anest

Re: Second Ethernet port needed!

Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:14 pm

Please!!! I'm sure its will make this device very, VERY useful as router! with true routing functionality as traffic shaping, QoS and more!
Also i'm personally interesting on cheap router with 2 NIC's devices as Asterisk PBX stations for small sized offices. In most cases its need 2 ethernet ports.
ps: second network port as addon is OK.
thanks! :)

yoonsikp

Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:18 pm

They are pretty cheap

obarthelemy

Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:27 pm

The RPi is a tool to learn programming, and maybe hardware hacking. Not a router. Plus, not only does the Model B's integrated Ethernet use USB2 internally, but if you put another USB-Ethernet stick, both will be contending for bandwidth on the same internal USB2 bus, and, as a reminder, USB2 is half-duplex.
Slow routing ensues.

Gabriel

Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:53 pm

Quote from yoonsikp on September 6, 2011, 16:18
you could just get this
http://www.amazon.com/USB-Ethe.....038;sr=1-2

Hey ! Thank you I never thought it was possible to make a usb ethernet card !
I'm going to build routers with rPi ! :P
My home-made case : http://goo.gl/nprcI ; My presentation http://goo.gl/5hSar et en français : http://goo.gl/28Vif ; Please think to the FAQ and to the Wiki

Johannes

Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:58 pm

There are routers with 5 Ethernet ports, VLAN support and Wifi that can run OpenWRT and cost less than a Raspi. You can add a second USB-Ethernet port to a Raspi, but I think you should look into other options.

anest

Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:24 am

Quote from obarthelemy on September 6, 2011, 16:27
The RPi is a tool to learn programming, and maybe hardware hacking. Not a router. Plus, not only does the Model B's integrated Ethernet use USB2 internally, but if you put another USB-Ethernet stick, both will be contending for bandwidth on the same internal USB2 bus, and, as a reminder, USB2 is half-duplex.
Slow routing ensues.
So its why i'm asking for second buil-in (as addon is possible too) hardware port! you said nothing new for me. we need two network ports, sitting on same fast bus (not nasty usb). thanks, i still have hope to see this in short future!

anest

Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:27 am

Quote from Johannes on September 6, 2011, 22:58
There are routers with 5 Ethernet ports ... and cost less than a Raspi.
WHERE? proof link please!
ps: its will be fast and powerful enough as Raspi??! Are you sure?

unholythree

Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:53 am

The wiki implies that a variety of expansion boards will be available after launch. Perhaps a NIC break-out will be among them. It wouldn't surprise me considering the interest expressed on the forum for use of the R-Pi as a cheap firewall, router, etc. If such a board is technically possible that is...

anest

Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:37 am

Thanks! Its that answer i was expecting :-)

Johannes

Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:20 am

@anest:
http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/st.....rt#tp-link
http://geizhals.at/eu/?cat=wla.....038;sort=p

Those don't have as fast a CPU as the Raspi's, and memory is scarce (flash and RAM), but they're all you need for a flexible router. Due to the interface limitations of the SoC, the Raspi will never be as good a router as these little purpose-built devices.

anest

Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:03 am

@Johannes:
I don't think your answer is helpful for me. I sent my request to the developers, if you are not one of them - please go away and don't waste your time here. thank you.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:09 am

Anest - we welcome help and input from the community here. Often the developers are much too busy to respond to individual requests. This is a friendly and polite forum; please keep it that way. I'm very pleased to see Johannes' suggestions and help, and hope that other people from the community will offer you support too.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

anest

Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:13 am

Actually i got answer already above, but thanks liz you find time to take a look here too :-)
ps: can't wait to get it to my hands! ;)

iAreNewb

Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:48 am

... Just because somebody else already answered you, doesn't mean that Johannes's advice was any less valuable. He did not overtly offend you or dissuade you, merely stated the truth -- that because the R-Pi uses USB2 as a base for its single Ethernet port, and because there are limited GPIO pins (with unknown specifications at this time), Ethernet on the R-Pi is necessarily very slow and port count limited. Any application requiring more than a single Ethernet port will very likely be much slower and less useful on the R-Pi than on an average consumers' embedded device.

