tawalker

Re: Invitation to order from RS

Fri May 04, 2012 9:20 am

Yes, I just received my email too I needed to wait until I got home, anyway - I had to raid the "Pi-fund" the other week, so I have to check that I've got the necessary moolah...

I'll keep an eye on this over the next day or so, and hopefully I can put my order in over the weekend. Nearly there
---
Raspberry Pi Model 3B+ (2019) ("ayeka") - CentOS
Raspberry Pi Zero W (2018) ("mass") - Raspbian
Raspberry Pi Model B (1st-gen - 2012) ("ryo-ohki") - Arch Linux ARM
---

grumpyoldgit

Fri May 04, 2012 9:20 am

The site is just getting worse and worse. Reminds me of buying Glastonbury tickets. The site just can't cope. I've gone through the process half a dozen times now but each time eventually get an error message and have to go back to the beginning.

crundy

Fri May 04, 2012 9:24 am

Grumpyoldgit said:

The site is just getting worse and worse. Reminds me of buying Glastonbury tickets. The site just can't cope. I've gone through the process half a dozen times now but each time eventually get an error message and have to go back to the beginning.

I'd recommend waiting until about 3pm. You won't lose your spot, as they've been dishing out queue codes anyway.

Haven't got mine yet, so I'm not hopeful for being able to order today.

JoeDaStudd

Fri May 04, 2012 9:26 am

mmm I'm in a bit of a dilema.
I registered with RS first thing (around 6am pi day), but also ordered with Farnell, as a backup, at about 11am (also pi day). However the Farnell order was shipped Wednesday and should arrive today.

I'd always plan on buying a second to use as a htpc (the first one was going to be used for tinkering), however I was planning on waiting for batch 3 or 4 to help ensure everyone got one.

On one hand I don't want to be stealing anyone's RasPi, on the other with serial production in full swing and the backlog being cleared quickly (by Farnell atleast) I can't see much harm in placing the order.

kenmc

Fri May 04, 2012 9:27 am

http://goatstownweather.eu.pn

mc349

Fri May 04, 2012 9:27 am

Thought people might be interested in the price (to UK).

Rasp Pi £21.60

Tax
£4.32

Standard Delivery (Despatch expected within 7 working days)
£4.95

Total
£30.87

pandapi

Fri May 04, 2012 9:31 am

JoeDaStudd said:

I registered with RS first thing (around 6am pi day), but also ordered with Farnell, as a backup, at about 11am (also pi day). However the Farnell order was shipped Wednesday and should arrive today.

I'd always plan on buying a second to use as a htpc (the first one was going to be used for tinkering), however I was planning on waiting for batch 3 or 4 to help ensure everyone got one.

On one hand I don't want to be stealing anyone's RasPi, on the other with serial production in full swing and the backlog being cleared quickly (by Farnell atleast) I can't see much harm in placing the order.

as long as you're not gonna just dump the spare one on ebay (not that the prices will stay so high now they are coming out) i'd say just go for it. Sounds like they are starting to pump these babies out now anyway.

Seen someone with a 21/05 date already have theirs shipped. All should have one fairly soon by the sound of it.

Paul Webster

ref 204x - in email - and same error on web (but did not panic because I saw that the URL was

http://raspberrypi.rsdelivers......ssful.aspx

so - checked email

grumpyoldgit

JoeDaStudd said:

Every time a person orders a Pi from RS and Farnell a kitten dies.

grumpyoldgit

Fri May 04, 2012 9:33 am

Finally got through - 2023

rgmward

Fri May 04, 2012 9:37 am

mc349 said:

Thought people might be interested in the price (to UK).

Rasp Pi £21.60

Tax
£4.32

Standard Delivery (Despatch expected within 7 working days)
£4.95

Total
£30.87

for those interested, the price is exactly the same for delivery to France  £4.95 for delivery.  paypal convert that to about €39.

a lot more reasonable than the €52 that Farnell are still quoting on my order page.

Also, when (or if) the farnell order materialises, I have a number of work colleagues who will fight over it - 1 is enough for me at the moment!

fadedknight

Fri May 04, 2012 9:38 am

Only just saw I had an email from RS - went stright through to the site and ordered no problems. Ordered a 16gb sd card from amzon though for only £2 more then the 4gb frmo RS – same brand and it's a model 6 so should be ok (I''ll shove it in my camera if its not).

