Krella Krentoshi

Re: I made a Raspberry PI Laptop

Tue May 26, 2015 3:54 pm

I didn't realize there were so many options within options, lol! Thank you. Now, about sound. I know my lapdock's speakers work. I know my pi's HDMI sound works. I have no idea what's going on that the 2 won't talk to each other enough to pass sound. But I was curious to know if I could plug an external speaker up to the headphone jack and get sound that way. It worked! :-D so that is an option at least, however inelegant it may be.

I wonder if the mini HDMI wiring has anything to do with the lack of sound? Maybe it lacks a connection the full size HDMI connector has?

Lob0426

Tue May 26, 2015 5:48 pm

No, the sound will work.
The setting to get sound is in /boot/config.txt.

Code: Select all

sudo nano /boot/config.txt
You just have to remove the hash from in front. That usually gets the sound working on the Lapdock. Just read the remarks in the file until you find it.

hdmi_drive=2
A couple more settings there are;

framebuffer_width=1366
framebuffer_height=768
These are also in the file. You just need to change the numbers, then remove the # sign from in front. 1366x768 is the screen size of the Lapdock screen.

This is the primary file for many things. A good thing to read through to find out what you have set. Some of these things can be set by raspi-config. I believe the hdmi_drive= 2 can be set there too. I believe it is under advanced settings.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

Krella Krentoshi

Tue May 26, 2015 6:31 pm

Neat stuff. I did that, still no sound. :oops: I also updated the framebuffers and rebooted. I am typing this from the PiTop now, and I'm loving it!! so much easier to type on than my 15 inch monstrosity of a laptop. :lol:

Lob0426

Wed May 27, 2015 2:39 am

Try playing a .wav file. There are no default sounds set in Raspbian X.

Krella Krentoshi

Wed May 27, 2015 2:47 am

Very true. I have lx music downloaded, it has a song included with it.

I tried the modification on my RetroPie card, now I'm happily playing Mario Bros........ With sound!! Yippee!! I forgot about my speakers needing to POP before they will work. I will keep working on my Raspbian card.

Mr0010110Fixit

Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:06 pm

So I just read like 25 pages of this thread and wanted to say thankyou! I ordered all of my parts and will be putting it together on in a few days! Can't wait to join the PiLapdock group! :D

ddurdle

Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:59 pm

Just incase anyone is wondering, for the B+/B2 issue of not backpowering, you can connect the microusb port to one of the usb ports on the lapdock. I've been using this lapdock for years on a A and B setup. When I tried it on a B2 last week, I quickly realized backpowering was not supported at boot time. Simply added a USB wire between the microusb on the B2 to the spare USB port on the lapdock and I was back in action.

One thing I also noticed, closing the lid was enough to keep the Pi off. I didn't have to disconnect the USB host cable, and the lapdock didn't try to power the Pi when the lid was closed. In the A and B setup, I normally disconnect the USB cable prior to closing the lid (as the act of closing the lid will simply power off and then power back on the Pi).

Other than that, I had no other issues with the B2. The screen and sound worked without any changes to the setup. Can't say the same about the TVs I tried.

QBall1977

Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:10 am

Dear All,

Again what a great project. Anyone got any advice for getting the sound running on the latest Raspian Release (Jessie). I thought I had it worked out, but no joy. Any suggestions?

:?:

cjan

Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:55 pm

QBall1977 wrote:Dear All,

Again what a great project. Anyone got any advice for getting the sound running on the latest Raspian Release (Jessie). I thought I had it worked out, but no joy. Any suggestions?

:?:
got my Rpi2+lapdock+jessie setup today, in config.txt 'hdmi_drive=2' and switch systems track speaker icon enable to hdmi.
screen, speaker, wifi, keyboard layout, touchpad, mouse...everything went well, but have 'keyboard press' delay respond' issue, anyone help?

Steve Drain

Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:16 pm

A year ago I posted about my Pip4 using the A+ with a Lapdock:
I thought this would be the last word in minimilism - but then along came the Zero:
More details at:
http://kappa.me.uk/raspberry_pip0.htm

Lob0426

Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:09 am

Steve Drain:
It would be nice if you would include links to your other PIP projects.
PIP2:
http://kappa.me.uk/raspberry_pip2.htm
PIP3:
http://kappa.me.uk/raspberry_pip3.htm
PIP4:
http://kappa.me.uk/raspberry_pip4.htm

PIP4 needs a Pi2B version dang it! :lol: The killer is the HDMI setup for me. Very small wires!

