds ^^) seem interested in ? And non-paying ones ? I understand if that info is confidential though.

liz

Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:45 pm

It's not really useful information at the moment because we haven't processed it all yet - we've had to ask some people to come back to us in November with their figures, because as you know, we're not taking concrete orders yet. What we've had are what I suppose you could term expressions of interest. This sort of information will be released later on when we're actually taking real orders, but it's too fluid at the moment.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

johnkay

Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:58 am

Hi peeps,  (rant on)

it really gets my goat the number of folks on the wire talking about making this or that with the pi, or can we buy hundreds? etc, and how much they could sell them for as appliances on ebay. grrrh

It's a charity, it makes no profit, it's for educating kids (of any age).

The world and its dog just seem so selfish, me me me.  (rant off)

I think the "give one get one" idea is perfect. it did loads for the OLPC.

Judging by the number of posts to this topic I suspect it will not happen that way, just my pennies worth.

any way

"let them eat pie"

jk

Return to “General discussion”