idontknow

Re: An idea to get kids interested in buying a unit if their school does not use them.

Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:38 am

Being a freshman in a high-school that I doubt many students other than me would buy a raspberry pi, I would like to suggest something to include with one of the versions (A or B). It would be less intimidating to some kids in my grade if it came preloaded with a game. I don't know much about these kinds of things so I'm not sure if this is actually a good idea, but it would be really awesome if it came with one of the ELITE games! I don't know if David Braben is still involved but that would maybe make it an appropriate game choice. Also don't make any important decisions based on this it just would be a nice side feature.

Chris

Re: An idea to get kids interested in buying a unit if their school does not use them.

Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:56 am

Closest thing it will run close to an Elite game is Quake 3, but alot of members have expressed that they intend on making Mini Game Consoles using the R-Pi's running Emulators for such as GameBoy, NES, SNES and SEGA. Basically running retro games and some modern Niche games.

You wont ever see Crysis on one of these bad boys.

bnolsen

Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:17 pm

Could someone try to coax a big name studio to release something on the rpi, to help with the "charity" effort here? That could help a lot.

Perhaps also maybe work with the humble bumble folks to also release on the 'pi' as well (since those games are already x-platform).

Lob0426

Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:21 pm

Not a bad idea.
But remember that it is intended for use on a TV. Not a monitor. As an example, I have and LCD TV that has a 25ms response time. The old CRT style TV have excellent respons times. For shooter style games you need somewhere 5ms or less to be successful. Still there are many games that would work very well on The RasPI/TV combination. And it looks like it will play some pretty powerfull shooters in combination with a monitor.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:40 pm

One thing the foundation is planning on is running competitions (probably monthly) for the best programming project. (Kids only.) We will be offering bribes prizes for the best each month to encourage kids to get programming, and we're hoping that those bribes prizes will be pretty hefty - a sum of money that would make a real difference to a kid.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Marcus

Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:55 pm

Quote from liz on August 30, 2011, 21:40
One thing the foundation is planning on is running competitions (probably monthly) for the best programming project. (Kids only.) We will be offering bribes prizes for the best each month to encourage kids to get programming, and we're hoping that those bribes prizes will be pretty hefty - a sum of money that would make a real difference to a kid.
And what age is too old to be considered a kid? ;-)

liz

Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:56 pm

We've not decided yet - we may have a few different categories for different age groups. In any case, the cut-off age will probably be 18.

MDC

Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:57 pm

What happens if you are a kid at heart

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:34 pm

Quote from liz on August 30, 2011, 21:56
We've not decided yet - we may have a few different categories for different age groups. In any case, the cut-off age will probably be 18.

that's not fair to those in their second (or third) childhood.

what base are you using?
i'm 18 in base 37 will that count?

hajj_3

Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:51 pm

pre-installing quake 3 (violent game) wouldn't make schools happy. Elite and a folder with the sourcecode would be good though.

idontknow

Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:53 pm

The competitions with bribes prizes sound like a really good idea and I would definitely compete. I can't wait for these to be released! Thanks everyone for responding so quickly.

Arreladd

Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:08 pm

Who needs prizes when bragging rights last longer?

Thorn

Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:34 pm

On the subject of Elite, I wonder if Mr Braben is aware of the Pioneer project? http://pioneerspacesim.net/ As far as I know it should run, as it uses OpenGL ES.

BenJ

Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:33 pm

Games like Teeworlds, BZFlag and other simple games should work fine.

tnelsond

Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:37 pm

Cool graphical games are great, but why not some text based games? Those are pretty fun too.

liz

Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:41 pm

L: A Mathemagical Adventure! (I was also playing the Fighting Fantasy books well into my 20s, with a bit of paper and a couple of dice. I've got a few of them on my iPhone. I know, I know…)

reggie

Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:08 pm

I wonder if you should try and get some tailored kind of web broswer experience going on them, and pack it full of links that will aid kids in learning, whether it's their homework, how to research, google-fu, whatever you think would empower them to teach themselves. I appreciate that they're not meant as a desktop replacement and that's not what I'm talking about doing.

Have you thought of doing a 'buy one give one' scheme? It could be a nice way for people who want to help out to give to deserving causes.

abishur

Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:55 pm

Quote from reggie on August 31, 2011, 18:08
Have you thought of doing a 'buy one give one' scheme? It could be a nice way for people who want to help out to give to deserving causes.

Uh oh Reggie, bad things happen to people who ask questions found on the FAQs page... okay so they don't really but it would be pretty cool if we could get the steam of a Raspberry to wind up in your bed a la the Godfather. :P
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Lakes

Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:48 pm

He wakes up to a huge Raspberry on the pillow next to him? :D

abishur

Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:01 pm

Just the stem (head) of a Raspberry :D :D
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

liz

Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:15 pm

And GALLONS of juice. :)

Chris

Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:20 pm

I dont know if this has already been a suggestion, but maybe have one of the programming competitions as " desing and produce a X themed game".

I think the most suitable would be a ripoff of Simpsons Pie Man, You go on a 2d platformer and throw R-Pi's at the Evil of the Tech World. Then eventually have a Boss battle against Windows 7 Guy,

reggie

Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:38 pm

If I find a warm fruit in my bed I'll know it's one of you guys.

My bad, I really have read the FAQs, although no one said I should remember what I read so I feel slightly vindicated. ;)

idontknow

Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:40 pm

Someone said something about text adventure and one of those would be AWESOME.He wakes up to a huge Raspberry on the pillow next to him XD

Return to “General discussion”