I feel like the community on the forum is:

Poll ended at Mon May 21, 2012 4:30 pm

A helpful place where people are encouraged to ask questions
37%
Has a couple annoying people, but they don't get in the way of genuine discussion
42%
Meh. It's better than slashdot, but it's not like there's anything useful being said
3%
A confusing place! I can't find anything despite using the search feature and every time I ask for help I get told that google is my friend :-(
10%
An unwelcoming place. Everyone who has the answers won't talk at a level I can understand and when I ask for help I get told that if I can't even do x I should give my pi to someone who deserves it
4%
The Forum? The Forum? Who cares about the community on the forum? I just want my pi! Can I Haz plz?
3%

Total votes: 91
abishur

Health of the Community Check

Mon May 14, 2012 4:30 pm

Now that we have the new forums up that can do polls, I thought we'd do a little check and see how y'all feel the community we have on this forum is doing? I ask that you keep your replies respectful, do not attack or even mention anyone by name, and please don't reply to other people's responses. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I'm not out to forcibly change people's minds. I just to want to know what people are thinking. You can only select one response so pick the one that you feel is most accurate :-) Side note: I can't see who responded to what so don't be afraid of answering honestly
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Health of the Community Check

Mon May 14, 2012 4:32 pm

No entry for confusingly formatted polls.....
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

abishur

Mon May 14, 2012 4:36 pm

jamesh wrote:No entry for confusingly formatted polls.....
hey now :-P

prodata

Mon May 14, 2012 4:39 pm

Struggling to answer this because I want a 2D poll. Or at least I think you're asking two different questions: helpful vs intimidating and clear/well-structured vs confusing.

I think the forum is pretty helpful in general and any unhelpful comments I can live with or ignore.

As to clear/confusing, hmm I still find it pretty jumbled TBH. The new forum is a real step forward, especially in prosilver (though I do miss the list of recent posts) but the detailed forum structure could probably benefit from a rethink and become more granular - obviously you don't want to go too far down that road, but it's maybe still too coarse at the moment.

abishur

Mon May 14, 2012 4:42 pm

prodata wrote: (though I do miss the list of recent posts)
This URL

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/searc ... nreadposts

will display any unread post :-) There should be a link to that on the forum front page, but I'm a lazy kind of guy so I put it on my toolbar

prodata

Mon May 14, 2012 5:14 pm

abishur wrote: This URL will display any unread post..
Fine, but that's unread posts rather than recent posts. If I've been away from the forum for a day or two, I don't really have time to plough through maybe 100 accumulated posts - I'd just like to use a list of the 12/20 or whatever most recent posts as a way in to whatever are the current active threads.

grumpyoldgit

Mon May 14, 2012 5:25 pm

Has anyone worked out yet how to mark everything as read?

abishur

Mon May 14, 2012 5:27 pm

grumpyoldgit wrote:Has anyone worked out yet how to mark everything as read?
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/index ... ark=forums

abishur

Mon May 14, 2012 5:30 pm

prodata wrote:
abishur wrote: This URL will display any unread post..
Fine, but that's unread posts rather than recent posts. If I've been away from the forum for a day or two, I don't really have time to plough through maybe 100 accumulated posts - I'd just like to use a list of the 12/20 or whatever most recent posts as a way in to whatever are the current active threads.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/searc ... d=newposts

Don't know what they define "new" as but there it is :-) This is all visible on the "silverpro" forum, but I thought it was on the "raspite" one as well on the forum front page

grumpyoldgit

Mon May 14, 2012 5:32 pm

abishur wrote:
I've clicked on that but it still says that I have over 1000 unread posts.

abishur

Mon May 14, 2012 5:37 pm

grumpyoldgit wrote:
abishur wrote:
I guess it only works if you click on it directly instead of through a link I posted on a thread. It should be on the forum front page (try looking for "Mark Forums Read") but if it's not on the raspite forum layout you can temporarily swap to the prosilver long enough to click on the link and get everything marked ;-)

E

Mon May 14, 2012 5:43 pm

I'd say on the whole the forum atmosphere/helpfulness is very good. I've certainly had my questions answered well. It is still a little hard to find the info you're after by searching though, if you're not sure of the correct jargon/key word.

