godameda

Re: I made a Raspberry PI Laptop

Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:44 pm

Lob0426 wrote:You need three things to get a RasPi to work with the Lapdock. There is a panel on the back left that flips up. Inside that is two connectors. One is Micro HDMI (on the right) and the other is Micro USB (on the left).

1. You have to run power and ground from the micro USB connector on the Lapdock (left) to the RasPi.

2. You have to run two Data lines (data+ and Data-) from the Lapdock connector to one of the USB ports on the RasPi on the left to use the keyboard, mouse etc. Most of us build a "Y" cable to do this. It has three legs. First leg: A micro USB female end to connect to the Lapdock connector. Second leg: A micro USB male to connect to the RasPi power in. Third leg: A USB "A" male end that has only the Data lines to connect to one of the RasPI USB ports.

3. You have to have an adapter from the Micro HDMI on the right to a full size HDMI to plug into the RasPi.

There HAS to be a signal from the HDMI to use the two ports from the internal hub on the back of the Lapdock.
Edit: you also have to lift the Lapdock top up some or the Lapdock USB ports are dead.

Sorry if this sounds too over simplified but that is the Basics that are needed to get the Lapdock hardware working.

Thanks for the reply,

I used the micro usb only for the data. (I cut the red wire coming from the micro usb). And used one of the USB ports on the back to power the PI, but when I open the lapdock top and still, no power comes to the PI.

I have a female micro to female micro HDMI adapter, and a micro to HDMI cable plugging in the PI. But the lapdock screen never gives any signal.

I will try to get a picture of my setup. I'm just wondering if there is something wrong with the lapdock.

Lob0426

Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:31 pm

An you tried a separate power source. Sounds like you may have a bad Lapdock. Have you tried to plus some other HDMI device into it to see if you get a picture?
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

Annie

Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:18 pm

Thank you very much for this wonderful thread! I found a Lapdock on ebay (Germany) for really small money and ordered all cables and the adapter today immediately after buying the Lapdock. I am really excited and hope so much that all parts arrive in no time at all. :lol:

AndrewS

Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:35 am

godameda: sounds like you might have a chicken-and-egg situation?
The USB ports on the back of the lapdock aren't powered on, because the HDMI isn't active, and so the Pi won't power-up.
And because the Pi isn't powered-up, the HDMI won't become active, and the back-USB ports won't power on... :?

I suggest you make up the "Y-cable" that's already been mentioned several times in this thread - the difference is that power is always available from the Lapdock's MicroUSB connection, so the Pi will power up, so the HDMI will become active, and the screen will turn on, and the lapdock's back-USB ports will power up...

adammarks

Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:28 pm

Just wanted to add some knowledge to this thread, I went through 2 lapdocks before I finally figured out what was wrong.

The type of HDMI cable matters.

The symptom I was seeing was that even though everything was hooked up right the lapdock would not power up. Since the lapdock powers up by sensing the signal to the HDMI port it must be sensitive to the HDMI cable itself.

The cable that wasn't working was longer and thicker than the one that worked, so when sourcing HDMI cables look for short and thin.

Lob0426

Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:50 pm

adammarks wrote:Just wanted to add some knowledge to this thread, I went through 2 lapdocks before I finally figured out what was wrong.

The type of HDMI cable matters.

The symptom I was seeing was that even though everything was hooked up right the lapdock would not power up. Since the lapdock powers up by sensing the signal to the HDMI port it must be sensitive to the HDMI cable itself.

The cable that wasn't working was longer and thicker than the one that worked, so when sourcing HDMI cables look for short and thin.
I did not encounter this, but I used a very short HDMI adapter cable to a adapter. I bought my lap dock with cables, a Micro HDMI female to micro male and a micro USB female to micro male. My brother powered it up (I was on vacation) just by plugging in the USB cable and the HDMI cable with HDMI adapter. He made sure it worked first. Then he built a power/data "Y" cable using the micro USB cable and stealing the end off of a USB "A" cable. You might find that setting:
config_hdmi_boost=4
This may help as it drives the HDMI with more power. Longer cables equal more resistance. And SHORT is the key really not thin. Thickness does not always indicate heavier or better wire, but thin almost always indicates worse wire.
Some config.txt settings for the Lapdock:

Code: Select all

hdmi_force_hotplug=1

# below needed for HDMI sound
hdmi_drive=2

hdmi_group=2
# below cured issue with a blank screen at Quake3 start.
config_hdmi_boost=4

disable_overscan=1
framebuffer_width=1366
framebuffer_height=768
These are what my brother and I are using successfully on our Lapdocks.