Nice project!

Steve Drain

Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:08 pm

Lob0426 wrote:It would be nice if you would include links to your other PIP projects.
I wanted to keep the post small. Thanks for posting the links anyway. :-)
PIP4 needs a Pi2B version dang it! :lol: The killer is the HDMI setup for me. Very small wires
The PIP3 might be adaptable to the Pi2B, but that is not for me. Using the insides of adaptors makes routing the HDMI reasonably easy. Wiring up the PIP2 really was a pain. :-)

I have tidied up the PIPZero:

That is a business card case.

Lob0426

Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:35 am

Your site does not have the links either. Might be better to put them there so people can see your earlier projects for reference! And no PIP1? LOL

I have a 3D printer so I may be able to make a box easier to fit components into. But tackling the HDMI does not look like any fun. The rest is not too bad. I put 1/10th inch pins, on a couple earlier boards, for the USB after removing the USB connectors.

But again a nice project. Makes the Lapdock look very clean, unlike mine!

Edit I found it under PIP! LOL
PIP:
http://www.kappasite.pwp.blueyonder.co. ... ry_pip.htm

TheEditor

Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:26 pm

This Christmas I bought a gift for myself, a Lapdock for use with a Raspberry Pi a friend gave to me back in the fall. I also purchased, what I thought, were all the correct cables for the connection between the two devices. I have tried all the cables and even made the "Y" cable outlined in this thread and the system will come up and display for a short time then shutdown. I am kind of bummed as I really wanted to get this working and have read tons of information on the process but it appears I may be missing something. Below is an outline, with images, of what I purchased, what I have connected and the result.

Items purchased:

Motorola Lapdock 100 (outer shell is dark grey, LCD bezel is black, keyboard bezel is silver, phone connects with a cable and not to a flip out like the later models)
-- this unit has been tested with a known working Motorola Droid Razr HD XT926, see screen shots
-- I have read online and seen posts and picture of this model using a Raspberry Pi

Cable 1 - CY HD-089 Male D Type Micro HDMI to Female Micro HDMI Cable for Motorola Cell Phones - Black (60cm)
-- from dxsoul.com

Cable 2 - Micro USB Male to Female Extension Data Cable - Black (20cm)
-- from dxsoul.com

Adapter 1 - Importer520 New Gold Plated Micro HDMI Female to HDMI Male Converter Adapter
-- from Amazon via EPICDEALZ

Raspberry Pi B+ v1.2
-- from element14

In my initial test I connected the HDMI from the Lapdock to the Raspberry Pi using a female micro HMDI to male Micro HDMI cable (Cable 1) connecting to the female Micro HDMI to male HDMI adapter (Adapter 1). Then using (Cable 2) I connected from the Micro USB on the Lapdock to the Micro USB power port on the Raspberry Pi. When I hit the power button I got nothing. <sigh>

Back to the internet for more reading and learned that the connections should be done with the Lapdock closed so I tried this using the came cabling procedure as above. When I hit the power button I got nothing. <sigh>

Back to the internet and more reading to learn there is a recycle time needed between attempts so I disconnect everything and waited 15 minutes. Reconnected as stated above with lid closed, opened the lid, pushed the power button. Big rainbow square comes up on the screen...then black screen with tiny rainbox square in top right corner. <HOLY CRAP it is working> Then the NOOBS screen appears for about 3 seconds and then goes blank to nothing. <sigh> Hitting power does nothing. Back to the wait for the recycle time.

While waiting for the recycle time I read some more and found the time between power up and the screen going black appears to be 9 seconds which appears to be right in my case. I also read that some Raspberry Pi's, pre 2, need to have power and USB connected to the Lapdock for it to be recognized.

Next step I cut male Micro USB connector from (Cable 2) and but a USB extension in half. Using the diagram in this thread I made a "Y" cable with vDC and GND going to the Micro USB male for the Raspberry Pi power connection and D+, D- and GND to the USB male for the data connection.

