Nick S

Re: I made a Raspberry PI Laptop

Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:36 pm

My Raspberry Pi finally arrived last night, here's a picture of the initial boot.

Everything with the lapdock seems to be working fine. I have not tried out the usb wireless device yet, although the Raspi did recognize usb hard drives that were connected through the lapdock usb ports just fine.

I'm still waiting on a less beefy HDMI cable to finalize everything, but it was good to confirm that my hacking of the lapdock usb connector was successful.

I still need to do a lot of the customization stuff, "Americanizing" the pi, fixing the overscan settings, memory split, etc. I also tried out the OpenELEC XBMC distro which worked great.

godFather89

Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:11 am

Anyone using Weezy with the lapdock? Sometimes the keyboard gives "missfires" (a key is missed or remains pressed). Do I need an updated kernel?
Note that I can't use rpi-update script because of the ISP where I live (internet is behind a proxy and port of git is blocked) so I am stucked with the kernel from the beta image.

AndrewS

Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:41 pm

godFather89 wrote:Note that I can't use rpi-update script because of the ISP where I live (internet is behind a proxy and port of git is blocked) so I am stucked with the kernel from the beta image.
Take a look at www.google.com/search?q=github+proxy and if it still doesn't work you might need to edit rpi-update to use the http:// protocol instead of the git:// protocol.

godFather89

Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:06 pm

Nope, already tried setting the git proxy but the port is blocked (9000 something).
I'll try to edit the script to use http:// instead of git://.

selectnone

Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:38 pm

Btw, I've found that my webcam doesn't work when the lapdock is plugged in, even when the camera is on a powered hub - much like my wifi dongle, except that I have a plug-in-order workaround for that.

I'm having to use a second keyboard when testing devices, non-optimal :)

Is anyone else experiencing issues like that, or is it just me?

Those devices show up when I run lsusb, but can't be used until the Lapdock's usb-plug has been removed, even when they have their own powersource.

Does anyone have any ideas why this might be?

clickykbd

Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:41 pm

On this subject of "laptop form factor integration", it might be more easier to try to build a "stand" with the Raspi integrated there. Something akin to a laptop-cooler plate, full size of the lapdock but with some tilt built into it. Could even make an oversized version of this with standoffs for the lapdock at the back and rubber feet at the front:

http://www.skpang.co.uk/catalog/starter ... -1107.html

PS - I got my RMA'd replacement, everything seems to be in order. To their credit they shipped out the replacement before receiving the return. Still awaiting my hdmi adapter.

I'd be tempted to call it an AirPi, playing on the slimness of the lapdock as compared to the Macbook Air. Or maybe PiBook. If apple puns are your thing? (probably not) ;-)

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:01 pm

PiBook gets my vote, but, then, that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who's read more than three words of my posts in the interests of Equal Time vs. Non-fruited varieties of computing devices.

I'd previously posted about the under-lapdock case I'm building that contains the Pi board, a powered USB hub, a USB hard drive, a WiFi transceiver, and probably some other stuff like a wireless keyboard/trackpad transceiver (that I'd been using before the lapdock arrived), etc. The microHDMI and microUSB cables connecting to the unmodified lapdock are routed down through the slot formed when the Atrix dock is swiveled up and connect into the case from the top (via connectors in the top left rear of the case, in the final version). I hope to have photos soon - I'm deep into the ugly_wires_and_literally_hacked-up_plastic_panels_all_over_the_place phase, where even I can't tell where one thing ends and another begins, yet, trying to get this done in time for the Silicon Valley Jam in a week-and-a-half.
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

TMFS

Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:27 pm

Here is what I came up with. I call it the Raspberry Brick...
video... http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php ... 2869570988
Attachments
Pi4.jpg
Pi4.jpg (35.5 KiB) Viewed 11257 times

selectnone

Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:03 pm

TMFS wrote:Here is what I came up with. I call it the Raspberry Brick...
Very nice!

AndrewS

Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:24 am

selectnone wrote:
TMFS wrote:Here is what I came up with. I call it the Raspberry Brick...
Very nice!
I suspect it contravenes http://www.raspberrypi.org/trademark-rules though :lol:
Is that a battery in there that the Pi is running from, or does it still need to be connected to mains power?

godFather89

Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:42 pm

godFather89 wrote:Anyone using Weezy with the lapdock? Sometimes the keyboard gives "missfires" (a key is missed or remains pressed).
Anybody with this issue? I just tested with squeeze and it works just fine. With wheezy (latest kernel) the problem persists.

itimpi

Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:35 am

godFather89 wrote:
godFather89 wrote:Anyone using Weezy with the lapdock? Sometimes the keyboard gives "missfires" (a key is missed or remains pressed).
Anybody with this issue? I just tested with squeeze and it works just fine. With wheezy (latest kernel) the problem persists.
I am using wheezy (when using Debian) on my lapdock and have not noted any such issues.

godFather89

Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:56 am

It happens only some times. For example I type in a line of a's in the terminal. They I hold backspace and it seems that sometimes everything freezes (for a few ms).

