I feel like the community on the forum is:

Poll ended at Mon May 21, 2012 4:30 pm

A helpful place where people are encouraged to ask questions
37%
Has a couple annoying people, but they don't get in the way of genuine discussion
42%
Meh. It's better than slashdot, but it's not like there's anything useful being said
3%
A confusing place! I can't find anything despite using the search feature and every time I ask for help I get told that google is my friend :-(
10%
An unwelcoming place. Everyone who has the answers won't talk at a level I can understand and when I ask for help I get told that if I can't even do x I should give my pi to someone who deserves it
4%
The Forum? The Forum? Who cares about the community on the forum? I just want my pi! Can I Haz plz?
3%

Total votes: 91
abishur

Re: Health of the Community Check

Tue May 15, 2012 4:54 pm

grumpyoldgit wrote:I am using Firefox. With Raspite the formatting of the bars is all over the place. It doesn't make any sense at all. With Prosilver it all snaps into place.
interesting. I'm also using prosilver for the moment, so I had no idea!
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

grumpyoldgit

Tue May 15, 2012 5:00 pm

Just checked it out with Chromium. Looks the same. Formatting in Raspite all over the place but in Prosilver it is fine.

grumpyoldgit

Tue May 15, 2012 5:08 pm

Just checked Raspite and Prosilver out on Chromium on a Pi. The same formatting issues apply with Raspite.

Ibanezjem

Tue May 15, 2012 5:16 pm

abishur wrote: What browser are you using and is this on a mobile device or a standard computer? I should also note that this is less about about the forum itself, and more about the community
It wasn't meant to derail the topic, but to point out there may be an issue with the display for different options.
Currently using Firefox on Windows 7, just tried IE something or other and got the same results.
Just tried with Debian and firefox, as guest, still same formatting issue.

Ibanezjem

Tue May 15, 2012 6:35 pm

Ibanezjem wrote:
abishur wrote: What browser are you using and is this on a mobile device or a standard computer? I should also note that this is less about about the forum itself, and more about the community
It wasn't meant to derail the topic, but to point out there may be an issue with the display for different options.
Currently using Firefox on Windows 7, just tried IE something or other and got the same results.
On X86 machine running Debian and Firefox. Must be recent versions, only downloaded in last couple of weeks.
Logged into forum. still with raspite theme and not right. Once I change options to Prosilver, the formatting is OK.

abishur

Tue May 15, 2012 7:13 pm

Ibanezjem wrote:
Oh don't worry about it ;-) The important thing is the poll, this area is for follow up comments (which are important too), but there haven't been many (any?) of those so I don't mind the general chat about the poll display issue :-)

Golem

Tue May 15, 2012 8:31 pm

I don’t know how many people out there are non-members and are actively reading this forum. It seems they can’t vote unless they become members and are logged in.
“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication”
- LDV

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Tue May 15, 2012 8:41 pm

I'd stayed with Raspite, and I couldn't make head nor tail of the poll - as suggested, a switch to ProSilver dragged the formatting back into line. But I still don't like the ProSilver aesthetics. As for the poll questions, well.... :roll: I like the FOURTH option (Google is your friend) as people still don't seem to have got their head around the concept that Google is being used to search the forum, rather then the entire web!

Oh well, looks like most respondents (once they can SEE the poll) are pretty positive about the experience!
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

abishur

Tue May 15, 2012 8:52 pm

Golem wrote:I don’t know how many people out there are non-members and are actively reading this forum. It seems they can’t vote unless they become members and are logged in.
All by design :-) It's hard to be part of a community if you're standing outside eavesdropping ;-)

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Tue May 15, 2012 10:05 pm

abishur wrote:
Golem wrote:I don’t know how many people out there are non-members and are actively reading this forum. It seems they can’t vote unless they become members and are logged in.
All by design :-) It's hard to be part of a community if you're standing outside eavesdropping ;-)
Elegantly put.

(Though eavesdropping is fun......)
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

Golem

Tue May 15, 2012 10:47 pm

abishur wrote:
Well, for what it is worth, I have seen forums out there that had little a voting box right on the home page of the forum. Members and non-members alike were able to vote. In some cases you could only see the poll results if you placed your vote. The little voting box had a link for comments as well.
I don’t know that I would call people who are not members, or do not log in, “eavesdroppers” since I suspect many of the 17,485 members of this forum often cruise the forum without logging in first. I login only when I have something to say or to make changes to my account.
Anyway, I think a little poll box on the home page would bring a lot more votes.

I feel like the community on the forum is:
A heck of a lot better since more people are getting their RPi! :D

Cheers
“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication”
- LDV

blc

Wed May 16, 2012 8:16 am

Aw hell yea! Thanks to those pointing out that I could change the theme myself - raspite is really broken on my PC in work, thanks to not being able to install any new software and being lumped with IE6 (ick!). Prosilver actually makes things look right, and I think I prefer it overall - I'm used to phpBB forums, so it just feels more familiar.

