Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Re: I made a Raspberry PI Laptop

Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:17 am

There is a lot unknown about how both the Eye-Fi and Toshiba FlashAir work on-device (within their plastic enclosures). At least one thing is known in both cases though, and that's they take WiFi off the USB/Ethernet bus and place it between a filesystem (rootfs or not) and the network, and that should help reduce overall I/O contention. Most network I/O is, in fact, between filesystems and the network, e.g., file downloads, caching of web page elements that can quickly eat up precious Pi CPU RAM (especially ad spam and other superfluous data of no interest to the user), and other bulk data. When the Pi is operating with a WiFi dongle, all of the data has to move between the USB bus and the CPU and RAM before it can get to the SD card filesystem. It's entirely possible that the memory on these devices is dual-ported, where the address space can be split by on-board circuitry. If you look at the Eye-Fi teardown photos, there is an impressive amount of many kinds of circuits crammed in there.Image
The relative fractions of data paths used between the two architectures are defined by the operations going on at any given point in time, so, different users' mileage will vary. I suppose that as long as one buys each device from somewhere they can be returned with no questions asked, we should try both out under various scenarios and see which works best in each well-defined case. The ePrey $153 price for the FlashAir from a single vendor is obviously an attempt to snag early-adopter buyers' money since it's reportedly been available in Japan for around $72 when bought with Yen (and still too rich for my penny-pinching ways). Since it doesn't appear that it's officially available through U.S. distributors yet, once they do start shipping in volume to the U.S., prices should essentially become identical in the U.S. and Japan.

Ramping up for U.S. volume can be a daunting task for even the largest-capacity manufacturers and takes many months. A similar situation exists with the Pi - Eben said in Cambridge this weekend that the vast majority of ~200,000 Pi boards shipped up to this point have been to UK customers (and Europeans, to a lesser extent) because they were able to access the distributors' websites for many hours before U.S. customers could, and about a day before U.S. distributors' partners' sites even offered the opportunity to customers to submit their e-mail address, much less complete a pre-order. He went on to say that they may not have even seen U.S. demand yet, which would be five times that of just the UK demand, based on their relative market sizes.

As usual, I guess we'll have to hurry up and wait ;)
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

Alchad

Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:13 am

Hi,

First post and a complete amateur so hope you'll be tolerant.

I've got a Pi and have also just acquired an Atrix lapdock and have been lurking on this topic picking up ideas.

I was very impressed by the project by "The Hetman" (page 4) and the very neat way he had assembled his Pi into a case. The only cable sticking out of his case was a USB connector which plugs into the Pi's double USB socket.

Looking at the underside of the Pi was wondering if there was any reason why you couldn't hard wire the USB connection to one of these locations?

Piusb by Alchad, on Flickr

Thanks for any comments

Alchad

AndrewS

Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:32 am

Alchad wrote:Looking at the underside of the Pi was wondering if there was any reason why you couldn't hard wire the USB connection to one of these locations?
No reason at all ;) http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... =29&t=8686

Alchad

Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:56 pm

Thank you.

Syliss

Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:35 pm

Alchad wrote:Thank you.

I plan on doing the same thing when the Model A comes out. But im going to take EVERYTHING off and rewire the hdmi port so that i can have something thin enough to fit in the lapdock. Will totally be worth the $25 for it. I do plan on putting a wifi card with it and have possibly a hard switch for the usb hub since a lot of people are having issues with that. Heres to waiting for the A. (Luckily i already have the B!)

AndrewS

Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:57 pm

Syliss wrote:I plan on doing the same thing when the Model A comes out. But im going to take EVERYTHING off and rewire the hdmi port so that i can have something thin enough to fit in the lapdock. Will totally be worth the $25 for it. I do plan on putting a wifi card with it and have possibly a hard switch for the usb hub since a lot of people are having issues with that. Heres to waiting for the A. (Luckily i already have the B!)
Have you actually got a lapdock and taken it apart? There's almost no space inside, I can't see how you'd fit a Pi in there. :|

Syliss

Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:39 pm

AndrewS wrote:
Syliss wrote:I plan on doing the same thing when the Model A comes out. But im going to take EVERYTHING off and rewire the hdmi port so that i can have something thin enough to fit in the lapdock. Will totally be worth the $25 for it. I do plan on putting a wifi card with it and have possibly a hard switch for the usb hub since a lot of people are having issues with that. Heres to waiting for the A. (Luckily i already have the B!)
Have you actually got a lapdock and taken it apart? There's almost no space inside, I can't see how you'd fit a Pi in there. :|
Yes i have. That is why i want to remove all ports and pins and just use wires soldered to the board directly. Ill probably remove the sd card holder too to make room. The only part that will add thickness to it is the C6 capacitor right behind the usb power jack.

