designer43

Re: I made a Raspberry PI Laptop

Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:28 am

The volume up/down FN keys ONLY run the display vol slider on the screen, they do not adjust output vol.
This is interesting because this is the behavior with my Motorola RAZR plugged into my Atrix lapdock.
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

konduit

Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:35 am

So I got all the parts, charged the Lapdock batteries until indicator stopped blinking, and tried to hook this up, but cannot seem to get the Lapdock screen to light up.

The RPi has Debian running fine with an external HDMI monitor and logitech K520 wireless KB and mouse.

1) Lapdock Atrix-port mini USB connected to RPi USB (red wire cut).
2) Lapdock Atrix-port mini HDMI connected to RPi HDMI.
3) Separate power to RPi mini USB.
4) Power to Lapdock.

TEST1: Plug-in RPi, Open Lapdock lid
TEST2: Open Lapdock lid, Power RPi.
Neither gets a reaction out of the Lapdock except for the batt light coming on from being powered up.
RPi also gets normal LED sequences from a boot cycle.

The manuals that came with my Lapdocks (I bought two) were all in Spanish, so I'm not sure from where they originated. The box each came in also did not have the AT&T logo I saw in Adafruit video, but rather a Motorola logo, "Welcome to the future of mobile computing" blazed accross the front, and "Lapdock for Motorolal Atrix" printed in the lower left corner.

Any tips for troubleshooting the Lapdock would be greatly appreciated.

bstag

Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:29 am

Try this in config.txt located in /boot

hdmi_force_hotplug=1

Vindicator

Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:16 am

I would suggest also add this line to /boot/config.txt

config_hdmi-boost=4

This raises the signal level output of the HDMI from the pi to help an HDMI device detect the RASPI.

this is currently the contents of my config.text on my lapdock.
Mine is overclocked to 900 so you might want to lower those figures until yours is running(these settings run my pi without any problems even in Quake 3)

arm_freq=900 (700 is default)

sdram_freq=500 (originally 250)

core_freq=320 (also 250 I believe)

gpu_freq=320 ( again default is 250)

hdmi_group=2

config_hdmi-boost=4

hdmi_drive=2

disable_overscan=1

framebuffer_width=1366

framebuffer_height=768
If you are more worried about ,spelling, punctuation or grammar you have probably already missed the point so please just move on.

edd247

Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:49 pm

Just an FYI, Verizon wireless has the Lapdock 100 on sale for $50 in store only. Just picked one up but still waiting for my adapters & cables :(

kongorilla

Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:44 pm

This isn't genius stuff, but I thought I'd show my cable. Since I have a 3D printer, I had visions of making an amazing custom dock, but then I was confronted by reality of the Pi's odd port layout, and the HDMI adapters. The effort/reward ratio of that project took a mortal blow. So I took the easy path (for now). I found an old Ace Hardware inline power cord switch in my parts bin which worked out well, even if it's not the sexiest component in the world.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/91789568@N ... 457362072/

konduit

Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:50 am

Thanks for trying to help. I tried creating /boot/config.txt
and adding just:
config_hdmi-boost=4

I also tried incuding all of these:
hdmi_group=2
config_hdmi-boost=4
hdmi_drive=2
disable_overscan=1
framebuffer_width=1366
framebuffer_height=768

Still no change in response from the Lapdock.

Still boots fine with Logitech KB and Ario HDMI monitor.

EdwinJ85

Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:23 pm

Hi guys,

I was thinking of trying this myself, but I can't find a lapdock on ebay or amazon for less than £100 - are there any still going at a more reasonable price?

Thanks!
Hello!

konduit

Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:39 am

I thought I might try a different vendor for the HDMI and USB cables/adapters, but I cant seem to find any female micro HDMI-to-male HDMI out there anymore. I also need female micro USB-to-male USB. I don't quite understand the purpose behind "cutting the red wire" in the USB connection between the Atrix micro USB and the RPi USB, so maybe I made a mistake there.

edd247

Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:32 pm

konduit wrote:So I got all the parts, charged the Lapdock batteries until indicator stopped blinking, and tried to hook this up, but cannot seem to get the Lapdock screen to light up.

