itimpi

Re: I made a Raspberry PI Laptop

Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:08 pm

Jim Manley wrote:
itimpi wrote:Geez, how much did all of those adapter cables cost? You might hold a record (well, except for the $30 pair of cables offered by one vendor)! The fit of the micro-USB and micro-HDMI female adapter sockets looks like it didn't require any trimming of the adapter plastic sheathing, so, that's a distinct advantage. I like my very short female micro-HDMI to male standard HDMI adapter (which did require trimming) as it allows the board to sit down in the flip-up cradle, as well as being able to attach a female standard HDMI to male standard HDMI extender cable to the board where it may not be possible to place the board in the cradle (e.g., in a case that's not compatible with the cradle, or where the board can't be easily moved).
I bought all the bits via eBay and was happy to await delivery from China/Hong Kong, so it was not that much - about £12 in total. It was a lot more expensive if one was impatient and went for UK suppliers - in that case the estimate of around £30 might be reasonably accurate. As you said no trimming of adapters required - but that was more by luck than forward planning :)

Syliss

Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:58 pm

So i finally got the Blackberry Y Cable. So one end is Power Only, and the other is power and data. So it works just fine on the pi. Now to start making a simple case for the pi and lapdock.

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:26 am

Syliss wrote:So i finally got the Blackberry Y Cable. So one end is Power Only, and the other is power and data. So it works just fine on the pi. Now to start making a simple case for the pi and lapdock.
Just to make sure that my dense "leetle gray cells" (as Hercule Poirot would say) are comprehending properly, you're saying that one male micro-USB plug outputs just power and the other micro-USB plug outputs both power and data? If so, that's magnifique, Monsieur, as Hercule would say! Are the plugs marked as to which is which, or do you have to play cable roulette whenever things are unplugged and separated? I hope the Y cable I ordered is at least wired like yours, if not power and data to both plugs.

In any case, a(nother?) solderless option is confirmed to be at hand! :)
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

Lob0426

Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:40 am

Jim Manley wrote:
Syliss wrote:So i finally got the Blackberry Y Cable. So one end is Power Only, and the other is power and data. So it works just fine on the pi. Now to start making a simple case for the pi and lapdock.
Just to make sure that my dense "leetle gray cells" (as Hercule Poirot would say) are comprehending properly, you're saying that one male micro-USB plug outputs just power and the other micro-USB plug outputs both power and data? If so, that's magnifique, Monsieur, as Hercule would say! Are the plugs marked as to which is which, or do you have to play cable roulette whenever things are unplugged and separated? I hope the Y cable I ordered is at least wired like yours, if not power and data to both plugs.

In any case, a(nother?) solderless option is confirmed to be at hand! :)
@Jim Manley: One has a lightning bolt and the other a USB symbol. It also has a Blackberry symbol too. I may have to order a couple of those at $3 apiece. An "A" male end and I have a neater, cleaner cord than I do now.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

spchong

Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:47 pm

Can glue a monitor to a keyboard with touchpad and achieve the same effect :mrgreen: but can't fold this... :D

kyelo

Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:16 pm

@Lob0426, @Jim Manley.

Thanks for the info, discussion and links.

I think I have everything on order now...just have to wait awhile now.

mindwave

Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:47 am

i havent followed all the links yet but this looks amazing

for the us folks i did find this:

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Entertai ... lapdock%22

which doesnt appear to be exactly the same, but looks interesting nonethe less

then there is :

http://www.amazon.com/AT-Laptop-Dock-Mo ... lapdock%22

which appears to be what everyone else is working with

my $ is real tight at the moment so i may be an observer. but i still think the pi is one of the best things developed in this decade

thanks!

Syliss

Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:39 pm

mindwave wrote:i havent followed all the links yet but this looks amazing

That will be useless unless you get a micro hdmi to hdmi adapter, which would make it even more expensive. For what you get there, you can get a keyboard, mouse, sd card, flash drive, and possibly a powered usb hub.

The only reason why i got the lapdock and adapters was because i had a bunch of amazon gift cards and an ebay gift card. Without those i would still be using either my tv or old lcd monitor. Its nice to have it all in one now. Just have to find a connector and i can use an old usb wireless B card i have. Best to use what you can without spending a lot.

clickykbd

Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:38 am

Syliss wrote:
mindwave wrote:i havent followed all the links yet but this looks amazing

Interesting. I wasn't even aware of this product yet. It's basically the desktop equivalent of the lapdock setup. Plus a remote, and without a monitor.

If the Pi had jacks that natively worked with the Atrix receptical it would perhaps be more useful, as it is basically a complete accessory kit and then some. But the need to adapt before the dock kinda defeats the purpose when the Pi can natively interface with monitors and keyboards already.

