W. H. Heydt

Re: NOOBS v1.3 Beta testers feedback

Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:19 pm

As regards my post about trouble unzipping the large download. I re-downloaded today and it upzipped just fine.

AndrewdAzotus

Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:46 pm

I've downloaded but not played with (any version of) NOOBS yet, but reading all these comments, I wondered:

When installing the various OS installations to their partitions, would it be possible to have an extra partition for the user's home directory accessible by all installed OSs?

I'm another one planning to spend a weekend exploring NOOBS...

W. H. Heydt

Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:07 pm

AndrewdAzotus wrote:I've downloaded but not played with (any version of) NOOBS yet, but reading all these comments, I wondered:

When installing the various OS installations to their partitions, would it be possible to have an extra partition for the user's home directory accessible by all installed OSs?

I'm another one planning to spend a weekend exploring NOOBS...
That ran through my mind as well... Create a partition and have an option to mount it on /home, with the option on an OS by OS basis. I suppose it could be done by creating a fake system image that doesn't contain anything and then setting up the mount (manually) in each OS that you wanted to share access. (To follow the backward looking naming convention the RPF is fond of, call it "common". Think of it as an Easter Egg for OLD programmers.)

AndrewS

Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:12 pm

AndrewdAzotus wrote:When installing the various OS installations to their partitions, would it be possible to have an extra partition for the user's home directory accessible by all installed OSs?
Not at the moment, no. Currently each OS is entirely self-contained. I'm sure Rob wouldn't mind if you added a feature request though ;)

ric96

Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:14 am

ric96 wrote:
AndrewS wrote:
ric96 wrote:Not Working :(
tried the 20mb network only
got the "bloated pixel" screen then, BLANK!!!
no led other than power!!!
Did you remember to extract the files to the root of the card, and not to a subfolder within the card?
Some more info would probably be helpful, e.g. what model Pi, what you've got plugged into it, what kind of PSU you're using, what kind of TV/monitor you've got it plugged into, etc. etc.
Did you try pressing the 1 2 3 or 4 buttons on the keyboard as instructed to try the different display modes?

The purpose of beta-testing it to try and get detailed feedback ;)
1. model b rev.2
2. apple iphone 5 charger 5v 1A worked well for the past few moths shount be an issue
3. class 2 sandisk 4gb
3. hdmi
4. no keyboard
5. lan=yes
it just magically worked when i fired up the pi again!!!(this time with keyboard attached)
My apologies for shameless YouTube Plugs...
youtube.com/sahajsarup
twitter @sahajsarup
skype srics1996
e-mail: sahajsarup@gmail.com
Blog: http://www.geektillithertz.com/wordpress
Web: http://www.geektillithertz.com

rdb

Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:27 am

Can you reproduce the bug if you boot the Pi without a keyboard attached?

leol

Codec Licences

Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:47 am

Downloaded and installed Lite version. Awesome so far!
What would be great is a way to enter codec licenses in one place to be used by all the OSes.

Leo

leol

Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:24 pm

It it possible to reinstall just one OS?
Suppose you have screwed up the instance of Arch for example, it wold be nice to go back to a fresh install of that but leave all the others untouched

Leo

DeeJay

Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:18 pm

leol wrote:It it possible to reinstall just one OS?
Suppose you have screwed up the instance of Arch for example, it wold be nice to go back to a fresh install of that but leave all the others untouched

Leo
I agree with your wish. But the README makes it look otherwise.
Install: Installs the selected OSes onto your SD card. Changing this selection erases all OSes currently installed.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
How to Report Bugs Effectively: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

AndrewdAzotus

Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:27 pm

AndrewS wrote:
AndrewdAzotus wrote:When installing the various OS installations to their partitions, would it be possible to have an extra partition for the user's home directory accessible by all installed OSs?
Not at the moment, no. Currently each OS is entirely self-contained. I'm sure Rob wouldn't mind if you added a feature request though ;)
OK, so I raised an issue, but I'm not sure if that is what you meant by a feature request.

