GuidoCw2002

Shut Down Option

Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:15 am

I was trying to find another way of shutting down my Raspberry Pi instead of pulling the cable out, and I found the shut down command. So I didn't really understand it, so I turn it of and go somewhere when I come back to go on it again I get to the login, type in pi for the username. It then says shutting Down and system going down on the day I set it, but it won't let me put in the password. WHAT DO I DO!?! :?

stevepdp

Re: Shut Down Option

Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:35 am

I may be misreading you, but it sounds like you've either not issued one of the proper shutdown commands or have unknowingly changed your root password.

There are a handful of ways to shut down the pi, my favourite method is the following:

Code: Select all

sudo telinit 0
This will also work, and is perhaps easier to remember:

Code: Select all

sudo poweroff
You will need to enter your "raspberry" password for both commands, because they require sudo elevation.

If the "raspberry" password isn't working, then it's possible you might have changed your root password. The easiest way out of this I feel would be to backup your existing work and reset the Pi back to it's original state. If you're running NOOBs, then this is a simple case of holding down SHIFT on boot and following the instructions.

GuidoCw2002

Re: Shut Down Option

Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:31 pm

Thank you very Mich

Return to “General discussion”