The price is certainly making it appealing to some who want to experiment. If the Remote somehow interfaces with the dock and not the Atrix directly, that could be fun. Or maybe it's just bluetooth native?

Also makes me wonder if a fun project would be to gut a dead Atrix and try to use it's chassis + ports as our physical adapter, just attach the Pi to the reminants and wire it up similar to methods we've learned, then you could throw it in either device relatively easily.

Although for the money I think I'd rather just have 2 more RasPi to play with. ;-) The Lapdock should keep me entertained for a while (still waiting on my express from china Y-adapter though).

clickykbd

Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:44 am

Minor update. They apparently sell a version of the HD Dock without the keyboard and mouse, but still with the remote, 28$ on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Multimed ... =de_a_smtd

Now that is a bit more appealing for hacking.

PS - I'm thinking that bluetooth HID is required for all the wireless accessories, remote, keyboard, mouse. The Pi is not natively ready to do this. Finding a working bluetooth USB adapter and much experimentation would likely be needed.

AndrewS

Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:05 pm

AndrewS wrote:godameda: sounds like you might have a chicken-and-egg situation?
The USB ports on the back of the lapdock aren't powered on, because the HDMI isn't active, and so the Pi won't power-up.
And because the Pi isn't powered-up, the HDMI won't become active, and the back-USB ports won't power on... :?
Sorry, this was wrong information :oops:
When I plug my RPi (via a shaved-down micro-HDMI female -> regular HDMI male adaptor) into the Lapdock's micro-HDMI connector, the white LED (and screen) turn on before plugging in power to the RPi.
But when using the same micro-HDMI female -> regular HDMI male adaptor connected to a HDMI female -> female adaptor connected to a regular HDMI male -> male cable (phew!) the white LED and screen don't turn on, even after powering up the RPi, and even with hdmi_force_hotplug=1 and config_hdmi_boost=4 set in config.txt
And the same adaptor->adaptor->cable combination doesn't turn on the lapdock screen when plugged into my laptop either - one of the cables or adaptors obviously isn't passing one of the signals through correctly... :?
Although the same female->female adaptor and two HDMI male->male cables do work when connecting my laptop to my HDTV!

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:34 pm

AndrewS wrote:Although the same female->female adaptor and two HDMI male->male cables do work when connecting my laptop to my HDTV!
I wonder if the laptop HDMI output port connection is a special case. When I plug anything into the HDMI port on my laptop, after a few seconds, the laptop display blanks and then the video is switched on to both the laptop and external video display (HDTV or lapdock) as the laptop automagically turns on video mirroring after the HDMI connector is plugged into it.
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats

AndrewS

Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:59 pm

clickykbd wrote:... Finding a working bluetooth USB adapter ...
http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeriphera ... h_adapters ?

AndrewS

Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:10 pm

Jim Manley wrote:I wonder if the laptop HDMI output port connection is a special case.
Just for you Jim ;) I just tried plugging my lapdock into my PS3 (my only other HDMI device) using the adaptor->adaptor->cable setup, and that also fails to 'activate' the lapdock :| So I still blame one of the connections not conducting the appropriate signal properly (or maybe so many separate connections interfere with the resistance too much *shrug*).

Vindicator

Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:00 pm

My lapdock setup is fully functional and when I plug in the HDMI cable (with the appropriate adapter installed) the white light on the touch pad is activated and the USB is then powered, if the HDMI cable is not plugged in then the white light will not activate until the HDMI cord is plugged in, and hence the usb is not active till the HDMI is plugged in.

I have installed a power switch in the micro usb side of my usb cord so that I can turn off the Raspi but the white light stays on even when this switch is turned off and the the lapdock lid is closed as long as the HDMI cord is plugged in.

edited the red light on raspi comes back on after awhile so the switch is really needed if the Raspi is left attached.
If you are more worried about ,spelling, punctuation or grammar you have probably already missed the point so please just move on.

Bumsfallera

Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:20 am

Very interesting post here!

Anyone got an idea how to mount the raspberry pi to the lapdock in a practical and neat way? :P

I just thought about a case for the raspberry pi that is formed like a wedge.
It should be possible to mount (glue?) it under the Lapdock, giving it a slight tilt?

Robpol86

Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:33 am

I "mount" it by the HDMI port on the Pi using an adapter.

Jim Manley

Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:53 pm

Bumsfallera wrote:I just thought about a case for the raspberry pi that is formed like a wedge. It should be possible to mount (glue?) it under the Lapdock, giving it a slight tilt?
As I posted earlier, I'm building a case the size of the lapdock footprint, but, only deep enough to hold the Pi, a powered USB hub, a laptop USB hard drive, a USB WiFi transceiver, cable stubs routing all of the connections to the back edge of the case, etc. The wedge shape would look nicer and less obtrusive than just a shallow rectangular shape and I may try that - thanks for the idea! I'm trying to build the case up from pieces that interlock along the edges to improve strength and minimize the need for fasteners (prototype computers don't stay buttoned up for very long on my workbench).

