adityakas

Raspberry Pi + WebRTC

Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:03 pm

Hi Everyone,

I've been eager to get WebRTC running on a Raspberry Pi and was wondering whether anyone has had much luck?
I had a good play with the camera module when it was released last March but have since fallen a bit out of touch with progress.

Thanks in advance!

Adi

slowbadger

Re: Raspberry Pi + WebRTC

Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:23 pm

Hey Adi!

I am also looking into WebRTC. As far as I can tell the hardware should be able to make a video call in theory but I am a little lost on interacting with the GPU.

I did have a thought on linking two Pis so you could encode the video on one and decode on another to free up some more power but I am not sure how feasible would be. Has anyone else got any experience in trying this?

gregd72002_

Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:17 am

Before I start to reinvent the wheel, anyone got some progress on this?

Looking to get camera live streaming from RPi to a PC using WebRTC for my project

https://github.com/rpicopter/AvrMiniCopter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyR4wM2C4sA

sauravkp

Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:36 am

Guys,
I am also looking for the exact same thing. I have started playing with raspberry pi some time back and I have a fair idea about it now.
I am professionally a web guy with fair amount of knowledge of linux. I also have working experience of webrtc. I was thinking of taking an initiative to create something (either port an advanced browser like mozilla or create a native webrtc client on pi itself). My goal is to integrate webrtc with either raspbian or xbmc so that I can have a direct video chat from my TV itself.

Any takers for a project of such kind? If something is already available to start with , Please share.

Many thanks.

gregd72002_

Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:55 am

Hi, I can only say I had some success with janus-gateway. It did stream well but some more tweaking was needed for which I did not have time. Look for the project issue list titled 'h264'.

emmynet

Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:26 am

youtube-channel: emmynet
blog: emmanuelgranatello.blogspot.com

sauravkp

Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:35 am

Thanks for the reply.
OpenwebRTC is not yet ready for real world webrtc implementation . WebRTC in itself is no big deal who knows basic java script.The toughest part is signalling. I am currently working on it. The problem I am facing is that I am not able to install latest version of mozilla firefox on Raspberry Pi. The day I can do that all my problems will be solved.I tried the demo openwebrtc website and it didn't worked with safari on my mac but it worked on firefox. Therefore, I am trying to create a super lightweight cross compiled linux distro like Arch Linux on top of which I will be installing an WebRTC capable browser.

fruitoftheloom

Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:57 am

sauravkp wrote:Thanks for the reply.
OpenwebRTC is not yet ready for real world webrtc implementation . WebRTC in itself is no big deal who knows basic java script.The toughest part is signalling. I am currently working on it. The problem I am facing is that I am not able to install latest version of mozilla firefox on Raspberry Pi. The day I can do that all my problems will be solved.I tried the demo openwebrtc website and it didn't worked with safari on my mac but it worked on firefox. Therefore, I am trying to create a super lightweight cross compiled linux distro like Arch Linux on top of which I will be installing an WebRTC capable browser.
"mozilla firefox on Raspberry Pi." not feasible whatsoever, yes I am being pedantic :roll:

Actually Firefox version 35.0.1 is in Arch Linux Arm repository which is the latest release, have you actually tried this ?

IceWeasel 31.4.0 ESR (Firefox 31 ESR) is in Raspbian Wheezy (Firefox 38 ESR is released around June), yes Ice is based on Extended Support Releases.

Unfortunately in general many add-ons and extensions will not imlement when the Browser is compiled for ARMHF
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

towolf

Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:32 pm

Got a simple demo working. Posted description in other thread.

Now to strip down the demo to remove extraneous HTML from Janus default page.

RpiName

Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:12 pm

adityakas wrote:I've been eager to get WebRTC running on a Raspberry Pi and was wondering whether anyone has had much luck?
See UV4L for various solutions based on WebRTC, two-way realtime p2p audio + video (video is rendered on the pi display, audio rendered on the speakers), streaming to cloud (Jitsi Meet), HD *hardware* encoding/decoding H264, VP8, VP9, upcoming Janus support and many other things. Web and/or command line driven, no configuration required, no browser necessary on the pi.

http://linux-projects.org

Return to “General discussion”