The RPi has Debian running fine with an external HDMI monitor and logitech K520 wireless KB and mouse.

1) Lapdock Atrix-port mini USB connected to RPi USB (red wire cut).
2) Lapdock Atrix-port mini HDMI connected to RPi HDMI.
3) Separate power to RPi mini USB.
4) Power to Lapdock.

TEST1: Plug-in RPi, Open Lapdock lid
TEST2: Open Lapdock lid, Power RPi.
Neither gets a reaction out of the Lapdock except for the batt light coming on from being powered up.
RPi also gets normal LED sequences from a boot cycle.

The manuals that came with my Lapdocks (I bought two) were all in Spanish, so I'm not sure from where they originated. The box each came in also did not have the AT&T logo I saw in Adafruit video, but rather a Motorola logo, "Welcome to the future of mobile computing" blazed accross the front, and "Lapdock for Motorolal Atrix" printed in the lower left corner.

Any tips for troubleshooting the Lapdock would be greatly appreciated.
I had the same issue and I got the lapdock to turn on when I used a different HDMI cable

brock

Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:32 pm

Got mine working! The touchpad & Wifi wasn't working correctly on 2012-08-16-wheezy-raspbian. I just saw that 2012-09-18-wheezy-raspbian was JUST released today and loaded it onto an SD card and now everything works out of the box, no linux configuration (outside of config.txt for HDMI resolution) needed!

Followed reddit user mathematical's guide of what to adapters buy from eBay. Spiced together a Y cable USB and it was powered!

My config.txt has the following additions to get the resolution correct and send sound out:

Code: Select all

disable_overscan=1
hdmi_drive=2
framebuffer_width=1366
framebuffer_height=768
Here's some info on the setup used:

Code: Select all

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9512 Standard Microsystems Corp.
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp.
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0424:2517 Standard Microsystems Corp. Hub
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 22b8:0938 Motorola PCS
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 1241:0003 Belkin
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 7392:7811 Edimax Technology Co., Ltd EW-7811Un 802.11n Wireless Adapter [Realtek RTL8188CUS]
Bus 001 Device 008: ID 045e:0039 Microsoft Corp. IntelliMouse Optical

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ uname -a
Linux raspberrypi 3.2.27+ #160 PREEMPT Mon Sep 17 23:18:42 BST 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
snd_bcm2835            19889  0
snd_pcm                74834  1 snd_bcm2835
snd_seq                52536  0
snd_timer              19698  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd_seq_device          6300  1 snd_seq
snd                    52489  5 snd_seq_device,snd_timer,snd_seq,snd_pcm,snd_bcm2835
snd_page_alloc          4951  1 snd_pcm
8192cu                485042  0
evdev                   8682  8
joydev                  9102  0
Attachments
IMG_1226.JPG
Working Raspberry Pi Motorola Lapdock (Pidock)
IMG_1226.JPG (56.78 KiB) Viewed 5841 times

malakai

Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:08 pm

Waiting all my parts to join the portable age with the PI

But I have found these cables they do come in 1 foot length if you want to get away from the splicing

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 12-200-736

http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

davidkennedy85

Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:24 pm

malakai wrote:But I have found these cables they do come in 1 foot length if you want to get away from the splicing...
That's a USB mini. Is there something similar that goes to USB micro?

Also, would you still need to cut the 5v wire?

edd247

Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:47 pm

davidkennedy85 wrote:That's a USB mini. Is there something similar that goes to USB micro?

