stormsoul

Raspberry Pi with more RAM

Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:54 pm

I was wondering if there are any plans in the works for a Pi with more RAM? I would be definitely be interested in this and I would appreciate it if somebody could let me know.

Thanks and regards

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Re: Raspberry Pi with more RAM

Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:02 pm

No plans for a new pi have been announced.

1pi2much

Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:23 am

ShiftPlusOne wrote:No plans for a new pi have been announced.
That is most unfortunate !

I was hoping that a new Pi would be something like the Odroid U3, with
the Raspberry PI ecosystem (Strawberry PI? ) :D

--

W. H. Heydt

Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:06 am

In answer to the initial question...No, because no one makes a larger memory module compatible with the SoC used in the Pi...Or, at least, not a price that would be feasible to use in a Pi.

In the longer run, in order to have more memory, you'd have to have to use a different SoC, which would entail designing an entirely new board.

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:19 am

I think we'd all love a beefed up pi, but if the Foundation can't do that and retain the price point, then it's no longer a cheap throwaway educational computer, but yet another dev board.

From what I understand, in order to upgrade, they'd need to source a new SoC. That means throwing out all of the hard work that went into developing the firmware, optimising software, the camera, the display board that's in development, etc. Then there's all the third party stuff people have developed, like educational material, shields/plates/add-ons, cases and so on. I don't think it would be smart to change the hardware unless it can retain compatibility with the current software and hardware. If (when) Broadcom comes up with another chip that is similar enough, then there might be something to speculate about.

gregor3000

Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:06 am

perhaps Hackberry or simialr board is what you are after?

jamesh

Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:40 am

1pi2much wrote:
ShiftPlusOne wrote:No plans for a new pi have been announced.
That is most unfortunate !

I was hoping that a new Pi would be something like the Odroid U3, with
the Raspberry PI ecosystem (Strawberry PI? ) :D

--
Unfortunate? Why? Why do you need so much memory?

If you want more memory there are other devices out there. More expensive though. Remember that the Raspi has hit a sweet spot of price/performance, and even if it were possible to add more memory, the hit to that price point may have nasty consequences.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

mikerr

Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:22 am

I'm just glad we got 512MB, 256MB WAS quite restrictive for GUI work, especially when the GPU took its chunk.

Octroid is twice the price of the pi...
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

jamesh

Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:58 am

mikerr wrote:I'm just glad we got 512MB, 256MB WAS quite restrictive for GUI work, especially when the GPU took its chunk.

Octroid is twice the price of the pi...
That move was a no brainer. No increase in cost to the end user vs very slightly less profit to Foundation/RS/Farnell.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

Ravenous

Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:04 am

Nobody will ever need more than 512MB.

:lol: I know, I just said a very dumb thing!

fanoush

Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:54 pm

jamesh wrote: That move was a no brainer. No increase in cost to the end user vs very slightly less profit to Foundation/RS/Farnell.
I wish moving model A to 512MB would be a no brainer too.

jackokring

Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:36 pm

You could connect 2 pis via ethernet cat5e and use each for a specific processing role. This would double your memory and processing resources. I often wonder what type of video processing people do to need more memory?
Pi[NFA]=B256R0USB CL4SD8GB Raspbian Stock.
Pi[Work]=A+256 CL4SD8GB Raspbian Stock.
My favourite constant 1.65056745028

1pi2much

Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:21 am

jamesh wrote:

If you want more memory there are other devices out there. More expensive though. Remember that the Raspi has hit a sweet spot of price/performance, and even if it were possible to add more memory, the hit to that price point may have nasty consequences.
I think it would enable a lot more applications if you had a quad core running at 1.7 Ghz with 2GB RAM.. dont you?
Running a decent browser, hosting a complicated website, running a DVR for my Over the Air TV signals,
hopefully all at the same time :)

The Odroid U3 with the above features was $59 when I first saw it (it has since gone up).
Not quite 2x, although it did need more proprietary accessories.

It would be interesting to have a poll here to check if people are interested.
Maybe I am the only person who wants this :)

--

Joe Schmoe

Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:25 am

1) As much as it pains me to say this, I don't think it is a coincidence that the SBC with the best community and support is the one that has held the line on the usual "continuously upgrading hardware" trend.

2) I don't think it is CPU/RAM that is holding the Pi and other ARM-based boards back from being general browsing machines. It is the lack of Flash [*].

[*] Yes, you can say all you want that Flash sucks (and you'd probably be right), but the fact is that it is almost universally used and the lack of it makes browsing the usual sites almost impossible.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

jamesh

Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:15 am

1pi2much wrote:
jamesh wrote:

I think it would enable a lot more applications if you had a quad core running at 1.7 Ghz with 2GB RAM.. dont you?
Running a decent browser, hosting a complicated website, running a DVR for my Over the Air TV signals,
hopefully all at the same time :)

The Odroid U3 with the above features was $59 when I first saw it (it has since gone up).
Not quite 2x, although it did need more proprietary accessories.

It would be interesting to have a poll here to check if people are interested.
Maybe I am the only person who wants this :)

--
All this has already been discussed to death here, and you yourself have in effect explained why things are as they are - The Odroid is twice the price! It simply not possible to make a quad core device with all those features without doubling the price. Would it sell as many as Raspi has. I doubt it. Why stop at quad code btw, 1GB, why not Octacore at 8GB. It's an ARM's race the Foundation is not interested in running given the current device does almost all that is needed.