I installed original squeeze (+ wireless drivers since I don't have ethernet anymore on my Pi) and everything worked fine. After this I got the rpi-update script, ran it so that I would have the latest files (kernel, start.elf, etc.) and the problem appeared again. My guess is that it's a kernel (usb or keyboard driver) issue.

I haven't tried with a regular USB keyboard yet (maybe later today or next week).

TMFS

Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:51 pm

There is a battery. I used an 11.1v ARdrone battery.

Also, LOVE this laptop!

CampGareth

Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:27 am

Forgive me if this has been answered somewhere in the many pages of this thread, but what is the maximum power output of the Lapdock? I want to get one for my Raspi of course but I've spotted other dev boards that I'd like to use, some of which recommend up to 2 Amps.

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:23 am

The tiny power brick that comes with the lapdock is a Motorola SPN5936A and it puts out 19 volts at 1.58 amps. If we just assume away a bunch of efficiency stuff, that's roughly 30 watts. The max power draw of the Pi is in the neighborhood of around 3.5 watts typical worst case (full load on CPU and GPU, but, not overclocked or overvoltaged). Subtract out the display, keyboard, trackpad, battery charger, and USB hub, and you're probably looking at somewhere around 10 watts left over, which would normally be reserved for USB devices plugged into the lapdock hub. At a generous 1 amp at 5 volts, two such devices would use up that remaining 10 watts. However, most devices draw 0.5 amp, or less, so, that leaves 5 watts for the Pi - plenty of headroom over the 3.5 watt peak load, which is about 12%.

Another way to look at it is that Joe_T has gotten 3 ~ 4.5 hours of use out of his Pi when it was plugged into the lapdock without its charger connected to the AC/mains. That included operating the lapdock display, keyboard, trackpad, and USB hub, so, since it has a 3,600 milliamp-hour battery, that suggests the Pi used somewhere around 700 ma / 3,600 ma-h, or about 20% of the power available from the battery per hour (I've simplified a few things to ignore internal battery resistance, various inefficiencies, etc.). So, 12 ~ 20% is well within the same ballpark.

When I've got cables splayed out while fitting everything into the under-dock case, I'll measure the actual drain out of the battery with everything connected, as well as the drain from the Pi under various compute loads, so I can subtract the pairs of values to determine what the load from the lapdock really is. 3 ~ 4.5 hours is more than I would have expected, given that the Atrix phones reportedly run for up to eight hours on the lapdock battery, and they have their own internal battery, too.

This really is too cool for school! ;)
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats

Lob0426

Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:15 am

I got about three hours out of the Lapdock with my RasPi. I was using a USB HDD but there was a lot of idle time on there also. I had more time with just an SD under the same kind of use, use it, look stuff up on other system, use it some more. Multiple reboots like after rip-update and changing settings.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

Lob0426

Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:04 pm

I made a little discovery today. I left the USB HDD plugged in last night. This morning I saw it still plugged in and figured the battery would be dead. Nope the Lapdock USB HUB shuts down when the lid is closed. The RasPi stays powered but the hub does not. We need to track that cicuit down. We can place a relay to it that will shut the RasPi down when the lid is closed.

Open the display and the activity lights come on for the HDD, closed the display the activity lights stop.

I am using only the primary lead of the "Y" on the USB HDD cable and it works perfectly. So I have one port still open. The WiFi still will not work at all. @godFather solved this by getting rid of the onboard (LAN9512) hub. The "A" model will probably be a good candidate for the Lapdock. I just do not know when they are going to be sold yet. A way around this problem is the use a nano wireless router to provide wireless through the Ethernet port. It is powered by 5v.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833315095
used with a short CAT5 cable and attached to the display it should provide a good solid wireless bridge.

kimondouk

Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:30 pm

Here's my adapter box - it allows the Raspberry Pi to be docked with the lapdock, provides USB power and data, and has a little on / off switch so I don't have to keep pulling the cable out:
It looks quite nice paired with the ModMyPi case (which are finally shipping now).
I made the box from a screwdriver holder that came from a cheap pack of screwdrivers from poundland - I expoxy-ed the mirco USB / HDMI adapters together and routed the cables through the box - then added a switch from Maplin and did a bit of soldering. Alternative to a box would be to use a big lump of sugru.
Full instructions on my blog.
http://kimondo.co.uk/2012/07/14/raspber ... pi-laptop/

selectnone

Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:07 pm

Lob0426 wrote: The WiFi still will not work at all. @godFather solved this by getting rid of the onboard (LAN9512) hub. The "A" model will probably be a good candidate for the Lapdock. I just do not know when they are going to be sold yet. A way around this problem is the use a nano wireless router to provide wireless through the Ethernet port. It is powered by 5v.
used with a short CAT5 cable and attached to the display it should provide a good solid wireless bridge.
Have you tried getting the Wifi running before plugging in the Lapdock?