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:06 pm

Syliss wrote:Ill probably remove the sd card holder too to make room. The only part that will add thickness to it is the C6 capacitor right behind the usb power jack.
Do you understand that the Pi must boot from the SD card - no exceptions? Or, are you planning on wiring in a microSD card directly (good luck with that!)?

Even if you completely gutted the lapdock of electronics (which would disable the display, keyboard, trackpad, USB hub, etc.) and removed all of the Pi connectors, it doesn't appear that there's going to be enough room for the Model A or B board to fit inside the lapdock. You're also going to need to anchor/mount it (without board mounting holes), as it's bad form to have a powered PC board rattling around inside an aluminum chassis.

That being said, everyone's been doing some pretty cool things in trying to better integrate the Pi with the lapdock. I'll be showing mine at the Raspberry Jam Silicon Valley this coming Saturday and maybe someone will come up with yet-another good idea that hasn't occurred to us.
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats

Lob0426

Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:42 am

Jim Manley wrote:That being said, everyone's been doing some pretty cool things in trying to better integrate the Pi with the lapdock. I'll be showing mine at the Raspberry Jam Silicon Valley this coming Saturday and maybe someone will come up with yet-another good idea that hasn't occurred to us.
I am about 350 miles north of you in Susanville. I would drop by, but it is a 7 hour trip one way :( . We (my brother and I) have, possibly the only 2 RasPii in our area (Susanville) with two more on the way to me in a couple of weeks. We were in the targeted age group about 35 to 38 years ago. :lol:
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

Jim Manley

Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:23 am

Lob0426 wrote:I am about 350 miles north of you in Susanville. I would drop by, but it is a 7 hour trip one way :( . We (my brother and I) have, possibly the only 2 RasPii in our area (Susanville) with two more on the way to me in a couple of weeks. We were in the targeted age group about 35 to 38 years ago. :lol:
Geez, isn't that technically Oregon, except with the onerous California sales and other taxes and without Crater Lake in the directly immediate vicinity? ;) That's where there's like three penitentiaries, right? I think I have a model railroad buddy in that area - Charlie Meinershagen, a dentist. I would like to fly my Cessna up there and visit sooner, rather than later. I'd really rather fly my Advanced Aeromarine Buccaneer II seaplane and land on Crater Lake, but, the pesky Park Service rangers get all bent out of shape when one drops below the 2,000 foot altitude above the park surface required by the FAA. I wonder if they'd notice if I did it at night? I could land dead-stick, but, getting out without going to full power in a continuous turn until I've gained enough altitude to pop up over the rim, 1,500 feet above the lake surface, would be the real trick! :o

We may try to stream video, but, we'll definitely be posting photos and videos of the shenanigans ASAP, I hope during the event, including a race between the Pi and the Babbage Difference Engine, which is capable of 30 decimal place integer additions, subtractions, multiplications, divisions, and exponentiations ... in one cycle of the chapter wheel! Even the stock Excel spreadsheet application isn't capable of 30 decimal place integer calculations without a plug-in, and the Pi would have to perform multiple passes since it can only do 32-bit integer calculations in one step (4 x 10^9 vs. 1 x 10^30 on the Babbage Difference Engine!). I really enjoy cranking the Difference Engine because I'm part of it - the power supply and the clock! ;)

The engine is currently set up to calculate base 10 logarithms using seventh-order linear polynomial approximations (f(x) = ax^7 + bx^6 + cx^5 + dx^4 + ex^3 + fx^2 + gx + h), just as Babbage intended, and it can produce plaster cast molds for poured molten lead stereotype printing plates to enable publishing math, navigation, and astronomical tables - the Pi, not so much, but, it can produce web pages with the same results! :) If 30 decimal places seems like a lot, just wait until Babbage's Analytical Engine is built in a number of years - it was designed to have scores of 50 decimal place gear stacks!

