danfoshizzle

Have rs kept some stock back for returns

Tue May 15, 2012 12:07 pm

Just got off the phone with a woman from RS, and apart from directing me to a pdf download, has not helped me really, My Pi has a faulty SD slot, the plastic that holds the SD card in place has come away. Have been told to return my PI,(at cost to me) but was just wondering if anybody knew the how long it would take to get a pi sent back out to me?

I was using the pi in normal circumstance and the two plastic retainers either side of the Pi's SD slot came off, was it a defective pi or something for other people to be careful of?

Ravenous

Re: Have rs kept some stock back for returns

Tue May 15, 2012 12:16 pm

If you're in the UK, I believe the sale of goods act means you shouldn't have to pay for return postage, or at least should be refunded, provided the goods were at fault and not yourself. In your case it sounds like that's debatable though. Almost all retailers seem to try to get away with this sort of thing by the way (I've been stung by certain suppliers supplying goods which were faulty).

To answer your main question though, I doubt they would keep stock back. That would just lengthen the wait for others.

(Edit: By "certain suppliers" I definitely do NOT mean RS by the way. Nothing wrong with them in my opinion.)
Last edited by Ravenous on Tue May 15, 2012 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danfoshizzle

Tue May 15, 2012 12:21 pm

Was only what could be considered normal use, IE removing and inserting the sd card trying different images, and getting the pi to display on my tv, so I struggle to see how they would take it as my fault, although if they did what would the process then be, would they send me back my faulty pi, or make me pay for a replacement?

Sorry for all the questions, but waited so long, and its quite distressing lol :)

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Tue May 15, 2012 12:22 pm

Actually, Ravenous, I'm pleased to say you're wrong. It's good practice to keep some back for returns, which is exactly what both companies have been doing.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

grumpyoldgit

Tue May 15, 2012 12:23 pm

I am also interested in how quickly it takes to replace an RS Pi. In the SD socket there is a piece of metal that comes up the side and looks as if it is the sensor for identifying whether the card is locked. The first time I noticed this piece of metal was sometime on day 1 when the card was not inserting properly as the piece of metal was bent over and scrunched up at the bottom of the socket. I have managed to untangle it but it means I need three hands when ever I insert a card. An irritation at the moment but I suspect it will eventually break off completely.

danfoshizzle

Tue May 15, 2012 12:36 pm

Ah, phew, thought I would of needed to wait, cheers for clearing that up Liz!

rmm200

Tue May 15, 2012 3:26 pm

You might want to put a warning in the FAQ to be very careful with the SD card socket. As the mechanical part with the most likelihood of failure, users could use some tips on use. Bad thing about the production ramp is it does not allow any time to change the build based on feedback from early adopters.

danfoshizzle

Tue May 15, 2012 8:13 pm

Yeah, it does seem delicate to me, but that might just be me being to panicky about my Pi lol, I will be sending the Pi back on monday, cannot get to a post office till then, so will update the thread when I hear from them!

danfoshizzle

Wed May 16, 2012 9:28 am

Just got a better answer over the phone, they will refund postage costs, and will have another pi shipped out to me within a couple of days of sending in the faulty one, so not too bad after all

Ravenous

Wed May 16, 2012 9:37 am

Thanks for the update. I'll be having several model A's when available, so positive stories about the suppliers are useful.

ward560

Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:02 pm

My Pi has become faulty one of the gold pins in the SD slot have broken away. do i have a defective pi or is this something that is happening to other peoples pi? Have been waiting months for the arrival and in two days is broken :cry:
What can i do.
J.ward

yoodoo2

Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:38 pm

I've been using a micro-SD card inside a card adapter for this very reason .

nick.mccloud

Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:38 pm

ward560 wrote:My Pi has become faulty one of the gold pins in the SD slot have broken away. do i have a defective pi or is this something that is happening to other peoples pi? Have been waiting months for the arrival and in two days is broken :cry:
Contact your supplier to get an exchange. If you choose to do it by email and you don't get a response as quickly as you'd like you will have to phone them up.

danfoshizzle

Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:52 am

I received my replacement pi at 7.45 this morning, apparently he passed my house on his way out and tried his luck early :P

RS are not the best at keeping you informed, and have since found out that the phone-line is a little useless, all they actually know is that the pi exists, and that there is a pi team, you are not allowed to actually speak to the pi team, as they only deal with email, so that makes things a little harder, but they did not even question the return, which is awesome!

Return to “General discussion”