I assembled, temporarily, this new "Y" cable and using a meter tested the connections were correct. Once tested I made all the correct connections between the Raspberry Pi and the Lapdock. Opened the lid, pushed the power button. Big rainbow square comes up on the screen...then black screen with tiny rainbow square in top right corner. <HOLY CRAP it is working> Guess what happened next. Can you guess? The NOOBS screen appears for about 3 seconds and then goes blank to nothing. <sigh>

After doing a video capture of the boot process it appears there are a few things I was not seeing before. First after the initial full screen rainbow page:

There is a notation of two errors on the Hub Port, which I assume is the USB:

After these error screen I go get a Raspberry Pi screen:

Then I get a menu for installation of an OS, so it appears (which I didn't know before now) that is is possible there is no true OS installed just a 'factory fresh' bootable card to setup the Pi as if it were new:

Then the screen goes to black and that is the end of the process. (sreenshot going to black)

All told it takes about 9 seconds.

So the question is, if I hook the Raspberry Pi up to a TV/Monitor, keyboard and mouse and go thru the installation will I get a different result when attempting to boot with the Lapdock?

So that is where I am now. About 65 bucks or so spent on the entire project and it still doesn't work. I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction to get this working and working reliably. Thanks for any help and guidance anyone can provide.

Lob0426

Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:14 am

Lob0426 wrote:No, the sound will work.
The setting to get sound is in /boot/config.txt.

sudo nano /boot/config.txt
You just have to remove the hash from in front. That usually gets the sound working on the Lapdock. Just read the remarks in the file until you find it.

hdmi_drive=2
A couple more settings there are;

framebuffer_width=1366
framebuffer_height=768
These are also in the file. You just need to change the numbers, then remove the # sign from in front. 1366x768 is the screen size of the Lapdock screen.

This is the primary file for many things. A good thing to read through to find out what you have set. Some of these things can be set by raspi-config. I believe the hdmi_drive= 2 can be set there too. I believe it is under advanced settings.
Did you try these settings in Config.sys?

galicin

Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:37 pm

Maybe it's not easy, but if we unsolder power micro usb from Pi Zero and on it's place we glue micro hdmi female port and connect it with individual small wires to the original mini hdmi on the PCB - do you think that this will fit and work with Lapdock?
Last edited by galicin on Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

procount

Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:23 pm

@TheEditor - I have 2 of these Lapdock 100 models for my boys that they use with Model B's but I have also used them with B+ and 2B. I also have the 11 inch model (which is better in my opinion if you can get hold of one).
In order for the Lapdock to work you must have the USB and HDMI cable connected to the PI.
The most likely reason for the lapdock turning off the screen is because it has not detected the HDMI screen within its timeout period. This could be because you do not have the correct HDMI cable. There are different types. I think the lapdock detects the CEC(?) line being grounded to indicate a screen is attached. Not all HDMI cables have this wire connected. I get the same behaviour if my "micro HDMI -female to male cable" does not make a good connection with my "micro female to standard male HDMI adaptor" So I often have to hold them together whilst it boots. I know if the HDMI screen is detected because about the 9 seconds mark (?) the screen backlight goes brighter - then I know I can let go from holding the connectors together. So try a different hdmi cable/adaptor combination.

You are also using NOOBS. This does not work well with the lapdock 100.
NOOBS is an operating system installer and boot O.S. selection tool. You may be able to install Raspbian onto the SD card OK with it, but when it reboots, you will find the lapdock screen goes black again.
This is because NOOBS reboots the Pi when it starts to select the OS to run. When the Pi reboots, it momentarily disconnects the USB from the Lapdock which signals it to shutdown again. There are ways around this (like adding an autoboot.txt file to the SD card), but it might be easier to download the Raspbian image and write it to your SD card using win32diskimager. There are plenty of instructions/tutorials on how to do this on this forum and on the Raspberry pi learning resources etc. It might be best to get this working first with a standard keyboard and HDMI screen so that you know it works. Then move onto the lapdock.

Regarding your hub errors - I have never seen those before. My only suggestion is to check the green/white D+/D- USB wire connections, as you have spliced 2 cables together. Sometimes the colours are not consistent between cables. You could try swapping them over (green-white, white-green) to see if that works. They are a differential pair so it won't harm, and if it doesn't work, just swap them back again.

One other tip - for the lapdock restart cycle, once you disconnect the USB power to the pi, watch for the white power LED on the lapdock to flash briefly (maybe white or red - I forget) after 20-30 seconds (you need to have the lapdock power supply disconnected otherwise it will not turn off at all). This indicates the lapdock has turned off and you can start the Pi up again. (This saves waiting 15 mins as in your report).