Earlier problmes must have just be another self inflicted denial of service attack – the IS guys at RS must really hate RPi by now!

lennythelens

Fri May 04, 2012 9:44 am

Order 2065 and raising!

grumpyoldgit

Fri May 04, 2012 9:56 am

Dear RS,

I take back all I have said about you. Your parents are married and I think you are all really nice people.

Regards

GOG

peterbwf

Fri May 04, 2012 9:57 am

I kept getting the error page too but just got through!

It did die on the order successful page, but I received an e-mail with order confirmation: 2185.

Yippee! So excited that Pi will soon be filling my mail box! For anyone interested shipping to the US seems to be a flat UKP4.95 including accessories.

danfoshizzle

Fri May 04, 2012 10:02 am

Haha! just got my order through, confirmation number 219x was expecting to pay around 35 pounds, but am pleased it came to just under 31, now to order my memory card

Ridiculously excited lol

johnel

Fri May 04, 2012 10:08 am

I just tried to place my order - the code worked at first and got me to the product page and attempted to place my order. I then get re-directed to the initial "Authorisation Code Entry" screen and now the code no longer works and I have no idea how to check my order (I never got far enough to pay for it).

Generally, considering RS & Farnell have decades of experience the whole process is retarded.

I've sent an email to RS and I imagine at some point in the future I may even get a reply.

The sooner other distributors can ship the PI the better - lame experience so far...

Montala

Fri May 04, 2012 10:15 am

Well done to all those who received the email... and who have actually been given an order confirmation number.

Unfortunately I was not one of the lucky ones, but hopefully I will be in the next batch... whenever that is due to arrive!

Hopefully I won't have to wait another whole month.

Montala

Fri May 04, 2012 10:18 am

Grumpyoldgit said:

Finally got through - 2023

Well done... but as one of the Top Posters on this Forum I would have thought that they would at least have given you preferential treatment!

anscarlett

Fri May 04, 2012 10:19 am

Hi All,

Just received my invitation at 09:44 today. Got the greyed out box at first, but retried at 10:15 and it worked.

Order confirmation number 1969

walney

Fri May 04, 2012 10:20 am

Grumpyoldgit said:

Dear RS,

I take back all I have said about you. Your parents are married and I think you are all really nice people.

Regards

GOG

Well done! For today, at least, I shall simply know you as Oldgit!

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri May 04, 2012 10:27 am

johnel said:

Generally, considering RS & Farnell have decades of experience

They have decades of experiance as suppliers of electronic components etc, mostly from stock and when not in stock generally with all backorders able to be filled by the next shipment.

Afaict they do NOT have experience managing a major consumer product launch with hundreds of thousands of single unit orders that cannot be filled either from stock or from the next shipment.

nick.mccloud

Fri May 04, 2012 10:37 am

plugwash said:

Afaict they do NOT have experience managing a major consumer product launch with hundreds of thousands of single unit orders that cannot be filled either from stock or from the next shipment.

Looking at this thread, the problem appears to be that they have little or no experience in flogging web programmers that mess up big style. A public execution of one of them will sharpen up the rest and gas the management that think its acceptable to release a web ordering system that is so iffy.

Hopefully by the time my colleagues who registered with RS get their go it will be working properly. But for now, my Pi awaits some more stroking ...

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri May 04, 2012 10:40 am

nmcc said:

Looking at this thread, the problem appears to be that they have little or no experience in flogging web programmers that mess up big style.

Not sure about RS but from the general slowness of farnell's website (and this goes back to when the Pi was nothing but a dream) I would generally agree with that.

johnel

Fri May 04, 2012 10:41 am

plugwash said:

I guess you're right.

No doubt this kind of problem has never, ever been solved before. Maybe they can sell stuff on this "Internets" thing?

Using a fragile self-destructing "Authorisation code" is genius - I'm now locked-out from my order and no way to check the status either. The PI is soooo "special" I have to use a special code to order it - maybe I should send a DNA sample to confirm my identity?

In fact, I have a great idea - maybe keep a list of stuff electronically and cross-index it with other information....I know I shall call it a "daty-basey" and then put on the "internets" for other people to use......I know I shall call this a "websprite".

Return to “General discussion”