silverfox0786

Re: RasPi as universal Remote

Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:18 pm

not saying this is a bad idea but in todays day and age well atleast with all my home devices

i have the logitech harmony remote

and for where i dont want to use it as it does everything anyway

all my home theatre equiptment inc TV blueray amp everything i have is network enabled and an app for controlling it via the home network is available

but its a nice thought but i dont think it would be practicle to use it as a uni remote

bjdraw

Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:30 pm

While the Harmony is the best programmable remote made, it is still garbage. It has no way to know the state of any of the devices so it instead presents the user with "Harmony Help Hell" any time things get out of sync. So even if there was a way to overcome the Harmony's inability of the user to enter discrete IR codes or the fact that the power button the Harmony can't be programmed (it will only work as an "off" command, nothing else) it will still only ever be a one-way device.

Sorry, but to come in this thread and suggest people get a Harmony instead of turn their Pi into a universal remote is not helpful and not appreciated.

silverfox0786

Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:05 pm

i was giving a practicle opinion every one is entitled to that

the points you advise of are true and i dont see how the pi could know the state of a device where netowrk conectivity would be required to know the state as you may be suggesting for the pi

where then exsicting devices remain and are much cheaper and those are apps for mobile devices which now are available for almost any mobile device out there and are mostly free if not max 99p each

a pi is £30 plus the cost of components etc

i'm all for pi development and enjoy new things but just gave a practicle opinion the people who want to do ti wont care and just go ahead and do it anyway

bjdraw

Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:25 pm

bjdraw wrote:Thanks to jaycuse I've confirmed this is a problem with Raspbian “wheezy” and not with the Pi. Using arch-linux and the exact same lircd.conf I'm able to send via my USB-UIRT running lircd without a daemon (so not using the init script to start it).
Turns out it was the remote config and not the linux distro. I booted into arch-linux and tried to learn my remote commands and emit them. Ended up with the same error as in raspbian.

alexbain

Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:40 pm

I've been building a universal remote powered by my RaspberryPi over the past few months. I've tried to document every step I've taken in blog posts so anyone could also create a RaspberryPi powered universal remote.

Here are three blog posts I've written that go from unboxing a RaspberryPi to having a web controlled universal remote powered by LIRC and NodeJS:

http://alexba.in/blog/2013/01/04/raspbe ... uickstart/
http://alexba.in/blog/2013/01/06/settin ... spberrypi/
http://alexba.in/blog/2013/02/23/contro ... m-the-web/

Hopefully this helps someone out there attempting the same project!

bjdraw

Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:13 pm

That is really cool, thanks for sharing. I'm now really looking forward to the post where you share your open hardware schematic and PCB board. That way I can stop trying to get this off the shelf hardware to work.

Redrobes

Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:17 pm

I am struggling to understand what is the difficulty with this kind of thing. Its very easy to get the RPi to generate a signal on a GPIO pin. Its fast enough to be able to generate 38KHz without having to resort to using the audio jack (which is well dodgy if you ask me). I have shown and uploaded code to do the 38KHz IR pulse on another thread. So if you hook up a photo diode or one of those 38KHz IR modules onto a GPIO pin and read in a seconds worth of IR and record a remote pattern and then play it back at the same rate then why wouldn't that control your apparatus ? Thats a bit of a memory hog I admit but if you wanted to, you could analyze the pulse train and work out the pulse pattern and timings and store it in a more compressed format.

Seems to me that if your only going to transmit about 5ft or so and have the Pi near to the device under control and use a web interface to access it then all you need is one resistor, one IR LED and one 38KHz module.

IR emitter. You would need a series 100 Ohm resistor on the GPIO pin to give it about 20mA drive. If you wanted to go higher than this then you would need an extra power transistor since the GPIO pin has a limited current drive capability.
IR Receiver Module

bjdraw

Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:22 pm

Redrobes,

I think the difficulty is if you try to use off the shelf hardware. Building your own using components like you linked to might be the way to go. Up until this point I've just been trying to use off the shelf USB transceivers.

alexbain

Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:17 am

bjdraw wrote:That is really cool, thanks for sharing. I'm now really looking forward to the post where you share your open hardware schematic and PCB board. That way I can stop trying to get this off the shelf hardware to work.
You're welcome.