It's not ideal, but works for me - I did the initial setup with another keyboard, and now I only plug the Lapdock's USB in once the Wifi dongle's LED is flashing. After that, it seems to work fine for that session.

I'm wondering if there might be some kernel-compilation setting that might do the same job as godFather89's ethernet-removal fix - I'd rather keep my Raspi unmodified for now!

clickykbd

Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:28 pm

Lob0426 wrote:A way around this problem is the use a nano wireless router to provide wireless through the Ethernet port. It is powered by 5v.
It's even raspberry red already. hah!

Jim Manley

Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:04 am

Lob0426 wrote:A way around this problem is the use a nano wireless router to provide wireless through the Ethernet port. It is powered by 5v.
It took me a minute to realize that the SD card was being shown to compare the size of the nano router! I couldn't figure out why it would have both an SD card and a CD-ROM with the drivers, or where the SD card might fit into the device? :roll:

Too bad it costs as much as the Pi but, at least you can get two-day free shipping, making it at least $10 cheaper than the Pi, delivered. I wonder if something like an Eye-Fi SD card with WiFi would work in the Pi board's SD card slot (4GB is $39.99 8GB is $79.99)? Cameras with SD card slots typically run cut-down versions of Linux and are readily hacked, so ...

http://www.eye.fi/products/connectx2

ImageImage

Syliss

Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:33 am

Jim Manley wrote:
It took me a minute to realize that the SD card was being shown to compare the size of the nano router! I couldn't figure out why it would have both an SD card and a CD-ROM with the drivers, or where the SD card might fit into the device? :roll:

Too bad it costs as much as the Pi but, at least you can get two-day free shipping, making it at least $10 cheaper than the Pi, delivered. I wonder if something like an Eye-Fi SD card with WiFi would work in the Pi board's SD card slot (4GB is $39.99 8GB is $79.99)? Cameras with SD card slots typically run cut-down versions of Linux and are readily hacked, so ...

http://www.eye.fi/products/connectx2

ImageImage

The eyefi cards do not work that way. They cannot be used like a wifi adapter. Its only meant to be used for video and pictures. You might be able to send files but it will not send both ways. It is upload only.

Jim Manley

Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:39 am

Syliss wrote:The eyefi cards do not work that way. They cannot be used like a wifi adapter. Its only meant to be used for video and pictures. You might be able to send files but it will not send both ways. It is upload only.
Not so fast - that may be its default behavior, but, the software has been hacked for a variety of purposes, such as changing the default destination from Eye-Fi's upload servers directly to any desired local system.

Even in their default configuration, they can be written to by a computer (e.g., used as a normal SD card). Files can be also be executed from the card, per the Canon Hack Development Kit (CHDK) - it's interesting that there is no read-only lock on the cards. They can be configured to connect to up to 32 WiFi access points by entering the SSIDs and passwords, and one of the supported destination types is ftp servers. If a connection is made with an ftp server, then it may be feasible to do gets as well as puts - i.e., two-way file transfer.

I'm now curious enough that I might just get one of these at a discount from somewhere like ePrey or Amuckzon - 2GB cards are reportedly available for ~$20.

Some more searching found the Toshiba 8GB FlashAir which not only provides two-way file transfer, it can act as an 802.11b/g/n WiFi access point and has a web server built-in! It's been available in Japan since February and was supposed to be on sale in the U.S. in June, although I haven't found anywhere to buy it, yet, other than one ePrey item ... for $153.00 Buy It Now ... thanks, but, no thanks!

Lob0426

Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:03 am

The Toshiba card has been brought up before. They could be a very compact package. Especially when the "A" models are available. But not at $153. The question I have is will they work as rootfs and WiFi without a lot of interference between the functions. It has got to slow down when it is downloading and storing it to the same card interface. Of course you could move root to an USB stick or a USB HDD or SSD. Boot really will not be a big deal as the RasPi handles that without anything special done to the card.

Return to “General discussion”