Morgaine

Re: Invitation to order from RS

Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:07 am

artag wrote:The STM32F4 is rather heavily subsidised. The distributors probably make about £9.96 on it.
You can't infer how much the distributor makes from the fact that a product is subsidized.

It's very common for prototyping boards to be subsidized in order to promote use of the chip. For example you'll frequently find that the 1-off price of the featured device is higher than the 1-off price of the whole prototyping board, because the manufacturer applies high-volume device pricing to unit board sales instead of unit pricing, which clearly represents a subsidy.

Indeed, we're told that this is what happened with Raspberry Pi too, namely that Broadcom granted the Foundation a SoC price corresponding to much higher volume purchases than the mere 10k boards being made. Does this tell us how much the distributors are making on the deal? No. You can't infer that figure.

It is however reasonable to assume that the distributors are not making a loss after expenses, because that kind of thing leads to CEOs getting into hot water with shareholders. They're perfectly used to low profit margins though, because that is totally normal in the electronics industry. For components, every cent counts.

Morgaine.
Intolerance is a failure of education. Education is predicated on tolerance of the uneducated.

yertiz

Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:16 pm

The good news is that RS seem to be getting ahead of their schedule. I ordered on 24 May 2012 with an order number in the 39,000 range and a 5 week lead time to delivery. On 22 June I received an email from Parcelforce telling me my pi had been despatched on that day.

The bad news is that despite the Parcelforce tracking information saying the pi has been out for delivery since 05:45 on 23 June 2012 it still has not arrived with me. Perhaps the tracking website doesn't realise it is a weekend.

Hopefully Monday will be a better day.

Yertiz

redjacek

Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:25 am

they are not really, 39500 - last order before 24th. I don't think they work during a weekend? correct me if I am wrong.

yertiz

Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:32 am

Finally arrived this morning around 10:10. Express 24 only appears to work on weekdays.

Yertiz

jishnu_oman

Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:00 am

yertiz wrote:
Finally arrived this morning around 10:10. Express 24 only appears to work on weekdays.

Yertiz
Congratulation.... you are very lucky.....like you ....I also placed an order on 24rth May... and got order no 382XX. As on today, I haven't recieved any email from RS about the delivery of RPi ? :-(

yertiz

Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:35 am

jishnu_oman wrote:
yertiz wrote:

Yertiz
Congratulation.... you are very lucky.....like you ....I also placed an order on 24rth May... and got order no 382XX. As on today, I haven't recieved any email from RS about the delivery of RPi ? :-(
Well I suppose strictly the 5 week lead time doesn't run out until Thursday so RS would be still on schedule for a few more days yet. Hopefully you will get yours soon.

Yertiz

Webalistic

Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:03 pm

I still don't get the process. I've contacted Farnell (Netherlands) at the very beginning, and registered interest twice in the week after (because I didn't get any confirmation e-mail). Up to now I never heard anything.
So I placed an order through their system. But I was called today that they (Farnell Netherlands) don't deliver to individuals, only companies.
I thought the Raspberry org. had agreements about that?
So.. how to order one?
2*Pi+PiCam+GertBoard+lapdock=joy

PaulCheffus

Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:20 pm

Webalistic wrote:I still don't get the process. I've contacted Farnell (Netherlands) at the very beginning, and registered interest twice in the week after (because I didn't get any confirmation e-mail). Up to now I never heard anything.
So I placed an order through their system. But I was called today that they (Farnell Netherlands) don't deliver to individuals, only companies.
I thought the Raspberry org. had agreements about that?
So.. how to order one?
Hi

Try RS?

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

tinus

Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:14 pm

That is weird I have ordered from Farnell without a problem and I am in the Netherlands. Delivery hasn't been made yet but my pi is supposed to ship next week.

Juonkiku

Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:24 pm

03-03-12 Registered interest in RPi via RS
25-05-12 Pre-ordered RPi via RS (Order no: 41***)
25-06-12 Received Parcelforce dispatch notice

So this should be arriving during the week :D

paulkerton

Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:26 pm

Registered by interest 23/04 which means I should've had my order email yesterday, yet I've received nothing. So two months of waiting just to order and when I do get to, three months to wait for the device.

You know, there is only so much good will this project can survive on before people start asking some serious questions of it. 5 month lead times, duplicate orders being sent despite this, and general poor communications from all involved are starting to make this product look like vapourware.

mraltair

Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:08 pm

paulkerton wrote:Registered by interest 23/04 which means I should've had my order email yesterday, yet I've received nothing. So two months of waiting just to order and when I do get to, three months to wait for the device.

You know, there is only so much good will this project can survive on before people start asking some serious questions of it. 5 month lead times, duplicate orders being sent despite this, and general poor communications from all involved are starting to make this product look like vapourware.
These problems wouldn't have occurred if the demand wasn't so high. Tens of thousands of people have received their Pis already so it's definitely not vapourware.

balrogsoft

Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:17 pm

I just received a DHL notification, my order 41xxx has been shipped, but i have a small trip today for two days, i live in Spain, how much takes dhl to send raspberry pi to Spain? any experience?

Juonkiku

Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:42 pm

paulkerton wrote:Registered by interest 23/04 which means I should've had my order email yesterday, yet I've received nothing. So two months of waiting just to order and when I do get to, three months to wait for the device.