Hope this helps. Persevere with it because once you get used to the lapdock's idiosynchracies and get it working, it's a really neat solution.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

TheEditor

Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:56 pm

@procount - Can I ask what specific cable you ordered for the HDMI connection to work between the Pi and the Lapdock 100 and from where you ordered it?

procount

Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:53 pm

@TheEditor - I bought all of my stuff off ebay, but mostly it was so long ago the items no longer exist, but
I used micro extension cables then used an adaptor to convert to fullsize connectors.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291366190429
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151111430744
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200941902700
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261422289262

However, my most recent purchase was this micro female HDMI to standard male HDMI cable: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191759191856
It was relatively expensive at £7.99 but I wanted to reduce the number of connections and improve the quality. It works fine with my Droid Bionic 11.6" lapdock but I haven't tried it with the Atrix 100.

I also bought a Y splitter cable for use with my Pi 2B: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271717284996. Both of these work really well with my PiZero and Droid Bionic (with the PiZero HDMI adaptor)

Here is a quote that I'd saved from a previous post or webpage, but unfortunately I have lost the reference:
"I just got my Lapdock working! I used the same cables and adapters as Drew's first list, except for a short USB A male to A male adapter as in Update #2. I also used a different HDMI micro male to HDMI full-size male from Drew's. They're all the same, right?
Well, it didn't work at first. I didn't want to send the Lapdock back, since I didn't know if the problem was the Lapdock or one of the HDMI cables or adapters. I was easily able to test the USB cables and adapters -- they were fine.
So I opened up the Lapdock and figured out how it detects that an HDMI source is connected. It turns out that it uses the DDC/CEC/Ground line and sees if it's shorted to another ground.
Here's the problem: not all HDMI cables are the same. A lot of cheap HDMI cables do not implement the individual ground signals. Instead, they just have a common foil shield that's connected to the connector shells at both ends. This works in most HMDI applications, but if your application requires individual ground lines -- like Lapdock -- it won't work.
My solution? Well, rather than wait for and try another cable I added a tiny solder bridge to a tiny connector in the Lapdock so now it thinks there's always an HDMI cable attached. Now Lapdock works great with RasPi. I added a switch to USB +5V to prevent power from getting to RasPi when Lapdock is closed.
I'm going to write up my findings in another 'blog post, probably tomorrow. I'd hate for all the work I did analyzing the Lapdock connector to go waste by not sharing it."
If you manage to install Raspbian with NOOBS, I mentioned earlier that you wouldn't be able to boot into Raspbian because of the double reboot.
A workaround is as follows:
1. Add a text file named autoboot.txt to the root directory of NOOBS.
2. Add boot_partition=<partition number> to the file and save it to disk.

If you are using NOOBS 1.4.2 or earlier, set boot_partition=5
If you are using NOOBS 1.5 or later, set boot_partition=6

This will force the Pi to boot directly into Raspbian rather than booting into NOOBS first, thus avoiding the double boot. But NOOBS will be skipped entirely. To boot into NOOBS in the future, just remove the autoboot.txt file.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

sickofthesea

Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:54 am

Yay. Just set up my Pi Zero with my Atrix Lapdock.

I ordered an hdmi adapter from Amazon and also a micro usb Y splitter cable. The hdmi adapter arrived from the UK but it looks like the usb splitter is coming from China and will take a while. So in the meantime I decided to try it out with power from the mains, with just a single usb cable for the data. Before I managed to plug the mains power cable in I was pleasantly surprised to see the Pi Zero powering up with power & data through the data plug only!

I had to shave a little off the left side of the hdmi adapter and the bottom left corner of the pi board pushes slightly against the usb cable, but not enough to cause damage I think.

So all up and running and chuffed to bits. No problems at all with sound working and wifi through a dongle connected to one of the lapdocks' usb ports.

hdmi adapter - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00L ... ge_o01_s00
y-splitter - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00N ... ge_o00_s00

Photo 1 - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/394 ... G_0286.JPG
Photo 2 - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/394 ... G_0290.JPG
Photo 3 - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/394 ... G_0288.JPG

Lob0426

Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:34 pm

I guess I have been lucky. I have not had a problem with the HDMI cables. I bought a really cheap adapter and it worked fine. The only problem I have had is sound. Usually fixed by hdmi_drive=2.

I did not run into problems with NOOBS. I did all the setup on another RasPi and then imaged it to the Pi2B card on the lapdock. I did not set it up directly on the lapdock. Then set the video sizes.