I dislike your attitude in the above posts; firstly, you (coldly, if politely) dismiss Johannes's relatively reasonable post, telling him to "go away and not waste [his] time," because "[you] don't think [his] answer is helpful for [you]." You don't state why you find his post unhelpful. Liz then responds by telling you to be a little more constructive and appreciative of others' advice. You then respond by completely ignoring the point of her post -- to work with the community rather than pick and choose what you want to hear -- and instead answer brightly simply for the reason she is a "developer" (which has nothing to do with the content of her post at all).

I state this not to insult you, but as yet another piece of advice; you really need to read your posts over and think about what they come across to others who simply want to help. Otherwise, I'm afraid the responses you get will not be helpful in the least, despite others' best intentions.

anest

Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:18 am

I state this not to insult you
But you do! Your message is sound like punishment. I got all answers already, its was really no reason to start the flame here what you do. any moderators is here?
ps: but thanks for open my eyes and telling me what this product is sucks, i changed my mind already and will not buy this hardware. and will not recommend to my friends too, thanks again, dude. better i'll take a look on Fit-pc devices with 2 net ports. owners of this site must tell you big thank you, your posts is very helpful, you saved my money! ;)
goodbye.

gsh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:08 am

The only method of connecting another ethernet port would be through the USB (thats how the ethernet is connected using a LAN9512 type chip). So there would be no advantage in adding another port.
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD
Raspberry Pi - Director of Software Engineering

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:23 am

Guys, please keep this topic constructive. No point in stirring up unnecessary tension.

abishur

Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:41 pm

@gsh actually, even though the Ethernet really is just a usb to ethernet adapter, a second port would be helpful. Two 100 Mb ports running at max speed still wouldn't max out the top speeds of USB 2.0. That said, the number of people needing a second ethernet port (myself included ;) ) isn't a large enough percentage to warrant the additional cost of adding a second ethernet port to each board. I mean, I plan on getting a model A, and 3 model Bs (spread over several months of course). Only one of those models B needs two ethernet ports. I'm much happier with needing to speed a couple bucks on an extra usb to ethernet adapter for my one device which needs the extra port rather than having to pay more for each unit when I'm not going to be using it. :)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

mvb

Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:57 pm

Please again for the slow witted participants like me:
What would prevent an USB Hub with an Ethernet<->USB Adaptor ?

obarthelemy

Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:53 pm

Nothing at all, you can do it.
There's only a slight concurrency issue, because internally, the model B's Ethernet and 2 USB ports are connectd to the ARM via a single USB port. ie, everything but the SD card is competing for a single USB2 bandwidth. My guesstiamte is you can do two thing, not 3: ethernet x2 is OK; ethernet HD access is ok, ethernet x2 + HD access will have issues.

Blars

Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:00 am

There are also SPI to ethernet chips that it might be possible to hook to the gpio connector. However, they seem to be built to give a microcontroler some ethernet rather than speed. (But they would not contend with the USB bus.)

unholythree

Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:24 am

Quote from Blars on September 12, 2011, 08:00
There are also SPI to ethernet chips that it might be possible to hook to the gpio connector.

Interesting... I was hoping something like that might be the case. ;)

ryao

Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:04 pm

Quote from anest on September 7, 2011, 05:27
Quote from Johannes on September 6, 2011, 22:58
There are routers with 5 Ethernet ports ... and cost less than a Raspi.
WHERE? proof link please!
ps: its will be fast and powerful enough as Raspi??! Are you sure?

http://www.newegg.com/Store/Su.....gesize=100

rwaltman

Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:02 pm

Quote from unholythree on September 12, 2011, 08:24
Quote from Blars on September 12, 2011, 08:00
There are also SPI to ethernet chips that it might be possible to hook to the gpio connector.

Interesting... I was hoping something like that might be the case. ;)

See:
http://www.olimex.com/dev/enc2.....j60-h.html
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/765

--
Roberto Waltman

Return to “General discussion”