The new look is a big improvement - nice work - but I do get a few misplaced buttons, and the formatting of the poll was all over the place.

grumpyoldgit

Mon May 14, 2012 5:48 pm

abishur wrote:
grumpyoldgit wrote:
I guess it only works if you click on it directly instead of through a link I posted on a thread. It should be on the forum front page (try looking for "Mark Forums Read") but if it's not on the raspite forum layout you can temporarily swap to the prosilver long enough to click on the link and get everything marked ;-)
Prosilver had passed me by so I have switched to it. I have to say that it is much more pleasing on the eye. The screen is clearer and looks more professional. I was also able to mark everything as read. Unless there is some issue I have missed I will be sticking with it.

cheery

Mon May 14, 2012 6:10 pm

I'm bit more on giving side than taking. I'm quite unsure of the community health at the moment. Can see it's not broken at least.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Mon May 14, 2012 6:24 pm

Eben has a cold (and I am grumpy and sleep-deprived, because it causes some remarkable snoring). I suggest we dock some community health points to reflect that.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

tufty

Mon May 14, 2012 6:32 pm

There's no "OMG TEH MODS ARE NAZIS" option.

abishur

Mon May 14, 2012 6:45 pm

tufty wrote:There's no "OMG TEH MODS ARE NAZIS" option.
Mwa ha ha! This thread was a trick to find out who to ban! :twisted:

(joking!)

jamesh

Mon May 14, 2012 9:50 pm

Prosilver has passed me by so much I don't even know how to install/use it.

With regards to new posts, is it only mods who get a big New Posts link at the top of the forum?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

grumpyoldgit

Mon May 14, 2012 9:55 pm

At Board Index I see

View unanswered posts • View unread posts • View new posts • View active topics Mark forums read

Prosilver is just an option under your profile. It does look a lot better. The default is rather anaemic.

Golem

Tue May 15, 2012 3:28 pm

If this thread doesn’t get locked up it will mean that some aspects of it are doing better. ;)
“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication”
- LDV

teh_orph

Tue May 15, 2012 3:37 pm

I'd choose a matrix of check boxes :)
Btw why is this a sticky? Less of an issue with this new forum layout but with the old one stickies took up over half of the page.

abishur

Tue May 15, 2012 3:42 pm

Thanks to everyone who has voted thus far! Even if you don't have a comment I'd appreciate it if everyone took just a moment to vote. I've been here since there was a forum so I can be a little jaded in how it's operating and would greatly appreciate the minute it would take to share your opinion :-)
teh_orph wrote:I'd choose a matrix of check boxes :)
Btw why is this a sticky? Less of an issue with this new forum layout but with the old one stickies took up over half of the page.
I made it a sticky for the duration of the poll because as a moderator, I'm serious about getting your feed back on the current status of the community. If we're blind to an issue in the forum then we need to know about it. While I added that last option because I find myself hilarious, it actually is a serious poll ;-)

Ibanezjem

Tue May 15, 2012 4:40 pm

Hope these comments help.
When I first saw this post, it was all disjointed and didn't display right at all.
I came in from RaspberryPi.Org home page and clicked on forum.
I had some bar graph things all over the place, but no option box to select.
Logged on with Raspite as the theme and now have selection boxes all over the place and no bar graphs!
Went to "User Control Panel","Board Preferences", changed "My Board Style" to "Prosilver" and now I have nicely aligned selection boxes on their own lines following the text. No bar graphs though.
Not decided which way to go yet, maybe one of the first two, now they make sense! ;)
Although the last one may apply. I have a horrible feeling mine will fail delivery because I'm on holiday!

abishur

Tue May 15, 2012 4:42 pm

Ibanezjem wrote:Hope these comments help.
When I first saw this post, it was all disjointed and didn't display right at all.
I came in from RaspberryPi.Org home page and clicked on forum.
I had some bar graph things all over the place, but no option box to select.
Logged on with Raspite as the theme and now have selection boxes all over the place and no bar graphs!
Went to "User Control Panel","Board Preferences", changed "My Board Style" to "Prosilver" and now I have nicely aligned selection boxes on their own lines following the text. No bar graphs though.
Not decided which way to go yet, maybe one of the first two, now they make sense! ;)
Although the last one may apply. I have a horrible feeling mine will fail delivery because I'm on holiday!
What browser are you using and is this on a mobile device or a standard computer? I should also note that this is less about about the forum itself, and more about the community

grumpyoldgit

Tue May 15, 2012 4:50 pm

I am using Firefox. With Raspite the formatting of the bars is all over the place. It doesn't make any sense at all. With Prosilver it all snaps into place.

Return to “General discussion”