Lob0426

Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:13 pm

Mine is mounted like @Robpol86 is. The exceptions is that I have an A male to A female cable that extends up to a Linksys wireless G adapter that is velcroed high on the back of the screen. There also is a USB HDD that is velcroed low on the back. I just switched it to a 640GB FreeAgent GoFlex drive I had laying around. The 320GB drive was in a silicone protector and the velcro would not stick to it. I really do not need 640GB though. There are only two partitions on the drive. One at 22GB for the rootfs and a 512MB swap partition. A little bit of electrical tape for cable management. Looks pretty clean. looking at cases for the RasPi. I would like to put a plastic board onto the back of the flip-up connector with small screws. Then mount the case to that so it can be folded flat against the closed Lapdock. I will have to reroute the connectors or hardwire them to make this work. Definitely a work in progress!
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

Robpol86

Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:17 pm

@Lob0426 be sure to post pictures once you get that setup, sounds pretty interesting.

Rayjingstorm

Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:51 am

First I want to thank everyone in this thread for helping me build my PiTop.
If I'm not mistaken no-one has proposed a solution to the power-reset upon closing the laptop display which doesn't require additional power supplies. If anyone is interested, there are three magnets under a metal cover under the bezel which surrounds the display on the lapdock: one on each side which help hold the display shut ( there are matching magnets in the base ) and one on the right side of the center which is matched by a Hall Effect sensor ( it has been asked a few times what exactly senses the display closing ) which is located on a board under the trackpad of the lapdock.
This leaves you with two (obvious) choices to ameliorate the problem: pry off the bezel and unscrew the metal cover to remove the magnet, or pry open the base to short the proper terminals to prevent sensing of the magnet altogether.
Both methods work flawlessly, each with their drawbacks; that is, neither is the easiest thing in the world to do. Removing the magnet left a few subtle stress marks on the plastic cover of the display, and there are 6 or so screws to be removed and replaced, while keeping the other two magnets in place.
The other method requires you remove four screws from the bottom of the base ( two in the center, two covered by rubber stops closest to the trackpad ) before unsnapping the top and bottom halves of the base, and removing a metal cover holding a long thin board. On the right-most side of the board a small, square Hall Effect sensor with 3 terminals is soldered on. Shorting the positive and output terminals (the two terminals which are on the same side) should give the desired effect, although we unsoldered the whole sensor as well. Be sure all ribbon cables are still connected before closing everything up ( or you may be opening it back up rather soon to regain use of your keyboard and mouse )

I hope someone finds this information useful, and I'm sorry that I have not pictures to post :D

gregeric

Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:12 am

I've addressed the lid-close power-dip / reset issue by taking 5V for the Pi from the Lapdock's internal USB supply rail. There's a (relatively) large capacitor between the two USB ports which is easy enough to solder a wire onto.

Behaviour is then:
Lid closed -> power off, battery saving.
Lid open -> power on.

Jim Manley

Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:42 am

Rayjingstorm wrote:This leaves you with two (obvious) choices to ameliorate the problem: pry off the bezel and unscrew the metal cover to remove the magnet, or pry open the base to short the proper terminals to prevent sensing of the magnet altogether.

I hope someone finds this information useful :D
Very useful info - thanks! Shorting the sensor seems more easily reversible than removing it, unless removing the magnet can be done without stressing the case material. Then I'd lose the magnet, making it difficult to reverse that! :lol:

Rayjingstorm

Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:43 pm

Jim Manley wrote:
Rayjingstorm wrote:This leaves you with two (obvious) choices to ameliorate the problem: pry off the bezel and unscrew the metal cover to remove the magnet, or pry open the base to short the proper terminals to prevent sensing of the magnet altogether.

I hope someone finds this information useful :D
Very useful info - thanks! Shorting the sensor seems more easily reversible than removing it, unless removing the magnet can be done without stressing the case material. Then I'd lose the magnet, making it difficult to reverse that! :lol:
No problem, hope it helps. We removed the sensor thinking that would solve the problem, but it turned out our guess was wrong so we had to short the two contacts :lol:

Robpol86

Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:40 am

If someone with some electronics hacking knowledge could help me get the Lapdock 500 to work with any HDMI input, I think this would be the best Raspberry Pi Laptop:

Right now, if you have a 5 wire USB cable the lapdock 500 powers on for a couple of seconds and then powers off. I'm hoping there's something I can short on the Lapdock's controller board to get past Motorola's "DRM", but I don't really know anything about electronics (I'm more of a software guy).

I've already wasted hours of my time trying to trick it into working with a few adapters but no luck :(

Return to “General discussion”