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:29 pm

Everyone else has pretty well summarized all of the requirements. Note that the Pi must be connected by HDMI (or composite) to whatever kind of display is used before the Pi is powered up. It senses whether there is a load on the Pi HDMI port and interrogates the display for its attributes. Once the Pi is powered up, you can unplug and plug the HDMI cable to your heart's content and the video will display just fine (well, when the cable is plugged in ;) ). There is a tiny white LED adjacent to the upper left corner of the trackpad that will come on when the display is being sent a signal, even before the signal syncs up and the display comes on (it sometimes takes a second or two for the video to display on mine).

You mentioned cutting the red wire on the USB cable - that doesn't sound right. Red is normally power, black is ground, and yellow/white/green/etc. are data plus/minus (you have to use an oscilloscope to tell which is which - it really doesn't matter). So, the red and black wire should continue to the microUSB power connector on the Pi, and the other two wires on the USB cable should be cut, split off, and connected to the non-red/black wires on a cable with a male USB A connector that is then plugged into a Pi USB port. Remember to preposition heat shrink tubing around each wire and the outside of the cables themselves (as far away from the soldering as possible!) before you solder the wires, not after as I inevitably do! :roll:
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

Lob0426

Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:10 am

@Jim Manley: But you do such a better job the second time. After you desolder them and THEN put the Heat Shrink on. I know I do ;) !

godameda

Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:45 pm

Sorry for taking a long time to reply, but I am actually on vacations with my family in the US, and am trying to get the Pi working with the lapdock in between activities.

I have attached a photo of what I have setup:

Micro HDMI female to Micro HDMI female adapter -> Micro HDMI male to HDMI male.
Micro USB female to USB type A female -> USB type A male with "5v" and "gnd" going to micro USB, and the data wires going to USB type A male. (my "Y" cable).
IMG_20120724_163019.jpg
IMG_20120724_163019.jpg (52.56 KiB) Viewed 4067 times
I bought a multimeter (did not bring one on the vacation..) to see if the lapdock was outputting 5v out of the USB ports, and it is not. Not from the micro USB nor the 2 type A female ports on the back.

I tested that same USB cable from a port on my laptop (for control, so that I could exclude any problem with the USB cable) and I got 5.15V.

I do have a full battery on the lapdock (5 LEDs turn on when I press the button on the front).

My laptop has HDMI out. So I plugged it into the Lapdock, and nothing showed on the lapdock screen. theoretically, it should work, right?

As anyone had any issue with the lapdock not outputting the voltage?

Godameda

Lob0426

Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:20 pm

Sounds like your Lapdock is not working. You should be getting power at the micro USB.

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:28 pm

If you plugged the USB A male plug into the laptop and got power, you have a wiring error - you should only be getting data from there based on your description and the proper wiring configuration. You should only be getting power into the female microUSB connector on the cable from the male microUSB connector on the lapdock, which then supplies power to the Pi via its female microUSB connector from the cable's microUSB male connector.

You should be getting video to display on the lapdock by plugging the HDMI standard-size plug into your laptop and the female microHDMI connector on the lapdock microHDMI male connector. Your laptop display should momentarily turn off and then turn back on again as it enables video mirroring to the external HDMI port. If not, you may have to manually enable video mirroring in the Display control panel on the laptop (assuming Windows).

Is the tiny white LED in the upper left corner of the lapdock trackpad coming on when you connect the female microHDMI cable connector to the lapdock male microHDMI connector, and the male standard-size male connector is plugged into your laptop? If not, then there may be a cable/connector issue.

If you can't find someone locally who has an Atrix phone, you can try going to a cell carrier dealer that has the actual Atrix phone available (beware - they're moving to the Atrix HD, which may not have the same connector configuration). You could then try plugging the Atrix phone into the lapdock to verify that the lapdock is OK. There are other Motorola phones that work with more recent similar lapdock models (Model 100 and 500), but, Motorola has flipped at least one of the micro connectors 180 degrees on the newer phones and lapdocks just to screw with people who paid $400+ for the original lapdock.
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats

tekmanro

Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:22 pm

I just ordered a Raspberry Pi and managed to snag a new discounted Lapdock for $49. Looking forward to getting this set up; thanks for compiling all this information, it'll sure come in handy.

I'm wondering how feasible it is to install a touch digitizer on top of the Lapdock screen. Perhaps something like this: http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/58195 ... _11_6.html .

It's light on details and they claim the interface type is "USB", but I suspect it doesn't actually ship with a control board at that price; anyway, I've been doing some reading and it looks like most of these digitizers usually come with a 4-wire interface (analog pins at 5V). Does anyone have experience with this type of device and can comment on how difficult it would be to get it hooked up to the Pi?

Thanks!