Also, would you still need to cut the 5v wire?
This cable should work:
http://dx.com/p/micro-usb-female-to-mic ... 901?item=2

I believe the 5v wire will need to be cut, so that power is not being sent to the pi's USB port

malakai

Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:54 pm

Sorry I hurried got the wrong link

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-USB2 ... B0047AALW6

USB2HAUBY3 = 3' if you want one longer
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:11 am

For those looking for the Atrix lapdock, here it is for $50 (in the U.S.): http://www.bensoutlet.com/products/lapd ... mailvision
Note that the keyboard includes both English and Hebrew characters, so, this model will be perfect for "Steve" to go with his free Pi, if he's ever able to convince Eben to send him one (what a Grinch! :lol: ).
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

Vindicator

Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:48 am

Jim I hope your not contemplating any controversial internet movies also.LOL
If you are more worried about ,spelling, punctuation or grammar you have probably already missed the point so please just move on.

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:29 am

Vindicator wrote:Jim I hope your not contemplating any controversial internet movies also.LOL
I'm not looking for a lapdock with keys featuring Arabic characters if that's what you mean and, unfortunately, all of the lapdocks ever offered have these pesky keys with numerals that come from ... Arabic! :shock:

The next thing you know, the lapdocks will be capable of displaying the likeness of a certain 7th Century religious figure ... in 3-D!! OH NOOOO, MR. BILL, IT'S SLUGGO!!! :lol:
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats

EdwinJ85

Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:34 pm

Jim Manley wrote:For those looking for the Atrix lapdock, here it is for $50 (in the U.S.): http://www.bensoutlet.com/products/lapd ... mailvision
Note that the keyboard includes both English and Hebrew characters, so, this model will be perfect for "Steve" to go with his free Pi, if he's ever able to convince Eben to send him one (what a Grinch! :lol: ).
I live in he UK and these guys only seem to ship to the USA?

:(
Hello!

kyelo

Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:41 pm

konduit said:
I cant seem to find any female micro HDMI-to-male HDMI out there anymore
Check these out:

http://www.amazon.com/Micro-Female-Con ... 92wt_1397

I have the one from amazon.com paired with an 8 inch male-female full-size HDMI cable. The adapter is a little too big to sit unmodified next to the Y-blackberry cable, so using a Dremel moto-tool with an abrasive bit, I gently trimmed it down a little...it now fits quite well and works great.

I should mention that the 8-inch HDMI cable puts a lot of torque on the system. I think a 12 or 18 inch length cable would be preferable, but I have not seen one so far.

davidkennedy85

Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:07 pm

edd247 wrote: This cable should work:
http://dx.com/p/micro-usb-female-to-mic ... 901?item=2
Found a couple off brands of the same thing:

http://www.amazon.com/SEIDIO-DUAL-HEAD- ... B002N7HK9M

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-AUDM6BEBX ... gy_e_img_y

The retractable feature would be nice but it is way more expensive.

selectnone

Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:44 pm

FYI, I've just installed the latest Raspbian, and found that the I can now get my wifi-dongle working without disabling the ethernet!

Jim Manley

Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:00 pm

Note that this cable set is designed only for charging two micro-USB powered devices simultaneously. It does not contain data conductors/wires in either cable - not so great for getting the lapdock keyboard, trackpad, and USB hub connected to the Pi.

davidkennedy85

Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:25 pm

Jim Manley wrote: Note that this cable set is designed only for charging two micro-USB powered devices simultaneously. It does not contain data conductors/wires in either cable - not so great for getting the lapdock keyboard, trackpad, and USB hub connected to the Pi.
Oops. Thanks for pointing that out! Removing the link in original post...

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm too late. Wish there was a way to modify older posts :oops:

Deicist

Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:43 am

I s anyone making / planning to make a full set of these cables available for delivery in the UK? Or even better an all in one cable that does the job?

A few people have mentioned in the thread they'd be willing to pay for this (me being one) because we're just too lazy to go through the hassle of ordering them all separately / splice them ourselves.

Return to “General discussion”