T-minus two days, 12 hours, 36 minutes, and 23 seconds!

godFather89

Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:41 am

By the way, are the PCB drawings available?
I was thinking of cutting the PCB (since I removed a lot the onboard hub + connectors) to a smaller size but I can't figure out if there are any critical traces in the areas I want to cut out. This would make the Pi fit in the place of the flipping part on the lapdock.

clickykbd

Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:52 pm

Jim Manley wrote:I really enjoy cranking the Difference Engine because I'm part of it - the power supply and the clock! ;)
I hope turning the crank on one of those is something I get to do before I die. I need to look for any museums or equally enthusiastic owners near Texas. :-)

Lob0426

Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:32 pm

@Jim Manley: yep this is prison town. Two state prisons just out of town and a federal prison about 37 miles out. You might be able to put down on Eagle lake, but there is a small airport near town. Oregon is a ways from here, Reno Nevada is only 85 miles southeast. Plenty of wind up here to help you with the dead stick Landing. Just remember that it is a lot darker up here in the mountains at night. Better wait for a full moon. And those pesky pines grow pretty tall and are hard to see at night. You might snap off the top of one, right along with a wing. Ground effect just isn't the same after that. Your landing will be a lot shorter, though a little more violent. :cry: not really much the Park service could do until after you land though. They are too liberal to carry SAM's (Surface to Air Missiles), but they will lawyer up on you. The density altitude is better at night so that is a plus!

@godFather89: there are schematics in the wiki. It is pretty much covered in traces. You might get away with cutting out the board under the GPIO. That probably will not help much. Maybe the edge along the USB and Ethernet.

Jim Manley

Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:02 pm

Lob0426 wrote:@Jim Manley: yep this is prison town. Two state prisons just out of town and a federal prison about 37 miles out. You might be able to put down on Eagle lake, but there is a small airport near town. Oregon is a ways from here, Reno Nevada is only 85 miles southeast. Plenty of wind up here to help you with the dead stick Landing. Just remember that it is a lot darker up here in the mountains at night. Better wait for a full moon. And those pesky pines grow pretty tall and are hard to see at night. You might snap off the top of one, right along with a wing. Ground effect just isn't the same after that. Your landing will be a lot shorter, though a little more violent. :cry: not really much the Park service could do until after you land though. They are too liberal to carry SAM's (Surface to Air Missiles), but they will lawyer up on you. The density altitude is better at night so that is a plus!
Ah, yeah, relative to here you might as well be in Klamath Falls ;) I bought my Cessna from a guy in Lake California, an airport community with a private runway about halfway between Red Bluff and Redding on the East side of I-5 and Mount Lassen is Right There as soon as you take off. Between Lake Almanor and Eagle and Honey Lakes, it looks like there are plenty of puddles to jump around on there. I take it that's medium-high desert climate there (like much of the U.S. farm land and forests these days, apparently :( ). Speaking of Moon landings, I flew at night from San Jose to Medford, Oregon, and a full Moon was rising - all of a sudden as I got near Lake Shasta it went pitch black and if it weren't for the headlights of vehicles on I-5, I didn't know how far I was from the Western slope of 12,000+ foot high Mt. Shasta or the 8,000 foot escarpments to the West of the lake! After about 30 seconds my eyes started to adjust and I realized that Mt. Shasta had come between the Moon, an hour or two after it had risen over the horizon, and my aircraft at around 9,000 feet, casting a giant shadow across my flight path - talk about a sigh of relief ...

We'll have to figure out how to throw a Jam up in your neighborhood sooner, rather than later - maybe we can turn all of the signs pointing to Burning Man to instead herd everyone to Susanville :D Seeing a bunch of artiste nerds descend on a law-and-order town like that would be worth way more than the price of admission!

If you need me to make a shopping trip to Fry's Electronics, Allied, Arrow, etc., before I flap my way up there, start makin' a list and checkin' it twice. If those of us here in the forum figure out how to cram a Model A board into a lapdock, we may all want to go into production - hey they said the Pi would never exist and now they're making 4,000 a DAY.
Last edited by Jim Manley on Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

itimpi

Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:06 pm

Jim Manley wrote:
Lob0426 wrote:
If those of us here in the forum figure out how to cram a Model A board into a lapdock, we may all want to go into production - hey they said the Pi would never exist and now they're making 4,000 a week.
More than that - 4000+ per DAY.

Jim Manley

Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:14 pm

itimpi wrote:More than that - 4000+ per DAY.
Sigh - I knew that - I always get the simple stuff wrong :( Errant post corrected in ALL CAPS :) I wonder what I got wrong in this post ...