Jim Manley

Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:13 am

For those who were asking about USB adapter cables from Amazon, this looks useful as it would require no cable cutting and soldering if you also added a female micro-USB to male USB A adaptor. Plug the micro-USB female connector into the lapdock, one micro-USB male connector into the Pi power port, and the adapted USB A plug into the Pi USB port and, in theory, it should work. The wiring seems a bit spindly, so, I'm not sure it wouldn't incur too big a voltage drop going into the Pi power port, but, since power should also be provided through a Pi USB port, that might not be an issue. I haven't found a female micro-USB to male USB A adapter on Amazon, but, here's one from China via eBay with 9 ~ 15 day shipping:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-A-type- ... 3874wt_873

I'm going to order one of the micro-USB Y cables as this would be useful to have to charge both a phone and a Bluetooth headset, so, even if it doesn't work for the lapdock, I could always use it for the phone/headset. I'll report on whether it works with the lapdock after I've received it (it's in-stock here in California, so, I should have it by the weekend).

itimpi

Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:48 am

To simplify my cable requirements and eliminate the need for a custom 'Y' USB cable for connecting to the Lapdock I did the PiPass modification to my Pi
There have been indications that this mod affects hot-plug capability into the Pi USB ports but I never do that so was not worried about that.

Then to connect the Lapdock to the Pi I got the following:
- USB: female micro USB to USB A female cable + short USB A male to USB A male cable to plug into one of the Pi USB A ports. This also provides power via the PiPass mod to the Pi micro USB port.
- HDMI: female micro HDMI to female micro HDMI adapter + male micro HDMI to female HDMI adapter + short HDMI male to HDMI male cable

This looks reasonable tidy:

As soon as I plug the HDMI into the Pi (with the Lapdock lid open) the Pi powers up, and the USB ports on the Lapdock are visible to the Pi. At that point everything automatically springs to life with the Pi correctly identifying the LapDock screen resolution and the Pi automatically using the Lapdock for Mouse, keyboard and sound. I have tried plugging a 2.5" HD or a USB flash drive into the Lapdock ports and the the Pi can see them without any issues as far as I can see.

kyelo

Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:59 pm

This sounds like something fun to do!

But I have read through all 10+ pages a couple of times and am still pretty confused as to step1, step2 etc. If it is necessary to create a "Y" cable, what is the extra limb of the "Y" for?

If the transformation is now pretty settled and "mature", would it be possible for someone who has done it to write up a summary?

Thanks.

Lob0426

Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:51 pm

kyelo wrote:This sounds like something fun to do!

But I have read through all 10+ pages a couple of times and am still pretty confused as to step1, step2 etc. If it is necessary to create a "Y" cable, what is the extra limb of the "Y" for?

If the transformation is now pretty settled and "mature", would it be possible for someone who has done it to write up a summary?

Thanks.
If you connect a cable (micro B female to micro B male) from the Lapdock to the Raspberry Pi power. All it does is power the Raspberry Pi. That is the primary connection. To use the keyboard, mouse pad and internal hub you have to connect the two "DATA" wires to one of the regular USB ports on the Raspberry Pi. That is the extra limb.

What @itimpi is proposing in the post above will also work, but is just as much work as building a "Y" cable, if not more. That also ruins the warranty on the RasPi. Of course a RasPi is only $35. Most of us have chosen to modify the cable. That way we can use our RasPii unmodified. There is also the option of just replacing one or both of the USB polyfuses with a 1ohm resistor. Then connecting a micro B female to A male USB cable to the RasPi. That leaves no limiting of power by the polyfuses, as does the PiPass. @godFather89 chose to connect to the RasPi power connector and then run two wires across the board to the USB. All in all these all end up with one of the USB ports being used. We have a very inventive lot here in this Raspberry Pi forum. Other options will probably turn up as well. There is a "Y" cable in one of the posts that might make it easier for some to get it all working. It is a cable for a Blackberry 9900. It has a micro B female that splits into a power and a data. You may just be able to replace the Data with an A connector and be running.
Last edited by Lob0426 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Manley

Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:55 pm

itimpi wrote:To simplify my cable requirements and eliminate the need for a custom 'Y' USB cable for connecting to the Lapdock I did the PiPass modification to my Pi. There have been indications that this mod affects hot-plug capability into the Pi USB ports but I never do that so was not worried about that.
Very nice! I suppose once you know what USB peripherals you will be using, hot-plugging isn't really needed. Does hot-plugging still work into the lapdock USB ports with the PiPass mod? Seems like it should since I believe those ports are on their own USB hub controller (the hub controller should show up in dmesg during power-up and in response to an lsusb command).