I just wrote a new post about the schematic of the latest circuit I'm using for my universal remote project. I'm now able to control all my devices from across the room, as long as the IR LEDs are pointed towards my IR devices. I include where to buy the parts and how to wire them up:

http://alexba.in/blog/2013/03/09/raspbe ... -for-lirc/

alon24

Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:25 am

Were you able to connect this to the OpenRemote? is that possible.
I know its possible to run OpenRemote controller on an RPI, but I want also to control my devices from my usbuirt.

http://www.openremote.org/display/proje ... spberry+Pi

http://www.openremote.org/display/docs/ ... aspberryPi

jaycuse wrote:
bredman wrote:djbonias said:

What do you think about it : http://www.usbuirt.com/

you can transmit and receive signals, i want to use it for some home automation but need drivers

I would be worried about this text

"Driver Support for Win98, WinME, Win2K, and WinXP"

Some Linux projects are mentioned, MythTV and LinuxMCE for example. But Linux seems to be low on his list of priorities. This is a one-man operation, so he is unlikely to support ARM as well as x86. Also because it is commercial, there is no mention that he is willing to give you the source code for the drivers.

The USB-UIRT works with the uirt2_raw drivers. I was able to get mine to work on the Arch Linux ARM distribution.

I used https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LIRC as a bit of a guide. I also used https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lirc_USB-UIRT but some of it is old. For example after installing lirc I didn't have the /etc/lirc/hardware.conf file. Creating it didn't work and eventually I found that the config file I was looking for was /etc/conf.d/lircd.conf. So I modified that file to use the proper device (for me it was ttyUSB0) and driver (uirt2_raw). I was lucky enough to find one of my remotes and load it in /etc/lirc/lircd.conf and successfully test it with irw.
From what I can tell it will work on wheezy with a bit of playing around and getting lirc configured correctly.

Oh and one thing you want to make sure you have installed before you go this route: initscripts
I initially didn't have it installed and lircd would throw me errors when I would try to start it. I would have thought pacman would have installed it as a dependency, but I guess it had other plans.

Z80 Refugee

Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:06 pm

Hi guys, I have just joined this forum specifically to reply to this topic (I realise it is a bit stale).

I have been thinking of joining the RPi revolution, and as it happens I had an idea about using one as a universal remote... hence Google brought me here.

I shall be reading up all the stuff already kindly provided, but for the time being here is my aim:

The One-For-All URC8800 sits on the home network and provides "blaster" IR output in response to commands from a smartphone/tablet app. It is however limited by only using commands in the OFA library (no learning function), and by only working with their app.

Take an RPi and provide it with IR blaster capability, and IR input. Connect it to the home network. Give it a web server which presents a series of customisable web page virtual remotes, each configurable to respond to clicks in a browser by outputting one or a series of IR commands.

Have an oscilloscope function that displays the grabs from existing remotes, so that they can be characterised and turned into a parameter set rather than just a digital sample. Store these samples and/or parametrics to an open on-line database for others to use.

The difficult part (to me, anyway) is how to make a web page which can be used to drag and drop virtual buttons into a custom layout, assign functions, and save it as a virtual remote.

So, the hardware is easy, it's all down to software (not something I know a lot about).
Military and Automotive Electronics Design Engineer (retired)

For the best service: make your thread title properly descriptive, and put all relevant details in the first post (including links - don't make us search)!

jaycuse

Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:01 pm

Z80 Refugee wrote: The difficult part (to me, anyway) is how to make a web page which can be used to drag and drop virtual buttons into a custom layout, assign functions, and save it as a virtual remote.
For drag and drop UI, I would use jQuery UI, it's got an easy API for creating drag and drop interfaces. I've used it before for other projects and it's not that hard.

https://jqueryui.com/draggable/

It does require basic HTML, CSS and JavaScript knowledge though.

Return to “General discussion”