W. H. Heydt

Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:48 pm

AndrewdAzotus wrote:
AndrewS wrote:
OK, so I raised an issue, but I'm not sure if that is what you meant by a feature request.
You requested that a feature be added, so the response was that you should make the request formally so that it can be queued up with all other feature requests and worked on when those developing NOOBS (almost entirely Rob, I suspect) have both time and energy to work on new features.

I'm going to be out most of today, but if there is no indication here by tomorrow afternoon that a feature request has been made (and maybe even if there is), I'll sumbit one myself. I would phrase it as an optional OS-by-OS common area with a way to specifiy the mount point in each OS independently.

rdb

Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:49 pm

AndrewdAzotus wrote: When installing the various OS installations to their partitions, would it be possible to have an extra partition for the user's home directory accessible by all installed OSs?
This should be easily done by adding a custom OS entry that simply added a single blank FAT or EXT4 formatted partition. I will add documentation to the README tomorrow to describe the process but basically you need to follow the instructions given in https://github.com/raspberrypi/noobs/tr ... os-version using an empty tarball.

You could then select this "User Data" OS as an option when installing your choice of OSes and manually mount it as /home for each OS.

space267

Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:54 pm

Hi
First of all thank you very much for this! I was using berryboot with my 16Gb sd card but its limitations were a big headache and using it end up beeing very time consuming..

I've just tried out NOOBS 1.3 (full edition) on my raspberry pi model B rev 2 and I've selected: Arch Linux, OpenElec, Raspbian and Pidora.
When it was done installing a boot menu appeared with only ArchLinux and OpenElec :S So I hit restore and I reselected all 4 OSs and after it finished reinstalling the 4 OSs were there ;)

I have only tested OpenElec yet and it was working great :D

Thank you
Raspberry Pi Model B rev 2
PiHub feeding the Pi (5.25v & 3a)
16Gb Sandisk SDHC class 10 card

elorimer

Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:11 pm

Just tried this, installing Openelec, Raspbian and Raspbmc. Install went fine. The option to edit the config.txt file isn't active for me.

When this boots, I get the screen to select which OS to boot, but nothing appears there. Same when booting holding down the shift key. If I press esc, it boots to openelec, which otherwise seems to work fine. (except for entering licenses).

This happens with both the full download and the network boot. Version B, rev2. HDMI output. 8gb Sandisk card.

Not sure what I am doing wrong.

(the PI works fine with separate Openelec and Raspbian SD cards).

AndrewS

Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:32 am

elorimer wrote:Just tried this, installing Openelec, Raspbian and Raspbmc. Install went fine. The option to edit the config.txt file isn't active for me.
The edit config.txt option only becomes active after the OSes are installed. Before the OSes are installed the config.txt doesn't exist yet, so can't be edited ;-)
When this boots, I get the screen to select which OS to boot, but nothing appears there. Same when booting holding down the shift key. If I press esc, it boots to openelec, which otherwise seems to work fine. (except for entering licenses).
https://github.com/raspberrypi/noobs/issues/98

ric96

Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:00 am

rdb wrote:Can you reproduce the bug if you boot the Pi without a keyboard attached?
tested it without keyboard-got display :!:
My apologies for shameless YouTube Plugs...
youtube.com/sahajsarup
twitter @sahajsarup
skype srics1996
e-mail: sahajsarup@gmail.com
Blog: http://www.geektillithertz.com/wordpress
Web: http://www.geektillithertz.com

Cancelor

Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:28 am

I'm using
Gparted 0.11.0 running on
Ubuntu 12.4 to format my
8GB SDHC SanDisk
to use on my Model B RPi
and PiHub + 3A power

1. do I need to have any flags set? e.g. lba or boot

2. should I just make one large partition?

3. does it have to be FAT32?

4. when boot stops at the first 'splash of colour' screen what does it mean?

5. when boot stops with nothing on the screen but just the red power LED what does that mean?