Vapourware eh? Then explain why I've literally just received my RPi through the door along with the extra components that I had ordered along with it? [sarcasm] That really seems like vapourware... [/sarcasm]

Morgaine

Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:50 pm

Although it's clearly not vaporware because there are many thousands of people who really have received their boards, there is no doubt that the preorder process is an utter shambles, and the lead times quite ridiculous. I think people are just using the term 'vaporware' to express their extreme frustration.

This won't change until Raspberry Pi is available ex-stock from both distributors. Until then, it's pain all the way.
Intolerance is a failure of education. Education is predicated on tolerance of the uneducated.

Geezer?Geek?

Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:10 pm

The process is indeed frustrating and painfully slow. I first learned of Rpi on April 16, and immediately registered interest with both suppliers. RS has, finally, last friday allowed an order to be placed. Nothing heard from the other at all, zero, nada, nought....

Meanwhile the estimated delivery date is 11 weeks out?

Such interest is unprecedented, hence fullfillment is slow. Hopefully many will not completely loose interest once the Rpi is in hand. :ugeek:

Midnight Caller

Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:08 am

Midnight Caller wrote:I Got an invitation to order with RS Components, I placed my order today 27/5/2010 My ordre # 42***
RS Components Delivery (Despatch expected within 5 week(s) for UK

I Ordered
1) Raspberry Pi Type B
1) 4GB SD Card with Raspberry Pi OS installed
2) 4GB SD Card
1) Micro USB UK power supply for Raspberry Pi
1) 3.5mm Stereo to twin RCA plug cable for Raspberry Pi

Order total: £66.45

This is my birthday present to me, but It is going to be a late one it is my 50th birthday today.

From RS Components:
Once your order has been despatched we will send you further details on shipment and courier, to help track your delivery.
Update

My Raspberry Pi arrived from: Rs Components Ltd. on 26/06/2012 at 09:30 shipped By Parcel Force, I got a email from Parcel Force Dated 25/06/2012 but I Just got to Read it this morning 27/06/2012.

I haven't had time to play with the Raspberry Pi yet!

Items in the parcel:
Items:____________________________________Rs Components Bar Code:
1) Raspberry Pi ----------------------------------------------------------- N/A
1) 4GB SD Card with Raspberry Pi OS installed --------------- 2000117882
2) 4GB SD Card ---------------------------------------------------------- 2000114141
1) Micro USB UK power supply for Raspberry Pi --------------- 7263069
1) 3.5mm Stereo to twin RCA plug cable for Raspberry Pi --- N/A

--- End of list ---

Still to buy Keyboard and Mouse, I will get them later this morning.
Please remember that I am Dyslexic wen replying

Inky-

Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:52 pm

Ordered on 28th May ( # 473**) with an estimated dispatch of 4 weeks. Just got an email about 5 mins ago "You have a shipment being sent from RS COMPONENTS LTD that is due to be despatched on 27/06/2012 using our Express 24 service." :D

PaulCheffus

Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:06 pm

Hi

Same here ordered 28 May order 471xx and received the despatch email earlier this evening.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Malstrond

Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:45 pm

2012-03-01 Registerd interest at RS
2012-05-25 Invited and ordered, got ordner confirmation (#46xxx), expected despatch 4w, no further communication
2012-06-28 Package arrived

jaeger

Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:06 pm

I registered interest in May, 23rd and it was expected to receive the invitation yesterday... However I didn't received nothing. Meanwhile I'll keep on going with my weather project I'm planning to use the RPi with. Of course I'll tell everyone here what I'm planning once my unit arrives ;)

Inky-

Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:01 pm

Inky- wrote:Ordered on 28th May ( # 473**) with an estimated dispatch of 4 weeks. Just got an email about 5 mins ago "You have a shipment being sent from RS COMPONENTS LTD that is due to be despatched on 27/06/2012 using our Express 24 service." :D
My Pi arrived this afternoon & my neighbour handed in the package about half an hour after I got home from work. :)

jaeger

Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:11 pm

jaeger wrote:I registered interest in May, 23rd and it was expected to receive the invitation yesterday... However I didn't received nothing. Meanwhile I'll keep on going with my weather project I'm planning to use the RPi with. Of course I'll tell everyone here what I'm planning once my unit arrives ;)
I received the invitation to order today, Order number in the 1243XX range. Dang, it'll take a hella lot of time :D

Webalistic

Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:15 pm

PaulCheffus wrote:Hi

Try RS?

Cheers

Paul
Well... that was a good tip!...
so after 2x registering interest, 1x direct contact, and 1 refused order because I'm not a business I've had no communication from Farnell... (except a phone call to refuse the order)

I register interest at RS last week after your suggestion and I have an invitation to order one earlier tonight. I think the org. needs to have a chat with Farnell to explain the whole point again.

Cheers
M.
2*Pi+PiCam+GertBoard+lapdock=joy

Newton

Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:04 pm

This morning I received my shipping notice and tracking id.

Order nr is 620xx.

Parcel left DHL facility in East Midlands - UK, will arrive soon in South Africa, eager to see how long it will take to get to its final destination.

I'm very busy to get the last preparations done and then run my Raspi for the first time.

Return to “General discussion”