scarabcoder

Is the RPi Logo Copyrighted?

Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:32 pm

I am creating an eBook on Raspberry Pi, and I was just wondering if there is any copyright reason that says I can't include the Raspberry Pi logo? Here is my book cover: Image

Oakham

Re: Is the RPi Logo Copyrighted?

Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:40 pm

Searching is easy, most questions have been asked before !

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:14 pm

You don't need to worry about copyright, only trademark. I would suggest you email someone from the foundation, send them the book and ask if they'd give permission to use the logo. I doubt it will be granted in this case though.

scarabcoder

Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:24 pm

When I'm done with the book, I'm gonna send a copy to the Raspberry Pi people, and ask if I can put the book on Amazon.

evil

Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:45 pm

What did they say? Is your eBook available?

scarabcoder

Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:26 pm

No, they said that the logo was copyrighted. But they did give me some images of the actual Raspberry Pi I could use. Here they are in a zip file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/m2rtcisr1myjybm/pics.zip
Also, I did get my eBook published. My brother made a cover for me, from Minecraft Pi. http://www.amazon.com/Minecraft-Pi-Gett ... 588&sr=1-1

evil

Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:34 pm

So only the logo was a problem, using a picture or the name Raspberry Pi is ok?

I have written a book too, but I forgot about the trademark Raspberry Pi which I used in in the title.
All pictures where selfmade or cc.

scarabcoder

Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:41 pm

Yeah, I'm almost certain. Now that I think about it, I didn't use the name in my title. I used it in the book, though. Shoot them an email, maybe.

MattHawkinsUK

Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:23 am

If you take your own photos or get permission you can use whatever photos you like. If you mention "Raspberry Pi" always state somewhere that it is the registered trademark of the foundation. The exact wording is mentioned in the trademarks rules section of the main site. Acknowledging the trademark in public helps the foundation maintain its claim on the words and prevents someone trying to steal it later.

The foundation wants resources and products out there so they will help where they can.

For the logo you need permission. I'm not a lawyer so seek as much advice as possible.

Good luck. I'm always impressed by people who manage to complete a book and get it out there. Self publishing is the future. Traditional fat cat publishers are as pointless these days as fat cat music execs.
My Raspberry Pi blog and home of the BerryClip Add-on board : http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/
Follow me on Google+, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter (@RPiSpy)

jamesh

Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:04 am

As above, obey the trademark rules as noted on the website. If you do that then you are OK, if you don't and contravene in some way you will be approached to fix the problem. This is a necessary evil, down to the trademark rules, not the Foundations.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

rmwebs

Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:38 am

And don't forget - if in doubt, just ask directly. It's best to get a direct answer from an employee of the foundation so that you're 100% sure you're not in violation. Don't just assume everything is ok when an email takes seconds :)

scarabcoder

Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:20 pm

I asked Liz about it years ago... How come people are replying now? This is an extremely old thread.

evil

Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:12 pm

@scarabcoder
The topic is old but still important for me. And you answered very fast to my question.
Another good thing is, that you promoted your ebook ( I bought it, and I think its good, I'm not interessted in Minecraft but I'm interessted in programming)

@rmwebs Yes, I ask Liz do be 100% sure all is ok. But writing english emails is not done in a second for me.

@jamesh, MattHawkinsUK
I look over http://www.raspberrypi.org/trademark-rules/ und included "Raspberry Pi is a trademark of the Raspberry Pi Foundation".

@ MattHawkinsUK
Self publishing is so cool, it was easy and very fast to get the book (I already had the content).And now I'm able to update the book so easly. Adding trademark phrase, correcting links or misspelling all can be done at every time.

Return to “General discussion”