Lob0426

Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:01 am

@ Jim Manley: We have burning Man and Rainbowers come through here every year. The burning man people go home pretty quick. The Rainbow drift around for a while, looking for gas money I guess. Just went by that airport earlier this month on the way to Oregon. Losing a whole mountain is not a good thing when you are moving at 110 indicated. A Raspberry Jam would be a big event here in Susanville. There are only about a half dozen people here who even know about them, and half of those work at the local Radio Shack. I have been considering writing to the editor of the local paper (Lassen County Times) and see if they would be interested in an article. Right now there is no technology section in that paper. Mostly sports and farm/ranch community stuff.
There is a local college here.
Susanville is pretty much a technological black hole. Well unless it is the newest tractor! :lol:

Lob0426

Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:39 am

I am really surprised that this thread is not more popular. The Lapdock rolls almost everything you need for the RasPi into a single package. HDMI monitor with sound, Keyboard, Mouse pad, PSU, USB powered hub and all runs on battery.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-Laptop ... 6rk%3D3%26

The above item has the cables that you need to hack to get it all working. All you need after this is a Micro HDMI female to HDMI male adapter. Like this one, I bought. veryevil and others show how simple it is to get it working.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-HDMI-sock ... ters&hash=

Well I love mine! I am at about $115 including the RasPi.

gregeric

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:15 am

For those struggling to get WiFi working, user Robpol86 has posted a fix to kill the Pi's ethernet. No need to desolder the chip now as godfather89 has done!

My EW-7811 is working in the Pi's second USB & the Lapdock ports with this fix:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 95#p126712

AndrewS

Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:08 am

godFather89 wrote:By the way, are the PCB drawings available?
I was thinking of cutting the PCB (since I removed a lot the onboard hub + connectors) to a smaller size but I can't figure out if there are any critical traces in the areas I want to cut out. This would make the Pi fit in the place of the flipping part on the lapdock.
Schematics are available on the wiki, but AFAIK the PCB drawings (gerbers) aren't available, so you have no way of knowing where's safe to cut :( (especially with the board being 6 layers!)
I think I remember one of the Foundation guys saying they didn't want to release the gerbers until after the BCM2835 chips were available in small quantities, to prevent people making boards that they'd have no SoC for.

godFather89

Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:20 am

Well, I found a PNG with some of the traces so I'll just risk it (some time later this year).

I was now thinking of building a Pi Palmtop :twisted: using a Philips Velo 1 as base. I would like to keep the screen and the keyboard (interface them with the serial port as a console via an uC + LCD controller), add some batteries and a USB HUB (on the same PCB with uC) and of course the Pi. This would make it a nice portable toy...

This weekend I'll get a defective Velo 1 for 5$ and I'll see if this is doable.

AndrewS

Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:34 pm

Looks like BenHeck might be getting a rival :twisted:

Lob0426

Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:50 pm

@godFather89: what are you going to do when the A model comes out. Of course you are the only user right now with an A model (revision A,B,C or so) through mods. We need some current photos of that poor Pi for the Raspberry Pi abusers forum. :lol: :mrgreen:

godameda

Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:01 pm

Hi everyone,

I unboxed my lapdock today, and hooked up everything.

Cut the red wire from the micro USB port on the lapdock and used one of the ports on the back for power. But the USB port is not delivering the voltage. I immediately thought that it was because the lapdock battery was depleted, so I plugged the power USB to my laptop, and the PI powers up, but the lapdock does not display any image. By now the lapdock is almost at a full charge, but I still get no power from the USB ports, nor I get picture on the lapdock if I use an external power supply to the PI.

I read the entire threat and could not find any specific setting that needed to be done to OS for the picture to display on the lapdock screen (using Debian squeeze).

As anyone encountered a similar issue?

Lob0426

Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:15 am

You need three things to get a RasPi to work with the Lapdock. There is a panel on the back left that flips up. Inside that is two connectors. One is Micro HDMI (on the right) and the other is Micro USB (on the left).

1. You have to run power and ground from the micro USB connector on the Lapdock (left) to the RasPi.

2. You have to run two Data lines (data+ and Data-) from the Lapdock connector to one of the USB ports on the RasPi on the left to use the keyboard, mouse etc. Most of us build a "Y" cable to do this. It has three legs. First leg: A micro USB female end to connect to the Lapdock connector. Second leg: A micro USB male to connect to the RasPi power in. Third leg: A USB "A" male end that has only the Data lines to connect to one of the RasPI USB ports.

3. You have to have an adapter from the Micro HDMI on the right to a full size HDMI to plug into the RasPi.

There HAS to be a signal from the HDMI to use the two ports from the internal hub on the back of the Lapdock.
Edit: you also have to lift the Lapdock top up some or the Lapdock USB ports are dead.

Sorry if this sounds too over simplified but that is the Basics that are needed to get the Lapdock hardware working.

Return to “General discussion”