Geez, how much did all of those adapter cables cost? You might hold a record (well, except for the $30 pair of cables offered by one vendor)! The fit of the micro-USB and micro-HDMI female adapter sockets looks like it didn't require any trimming of the adapter plastic sheathing, so, that's a distinct advantage. I like my very short female micro-HDMI to male standard HDMI adapter (which did require trimming) as it allows the board to sit down in the flip-up cradle, as well as being able to attach a female standard HDMI to male standard HDMI extender cable to the board where it may not be possible to place the board in the cradle (e.g., in a case that's not compatible with the cradle, or where the board can't be easily moved).

kyelo

Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:23 pm

Lobo0426 said:
To use the keyboard, mouse pad and internal hub you have to connect the two "DATA" wires to one of the regular USB ports on the Raspberry Pi. That is the extra limb.
For those of us whose soldering skills are poor to non-existent, is the "Y" cable commercially available?
And I assume you would need some appropriate adapters.

Jim Manley

Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:13 pm

kyelo wrote:For those of us whose soldering skills are poor to non-existent, is the "Y" cable commercially available? And I assume you would need some appropriate adapters.
I just realized that in my post five comments above, I forgot to include the URL for the female micro-USB socket to two male micro-USB plugs Y cable listed by Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... dition=new

It requires no soldering, just plug the micro-USB female connector into the lapdock, one micro-USB male connector into the Pi power port, and the adapted USB A plug into the Pi USB port and, in theory, it should work. I couldn't find one on Amazon, but, here is a female micro-USB to male USB A adapter from China via eBay with 9 ~ 15 day shipping:

I've ordered the micro-USB Y cable and I'll report on whether it works with the lapdock as soon as I've received it by the estimated delivery date of July 30th.

Lob0426

Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:22 pm

Somewhere in this thread is this.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/micro-usb- ... 07901#open full view

It should plugg right into the Micro B USB power. Then use an adapter to plug it into the RasPi USB port. The picture shows shows one female micro B connector and two micro B male connectors but the description says there is a female Micro B to a feamle and a male micro B. If the picture is accurate this would be a very easy fix.

If the Lapdocks get popular I would guess that someone will start making a retail cable for them. Of course if they get that popular their price will go up.

Lob0426

Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:26 pm

Jim Manley wrote:
kyelo wrote:For those of us whose soldering skills are poor to non-existent, is the "Y" cable commercially available? And I assume you would need some appropriate adapters.
I just realized that in my post five comments above, I forgot to include the URL for the female micro-USB socket to two male micro-USB plugs Y cable listed by Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... dition=new

It requires no soldering, just plug the micro-USB female connector into the lapdock, one micro-USB male connector into the Pi power port, and the adapted USB A plug into the Pi USB port and, in theory, it should work. I couldn't find one on Amazon, but, here is a female micro-USB to male USB A adapter from China via eBay with 9 ~ 15 day shipping:

I've ordered the micro-USB Y cable and I'll report on whether it works with the lapdock as soon as I've received it by the estimated delivery date of July 30th.
That cable states it is for charging two devices at one. It may not have the data lines in it. I believe the cable that is mention in my above post may work. But Deal Extreme is very slow.

Jim Manley

Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:28 am

Lob0426 wrote:
That cable states it is for charging two devices at one. It may not have the data lines in it.
That's why in my original comment I mused about the skimpiness of the cable, and if it only provides power, that would explain the small diameter. Like I said, I can always use it to charge a phone and a Bluetooth headset simultaneously, or power two Pi boards. If I'm feeling particularly masochistic, I could splay open the plastic sheathing over both the female socket and one of the male plugs and shift the power lines over to the data pins at both ends. The Earth could also suddenly reverse its direction of spin on its axis - be prepared for quite a jolt long before I get around to performing surgery on this cable. This is what physicists call an ELPE - an Extremely Low Probability Event! :D

Lob0426

Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:28 am

Yep it will work as a charging cord for sure. I hope it turns out that it will have Data also. The one That is in my link we are pretty sure have what we need. And they are only $3. I may order a couple just to try out for the Lapdock. They will take 3 1/2 weeks to get here, at least the Micro HDMI to HDMI adapter did. Plus about six days for the order to be processed. It would be nice to have cable and adapter links, that we know works without any soldering. Though soldering is easy, it intimidates people. Everybody wants bolt-on/plug together solutions. Remove and replace, rather than Repair is the way nowadays.

Jim Manley

Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:59 am

A cable in the hand that doesn't work is worth two cables that might work a month away in the Chinese bush ... during that month! :D

Lob0426

Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:36 am

Jim Manley wrote:A cable in the hand that doesn't work is worth two cables that might work a month away in the Chinese bush ... during that month! :D
Cofused-cious say: "Any micro female cable, an "A" cable and soldering Iron is worth more than ALL the Cables in china "A month away" "
"Or just a soldering Iron and some wire"
"Some bubblegum and any wire"
"Why Heck a couple of paperclips if nothing else"
:lol:
;)

Return to “General discussion”