As for the forums themselves, well I have to say that they're pretty darn helpful. There are an awful lot of people putting in an awful lot of time and effort to help others out and moderate. Plus it's nice to see Liz and even Eben popping in and posting; most forums I visit are almost completely devoid of creator/founder/admin/whatever input.

deskyeti

Wed May 16, 2012 9:55 am

Using Google Chrome on my laptop with the Raspite theme, the poll buttons are all over the place, if I switch to Prosilver it all looks good.

Firefox with Raspite the poll is jumbled up but not as bad as Chrome, Prosilver looks fine.
IE9 with Raspite the poll is jumbled, with Prosilver its fine.

Safari on my iPad using Raspite still has the huge header and vertical list of buttons to the right problem, but the poll at least looks partly right.

Oh, I also voted :D

SN

Wed May 16, 2012 8:09 pm

Poll on prosilver on Android browser is fine.
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

quitequick

Fri May 18, 2012 7:59 am

@ Abishur - how are you going to interpret and use the poll results?

Also, how will you factor into the results the profile of the respondents e.g. if forum 'dislikers' are more likely to respond than 'likers' you may end up with a false or skewed result. How will you factor into the results those people who do not use the forum because they strongly do not 'like' the forum and therefore not know the poll exists?

Just curious!

grumpyoldgit

Fri May 18, 2012 8:05 am

How will you factor in the 6 billion or so people on the planet who have never heard of the Pi and who are therefore unlikely to us the site?

quitequick

Fri May 18, 2012 8:24 am

I was only interested in correctly reflecting the opinions of those people on the planet who have used the forum, as I think my post suggested.

abishur

Fri May 18, 2012 7:28 pm

quitequick wrote:@ Abishur - how are you going to interpret and use the poll results?

Also, how will you factor into the results the profile of the respondents e.g. if forum 'dislikers' are more likely to respond than 'likers' you may end up with a false or skewed result. How will you factor into the results those people who do not use the forum because they strongly do not 'like' the forum and therefore not know the poll exists?

Just curious!
It's a fair question. Polls and statistics are ultimately flawed no matter what you do to try and make sure it's accurate. That's why there's so many polls that show overwhelming support for an issue, but when it comes time to vote, the proposition fails miserably. Ultimately, all I *can* do is work off the assumption that those who respond approximately represent a proportional amount of the fan base.

As for the second question. Well those people aren't a part of the community and usually for a good reason. People who tended to strongly dislike this forum just because of the software being used also tended to walk around with a chip on their shoulder looking to stir up trouble. Not all of them mind you, but a significant percentage.

Again, I can only work off what exists and right now it's appears to be what I was expecting. A generally good environment, a lot of people find someone on the forum annoying (which is natural and not really an issue), but it can be confusing (which to some means unwelcoming). Which, you might be interested to know, the mods have been talking about a way we can fix the confusing issue and I think y'all will be pleased when we get a chance to implement it (mwa ha ha! Foreshadowing!)

abishur

Sun May 20, 2012 4:01 pm

We're entering the last 24 hours of the poll and if you haven't voted yet, I hope you'll take the time to :-)

I also hope you're enjoying the additional forums we've added in an effort to make it more clear on where to look for answers and alleviate some of the confusion that we know has been growing in the forum :-)

mjlally

Sun May 20, 2012 9:02 pm

I like how the site and the forum are evolving although I think more could be done for linux newbies and children. I think the beginners section of the forum is too narrowly defined with the result that information that may help is posted elsewhere.

It is all very well for those of us with more experience to say the forums can be searched for whatever it happens to be but the very inexperienced can fall at this hurdle through not knowing what to search for.

abishur

Mon May 21, 2012 6:44 pm

A big thanks to everyone who participated in this poll. I'm very pleased that the results were pretty much what I was expecting (yay, I'm not out of touch with reality!). As the results show our main issue on the forums right now (aside from the unavoidable issue of finding someone you find annoying no matter where you go ;-)) is that the forums are a confusing place. 10% may not seem like a lot in the long term, but it's more than we want. It's also my personal belief that half of the reason some of y'all found the forums to be unwelcoming is an issue of the fact that it can be confusing. We've already rolled out the new sub-forums, which has been something we've wanted to do since just before the launch, and it's out hope that with more well rounded areas to talk in you'll find the forums to be a much less confusing place.

For the annoying thing, try and place nice :-P but if you run into someone that you feel is crossing the line from annoying to "follows me everywhere I post and is bullying me" then please PM one of the forum moderators. It may be an issue of it's a "small" forum and you're just going to run into people, but we will check it out and make sure it's not something deeper. It's all of our desires for this forum to be a welcoming and helpful place :-)

Return to “General discussion”