MrMaxP

MP3 playback in a commercial product

Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:36 pm

Hi all,

I'm thinking of making a commercial Pi project which would sell as a complete module with Pi and software (written in C) as a sealed unit. I need to play back mp3 files but I'm having trouble finding a library or source code that has a licence that suits me. I don't want to release my source code and the software I sell is essentially embedded into the device and the user has no access to it.

I'm happy to buy an implementation (assuming it's cheap) and I'm happy to pay a small (tiny) royalty per unit for mp3 playback if needed.

Can anyone suggest a library or source code to either suite my requirements or someone who are willing to licence their code to me commercially?

Thanks,
Max

stevepdp

Re: MP3 playback in a commercial product

Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:45 pm

Does it absolutely need to play back MP3 files?

OGG Vorbis may suit your needs. It's open source and licensed in such a way that allows for commercial closed source redistribution. I've seen evidence of it in AAA games for example.

See here for the FAQ.

MrMaxP

Re: MP3 playback in a commercial product

Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:29 pm

Unfortunately, yes. The user supplies the files and I think forcing conversion to Vorbis as a requirement would limit the usage.

I use Ogg/Vorbis on most of my projects where I get to chose the encoding (including several AAA games :) ). It's a shame it's virtually unheard of with the general public.

Max

Return to “General discussion”