plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Compiling VLC with HW accelelation on Raspberry

Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:07 am

Hi guys, i've got people asking about the possibility of getting this into the raspbian repository but before I can do it I need answers to a couple of questions.

Firstly is it possible to build the omx plugin and use it with an existing build of the same version of vlc? I really don't want packages in raspbian main to depend or build-depend on the raspberry pi foundation libraries. So if I can build the Pi driver from a seperate source package (even if doing so means building vlc and throwing most of it away) and have it work with the existing core vlc binaries that is how i'd preffer to go)

Secondly is this included in a stable release of vlc and if so what is the minimum version required. I gather from the comments in the blogpost that the version in raspbian wheezy (2.0.35) is too old. Is the version in raspbian jessie (2.1.2) new enough?

gkreidl

Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:17 am

2.1 is the current stable release for Linux.

The version I compiled has version number 2.2 (see http://www.raspberrypi.org/forum/viewto ... 66&t=59814 )

omx video output was started in March, 2013 with the Broadcom chip support in mind. Latest code change for broadcom was in September 2013.

You should contact Martin Storsjö from the VLC team to answer your questions, as he has done most of the work.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

jweob

Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:49 pm

Hello

I am trying to get VLC working with hardware acceleration so that I can display a video stream coming from mjpg-streamer on another pi. The mjpg-streamer javascript page runs really well when I stream to my windows laptop (12 fps) but very slow when streaming to another pi (~1 fps). I have played with different memory splits but hasn't helped.

I saw that the mjpg-streamer has a link to open with VLC and also saw that this hardware accelerated version is available. I have When I type vlc in the terminal window it opens without error messages and I can open the stream using the "Open Network Stream" command, however it is still really slow (maybe 0.2 fps). When I checked the terminal window I saw the following messages

Code: Select all

[0xf3bdb8] xcb_xv vout display error: no available XVideo adaptor
[swscaler @ 0x101c080] No accelerated colorspace conversion found from yuv420p to rgb565le.
/usr/bin/xdg-screensaver: 552: /usr/bin/xdg-screensaver: xset: not found
[0xe45880] freetype spu text error: Breaking unbreakable line
Any ideas on what could be causing the problem? Would really appreciate any help!

gkreidl

Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:18 pm

This worked for me with a version from October 2013:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... celeration

But it does not work with the current version of VLC, as others have reported. Some packages in Wheezy are too old.

If you get an older version (about 20th October) from git.videolan.org the tutorial above should work.

Edit: I could tar and compress my complete folder with that version and make it available somehow. Contact me by PM.
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download

jweob

Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:05 am

Thanks for the quick reply!

Good to know that a new compilation won't work. I downloaded the ready compiled version from Helder Araujo Carneiro's blog (http://intensecode.blogspot.sg/2013/10/ ... dware.html) which is from October last year so should be OK.

However when I think about it a bit more I forgot that I had already installed the repository version of vlc using "sudo apt-get install vlc" to try and tick off some of the dependencies. This could mean that when I go to the compiled vlc directory and type "vlc" I am running the repository version rather than the HW accelerated version. D'oh!

When I get back to my Pi tonight I will try "sudo apt-get remove vlc" before typing vlc into the console in the unzipped folder to make sure I am running the right one.

If I can't get VLC to work at a decent frame rate I will see if I can figure out omxplayer - I saw in the thread you referenced that it is more efficient (although presumably would still be slower than hardware accelerated VLC)

EDIT: PS thanks for the kind offer of the pre-compiled version - hopefully the pre-compiled version I am using from October last year will work

gkreidl

Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:45 am

No, the compiled version you downloaded is restricted in some way. That's why I compiled my own.

It is good practice to install the normal VLC from the repository first to get all the additional packages you need and then overwrite it with the newly compiled version.

It's not easy to get an older version from the VLC git, so I thought that I publish my complete folder from October. It already contains the compiled version, so "sudo make install" might work out of the box. (If not, compile it again following my tutorial step by step).

After starting VLC for the first time, follow my tutorial to configure it for RPi hardware support.

I'll put the file on a server later on, but for size reasons I'll only give the URL privately via PM.

jweob

Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:59 am

Great, thank you very much!

Return to “General discussion”