There no doubt that (a few) more apps would be available/better if the speed was greater. But a lot more apps will also be available with better software. Which is where a lot of effort is being put.

Once the prices of faster/better SOC's come down to an acceptable price, then I am sure something will happen in this area. But not in the foreseeable future.

As for Flash - NOOOOOOOOooooooo! Fortunately flash use is dropping fairly quickly on most websites since Adobe effectively end of lined it.

Joe Schmoe

Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:10 pm

As for Flash - NOOOOOOOOooooooo! Fortunately flash use is dropping fairly quickly on most websites since Adobe effectively end of lined it.
That's just funny. I know I keep reading this here, but it just doesn't jibe with my experience.

Obviously, it is just a matter of "which websites do you frequent", but I will tell you that most "media sites" - that is, news and information sites - require Flash to display content. I know this because I am typing on a Mac right now that doesn't run Flash (b/c of some stupid concern on Apple's part - i.e., Apple is trying to enforce the "Flash is bad" mantra). As a result, most of the "media" sites that I go to (e.g., sites for TV networks or popular magazines) display the dreaded "Blocked Plugin" message instead of allowing me to view their content.

Incidentally, the messages say that my version of Flash is out-of-date and that I need to "upgrade" but upgrading is impossible (always generates some weird error message), so I'm just stuck.

Note also that my other Mac, running an older version of OSX, runs Flash just fine.

So, its a funny thing. But I just don't think that the mainstream web content providers have gotten the memo(s) yet about Flash's demise. And if they've gotten them, they're not reading 'em.

I also think that this affects mostly old-fashioned people like myself who still use this archaic technology called a "web browser". Obviously, dedicated "apps" is how mainstream "device" users get around these limitations.

And so it goes…

pluggy

Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:06 pm

Flash is like VGA, obsolete but still widely used.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

Joe Schmoe

Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:29 pm

pluggy wrote:Flash is like VGA, obsolete but still widely used.
That's the "hacker's definition" of "obsolete". Anything used by the masses is, by definition, "obsolete".

In fact, it could well be said that being "widely used" is precisely the definition of "obsolete".

What I think this really underscores is the idiocy of letting a proprietary product become a standard.
And it's only getting worse. I see the day not so far in the future when the Internet itself and Comcast are synonymous (at least in the US).

jamesh

Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:08 pm

Joe Schmoe wrote:
pluggy wrote:Flash is like VGA, obsolete but still widely used.
That's the "hacker's definition" of "obsolete". Anything used by the masses is, by definition, "obsolete".

In fact, it could well be said that being "widely used" is precisely the definition of "obsolete".
Is it me or does that make no sense whatsoever. There are perfectly good definitions of obsolete in the dictionary!

Cases in point. The internal combustion engine is widely used. The gas turbine is widely used. The ball point pen is widely used. None of these have a usable better alternative and therefore cannot be regarded as obsolete. Obsolete is when there is a better alternative that is in market.

Joe Schmoe

Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:23 pm

Obviously, we're arguing about angels and pins here (but ain't it fun!)

But, one could argue that all the things you just mentioned *are* obsolete (and I'm sure there exist people who think they are).

Conversely, I would argue that, by my own sensible definition, Flash is *not* obsolete, since so many sites still use it. I.e., if you want their content [*], you gotta run Flash. So, ya gotta run Flash.

[*] Using a standard browser interface. There are, of course, workarounds, using "apps" and other methods (such as the whole volume of information that gets frequently posted to this board in answer to the oft-asked question: How do I view YouTube vids on the Pi?")

1pi2much

Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:12 pm

jamesh wrote: It's an ARM's race the Foundation is not interested in running given the current device does almost all that is needed.
Hmm, this has the ring of what is sometimes called "Famous Last Words" :)

--

jamesh

Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:11 pm

1pi2much wrote:
jamesh wrote: It's an ARM's race the Foundation is not interested in running given the current device does almost all that is needed.
Hmm, this has the ring of what is sometimes called "Famous Last Words" :)

--
Depends on timescales. Undoubtedly something new will turn up, when circumstances make it cost effective. But not in the near future.

KeithSloan

Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:28 am

If people have exceeded the abilities of the Raspberry Pi they should just move on and buy a different development board. I have two Pi's but have just ordered a CubieBoard2 with dual core and 1Gb memory. I looked at Odroid U3 but to run 24x7 with high CPU on all 4 cores would have required a fan, which I did not want so settled for the CubieBoard2. Part of the learning experience should be to understand the level of single board SOC that is required for a certain application.
Raspberry Pi is great for beginners, but once you have learnt how to install images for the Pi and administering Linux, then other development boards should hold no fears. Okay you may have more choice on which Linux distribution or Linux versus Andoird, but you can always change as these are not cast in stone. So to the guy that wants a new Raspberry Pi with Odroid U3 spec, just buy a Odroid U3

CopterRichie

Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:52 pm

I often wondered if it is possible to access more memory via the SPI port?

jamesh

Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:39 pm

Not really. It technically possible IIRC but would have worse performance that a USB flash stick and would be a nightmare to program with as it wouldn't appears as 'main memory'

Return to “General discussion”