azibux1

Is this PSU suitable for the Pi?

Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:26 pm

Hi all,

New user to the Raspberry Pi (still hasn't arrived yet) but is this a suitable power supply to use?

It falls within the criteria for voltage as far as I'm aware and the amp rating, but I know it needs to be regulated too? Is that the symbol in between the voltage and amp rating? Or can anyone tell if this will be suitable?

It was bought from eBay / Amazon a while ago, not stupidly cheap 99p job but wasn't much more than that either

Hope you can help

:)

SirLagz

Re: Is this PSU suitable for the Pi?

Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:34 am

Assuming the label is accurate, yes it will be fine.
Make sure you use a good quality USB cable with it too though, as that can make a huge difference
My Blog - http://www.sirlagz.net
Visit my blog for Tips, Tricks, Guides and More !
WiFi Issues ? Have a look at this post ! http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=44044

azibux1

Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:36 am

SirLagz wrote:Assuming the label is accurate, yes it will be fine.
Make sure you use a good quality USB cable with it too though, as that can make a huge difference
Hi,

Okay thanks :)

Yes I'll use a good cable I've got that came with a logitech mouse / keyboard

Thanks for confirmation!

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:08 am

azibux1 wrote: It falls within the criteria for voltage as far as I'm aware and the amp rating, but I know it needs to be regulated too? Is that the symbol in between the voltage and amp rating?
No, that symbol indicates DC.
Or can anyone tell if this will be suitable?
The fact a tolerance of 5% is specified after the 5V would indicate it is regulated.
It was bought from eBay / Amazon a while ago, not stupidly cheap 99p job but wasn't much more than that either
If what the label says is true than that PSU should be suitable.

The problem is that there are plenty of Chinese vendors who are quite prepared to apply labels fraudulently. So just because the label implies it is suitable doesn't mean it actually will be.

pluggy

Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:42 am

The less you paid, the more likely the supply bears no relation to what it says on the label. Cheap power supplies labelled 5v and 1 Amp often will do 5V and 1 Amp, only not at the same time......
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

redhawk

Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:06 am

If the label is to be believed then the PSU should be fine, however cheap and nasty ultra compact ones tend to drop their voltage output a lot with respect to load.
My suggestion would be to try it but also measure TP1/TP2 with a digital voltmeter and make sure the output voltage variations are within acceptable limits.
A bad power supply can cause reboots, hanging, boot error messages, intermittent LAN connectivity, USB devices intermittent or unresponsive, excessive buzzing via headphones socket and possible SD data corruption.

Richard S.

azibux1

Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:06 am

Thank for all the replies

I'm going to use this power supply then as it can't cause any lasting damage

Then if I have performance issues I will replace it with a more expensive one

Return to “General discussion”