finnw

Re: Doom/Doom II/Quake (accelerated)

Tue May 29, 2012 9:38 am

tawalker wrote:I tried running prboom on my Pi yesterday evening...

Good news: it found the WAD files I'd installed, and there were no problems with sound (well, OK, the music wasn't playing, but the sound effects were).

Bad news: I couldn't see any visuals :( I tried specifying the "window" size to 640x480 (I was running prboom at the console, not under X), but it didn't have any effect.

Any ideas on how to get the game visible?

Many thanks :)
I have the same problem - but its worse than that - the console dies. I.e. you get a black screen, and it stays black until you reboot. Killing the prboom process does not help. I also tried running the hello_triangle demo afterwards - it is not visible either. This must be a kernel/firmware problem right? Because a userspace program should not be able to mess things up so badly.

grumpyoldgit

Tue May 29, 2012 10:15 am

I have been trying FreeDoom

sudo apt-get install freedoom

I'm not a Doom expert and I'm sure the number of levels is restricted but it is in colour and I didn't have to faff about sorting out screen size. I had already got sound going by following one of the many sound threads on here. Because I haven't got round to setting up speakers yet I have used earphones.

What it makes clear to me is that for applications that don't require a Gui, you would not know that you are running on a Pi at all.

gordon@drogon.net

Tue May 29, 2012 10:31 am

finnw wrote:
tawalker wrote:I tried running prboom on my Pi yesterday evening...

Good news: it found the WAD files I'd installed, and there were no problems with sound (well, OK, the music wasn't playing, but the sound effects were).

Bad news: I couldn't see any visuals :( I tried specifying the "window" size to 640x480 (I was running prboom at the console, not under X), but it didn't have any effect.

Any ideas on how to get the game visible?

Many thanks :)
I have the same problem - but its worse than that - the console dies. I.e. you get a black screen, and it stays black until you reboot. Killing the prboom process does not help. I also tried running the hello_triangle demo afterwards - it is not visible either. This must be a kernel/firmware problem right? Because a userspace program should not be able to mess things up so badly.
You'd hope so, but .... Basically that's been my experiences with the SDL libraries and console graphics using it. Prboom uses SDL - which essentially provides a low(ish) level "screen" type of graphical access. (as well as a nice API to sound, keyboard, mouse, etc.)

However when you get it right, then it's seems to mostly work.

However for now, just run-up X, then launch prboom from an terminal window under X and run it full-screen...

I'll see if I can work out some good console runes to make prboom work directly on the console later tonight - but hey, this is a (nearly) 20 year old game... ;-)

-Gordon
--
Gordons projects: https://projects.drogon.net/

Bikko

Tue May 29, 2012 4:00 pm

getting unable to fetch some archives when trying to use apt-get

grumpyoldgit

Tue May 29, 2012 4:02 pm

Bikko wrote:getting unable to fetch some archives when trying to use apt-get
Have you remembered to put sudo in front?

Bikko

Tue May 29, 2012 4:06 pm

grumpyoldgit wrote:
Yea "48mb of space will be used "

Yes to it

Failed to fetch http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/pool/ma ... _armel.bed 404 not found unable to fect some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with - - fix-mis sing

grumpyoldgit

Tue May 29, 2012 4:10 pm

Bikko wrote:
grumpyoldgit wrote:
Yea "48mb of space will be used "

Yes to it

Failed to fetch http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/pool/ma ... _armel.bed 404 not found unable to fect some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with - - fix-mis sing
And did you follow the advice?

Bikko

Tue May 29, 2012 4:25 pm

worked now but now doesn't recognize prboom command when in doom folder with wads

bdg2

Wed May 30, 2012 1:51 am

riffraff wrote:I know there's an android version of DOOM, but I'm not sure if it's been ported to native ARM code or to Dalvik VM. DOOM doesn't require acceleration. Remember, this is a game that ran well on i386-SX.
Actually Doom was pretty poor on a 386SX, a 486 was best, and that was, of course at only 320*200 resolution.

Bikko

Wed May 30, 2012 9:12 pm

bdg2 wrote:
riffraff wrote:I know there's an android version of DOOM, but I'm not sure if it's been ported to native ARM code or to Dalvik VM. DOOM doesn't require acceleration. Remember, this is a game that ran well on i386-SX.
Actually Doom was pretty poor on a 386SX, a 486 was best, and that was, of course at only 320*200 resolution.
No math co processor and you needed a 486DX install some external CPU cache and watch it fly on that 8MB of EDO ram

rodonn

Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:52 am

I'd have to do some back digging, but Doom ran well on the ARM based Little Linux Laptop in 2009, so I'd assume the Pi can handle it.

Calpulz

Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:19 pm

Cant get it to work for me, installed prboom, made directory doom, placed wad file into that directory, changed directory to doom, then typed prboom, but it just returns "bash: prboom: command not found"

Any ideas?

EmLives

Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:06 pm

Does the binary exist in /usr/bin? Look for '/usr/bin/prboom'. Otherwise, it sounds like it didn't install properly.

Has anybody attempted this with Arch Linux (ARM)? I would think that its minimal design would be more suitable for emulator, or interpreter (ports), performance.

PrBoom background music depends on running Timidity (in software), and as such would add considerable overhead for a full Doom experience. Has anyone looked into running the original DOS executables through DOSBox?

I personally would like to see a ZDoom port, but that's probably wishful thinking.

EdwinJ85

Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:15 am

EmLives wrote:Does the binary exist in /usr/bin? Look for '/usr/bin/prboom'. Otherwise, it sounds like it didn't install properly.

Has anybody attempted this with Arch Linux (ARM)? I would think that its minimal design would be more suitable for emulator, or interpreter (ports), performance.

PrBoom background music depends on running Timidity (in software), and as such would add considerable overhead for a full Doom experience. Has anyone looked into running the original DOS executables through DOSBox?

I personally would like to see a ZDoom port, but that's probably wishful thinking.
Sorry to dig up old threads, but if you wan zdoom on linux you can compile the binaries yourself - I have no idea how well this would work on the pi but I do know zdoom uses the same SDL library that prboom does, so if prboom works there is a chance (however small) that zdoom should run on the pi.

That said, I don't fancy compiling huge programs myself on the pi, I'm sticking with prboom until I know more.
Hello!

ivaylopg

Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:16 am

Sorry to post in an old thread, but I'm trying to build zDoom following the instructions on this page: http://zdoom.org/wiki/Compile_ZDoom_on_Linux

I'm running Raspbian. About 15% into the compile, I get this error:

Code: Select all

cc1plus: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-msse’
make[2]: *** [dumb/CMakeFiles/dumb.dir/src/it/filter.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [dumb/CMakeFiles/dumb.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
I assume this is an x86 vs ARM issue. I know that sometimes in ARCH you can just add 'arm' or 'armv6h' to the PKGBUILD file to make it work. I assume this is more complicated, but is there any way to modify the makefile to make it compile on ARM? I'm very new to compiling in C, but hopefully somebody can help me out.

Also, I know there are other DOOM builds that will run on the RasPi, but I need zDoom specifically to play .pk3 files of a game created for an art installation.

Thanks!

Return to “General discussion”