There were hub issues between the LAN9512 and the lapdock hub (Ethernet not playing well with WiFi) in an earlier Raspbian. I have seen no issues since then. I would say it is a wiring issue too. I have had to reverse the white and green before on other projects.

So far my RasPi has always hung back there naked. Steve Drain's PIP's have me looking at casing it up. Looking for components now. I want to make it where the case will lie flat against the screen back when the Lapdock is closed. I will have to change the connector exits, 90deg, for this to work. I have a couple of 3D printers to make the case with.

I will stick to a Pi2B for performance.

I need to include the supercap for the lid closing. I use a switch in my current harness to turn the RasPi on and off. I would like to also have a reset.

johnkramme

Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:40 pm

sickofthesea wrote:Yay. Just set up my Pi Zero with my Atrix Lapdock.
hi

your setup looks nice and seems easy to do.

i also have a dream of building a little zero into the socket/dock where the connections are ( it's not that hard to take it apart ). unfortunately i only got bigbrother rpi2b which not fit in.

this morning i've got two lapdocks delivered from germany to my door and now i'm just waiting for china to wake up so i can get my cables. i was curious, so i had to take one of the lapdocks apart ....it was nice to see how it looked inside 8-)

TheEditor

Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:22 pm

So I originally purchased this adapter.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B5T ... ge_o01_s00

It did not work as it appears to not have the CEC connection.

I have now ordered this wire. According to the comments it should work, we will see.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KMR ... ge_o00_s00

Delivery is scheduled between Feb 1 and Feb 17.

johnbeetem

Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:41 am

procount wrote: Here is a quote that I'd saved from a previous post or webpage, but unfortunately I have lost the reference:
"I just got my Lapdock working! I used the same cables and adapters as Drew's first list...
I recognize that quote! :) There's an Atrix Lapdock summary at the elinux.org RasPi Wiki: http://elinux.org/RPi_Screens#Motorola_Atrix_Lapdock. It has links to some element14.com 'blogs. The first 'blog has the comment you quoted: Raspberry Pi laptop. The second 'blog describes the missing ground line problem in glorious detail: Raspberry Pi Lapdock HDMI cable work-around.

All of these are specific to the Atrix Lapdock. The 100 and 500 aren't as simple as one can see upstream.

Lob0426

Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:48 am

I put a case on my RasPi/Lapdock 4G;
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:604915
I printed it out in Ruby Red filament. I had been using this as an Octopi server for my 3D Printer. I am using a Tablet (modified to be a print center(see on my web site)) to run the printer now. I had to use some side cutters and modify the case to allow the cables to line up properly. Still looking for the post about turning the Lapdock connectors 90°. This would allow me to put them out the top of the flip up connector. Then I can design a case to screw to the flip up. Then the RasPi will lie flat against the Lapdock top when closed up. I know it has been done by someone else, but I cannot find it, yet!

Currently I have a PI2B with a 16GB SanDisk SD, I am using the original cable I made for the Lapdock. The cable has a switch to turn off power to the RasPi. I use a WiPi Wireless network Adaptor and only needed to add my password to get it to work. The WiPi is plugged into the RasPi. Mine is set to 1000 MHz in raspi-config. It is Using Raspbian Jessie.

I dug out one my REV 2 boards and tried it with the Lapdock. The performance difference is huge. The latest Raspbian is very improved over that earlier versions. Especially the Epiphany web browser. The extra cores and the extra memory in the PI2B is icing on the cake. I have never advocated using a RasPi as a desktop replacement, and still don't, LOL, But it very well could be used to handle daily chores when you do not wish to fire up your main system. The boot up time is in the same area as my Surface Pro 3 Tablet. At about 20 seconds (surface is 28 sec Win10). Libre Office works smoothly. Battery time has improved since the power changes in the B+/A+/PI2B. I see 4 to 5 hours of use while on WiFi.

It is unfortunate that the Lapdocks are no longer being produced. The prices for one run at or over $100 (Lapdock 4G) now. The Lapdock 100 is a bit cheaper. And they are getting harder and harder to find!

And this one has us all beat!
http://www.h-i-r.net/2015/12/raspberry- ... k-100.html

Almost tempted to by a Lapdock 100 and embed a zero, if I could get a zero that is!

So those of you that have been ignoring your Lapdocks, dig them out again. Get a PI2B on them, or a B+ or A+ or Pi Zero. :lol:

Return to “General discussion”