6. when boot stops with [ 1.951129] RAMDISK: incomplete write (-28 != 262144) what does that mean?

7. can this information be added to the installation instructions? :)
Can't find the thread you want? Try googling : YourSearchHere site:raspberrypi.org

vNa5h

Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:13 pm

Is there any way to leave /boot on sd and have ,ultiple OS / partitions on USB Drive

AndrewS

Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:24 pm

vNa5h wrote:Is there any way to leave /boot on sd and have ,ultiple OS / partitions on USB Drive
This isn't officially supported, but it's possible if you're willing to do the work yourself. Have a look at the partition_setup.sh scripts to see how each OS needs to be customised to run from different partitions, and then look at the files in /dev/mmcblk0p3 to see how NOOBS knows which partitions to boot from.
You could have each of the OSes 'root' filesystem on a USB Drive, but due to they way the multi-booting feature of the firmware works, each OSes 'boot' filesystem (the small one containing start.elf and cmdline.txt etc.) would need to remain on SD Card. :ugeek:

AndrewS

Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:30 pm

Cancelor wrote:1. do I need to have any flags set? e.g. lba or boot
Nope
2. should I just make one large partition?
Yup
3. does it have to be FAT32?
FAT32 or FAT16 (but FAT16 is limited to 4GB partitions)

I'm afraid I'm unsure of the answers of the rest of your questions, but have you looked at http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting ?

rdb

Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:30 pm

Cancelor wrote: 1. do I need to have any flags set? e.g. lba or boot
No.
Cancelor wrote: 2. should I just make one large partition?
Yes (although in reality the partition only needs to be large enough to allow you to copy the NOOBS files onto it.).
Cancelor wrote: 3. does it have to be FAT32?
It has to be FAT16 or FAT32.
Cancelor wrote: 4. when boot stops at the first 'splash of colour' screen what does it mean?
Has this occurred in your case?
Cancelor wrote: 5. when boot stops with nothing on the screen but just the red power LED what does that mean?
Usually that the SD card is not formatted correctly or does not contain bootcode.bin
Cancelor wrote: 6. when boot stops with [ 1.951129] RAMDISK: incomplete write (-28 != 262144) what does that mean?
Could you provide details on how this error occurred?
Cancelor wrote: 7. can this information be added to the installation instructions? :)
I'm not sure that it's necessary - most of it is already explained there.

Cancelor

Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:34 pm

Many thanks AndrewS the link to elinux.org looks very useful and I'm working through it now.

Many thanks rdb too.

re:- boot stops at splash screen
rdb wrote: Has this occurred in your case?
Yes 4,5 and 6 but not at the same time ofcourse.

I have the SD card that came with the Pi and that is working fine and the SanDisk card works fine in the laptop, however the SanDisk is the main focus of my doubt at the moment.

Lots for me to look at and try, I'll report back in a day or two.
Can't find the thread you want? Try googling : YourSearchHere site:raspberrypi.org

rdb

Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:47 am

I'm about to upload a new BETA test image.

Changes:
- Fix for boot selection screen appearing blank after language change
- Added support for disabling splashscreen
- Added support for disabling using keyboard to trigger recovery mode being entered
- Added support for forcing recovery mode being entered via the cmdline

Please see https://github.com/raspberrypi/noobs/co ... b7202b7e70 for a diff of README changes.

rdb

Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:58 pm

I've also added an experimental online-only option allowing an empty 512MB ext4 "Data Partition" to be installed alongside your choice of OSes.

This should provide the shared drive functionality that people have been requesting.

Feedback welcome.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:23 pm

rdb wrote:I've also added an experimental online-only option allowing an empty 512MB ext4 "Data Partition" to be installed alongside your choice of OSes.

This should provide the shared drive functionality that people have been requesting.

Feedback welcome.

(I have yet to do any serious testing on the 1.3 beta. I can see that I need to download the latest version to check out this feature.)

Return to “General discussion”