Ed Raket

Re: Games!

Thu May 03, 2012 10:15 pm

A huge appetizer for a small and cheap computer with a nice GPU, as has been proved in the past (Amiga, MX spectrum, Atari) are games! (yes, they where relatively cheap once...) So i hope there will be some (private) developpers who take notis of the uge potential of the Pi, espessialy to attract young people! No... my youngness is faiding but my memorys of hardware with sole, and mainboards and chips with names and filosify's makes my face smile. There must be a ton of games, that can be ported as freeware these days. and if the Pi can run Quake 3...

Off course there are numerous other applications and experiments to develop, but the funfactor must be at the heart of the matter!

p.s.

can we get a "blizzard 4060" exellerator on the "3po" connector please )

Now please let me order, im loosing it bigtime... ;P

SN

Thu May 03, 2012 11:13 pm

You obviously spent far too much time playing games than going to English lessons as your spelling is absolutely appalling! (joke )
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

obarthelemy

Thu May 03, 2012 11:20 pm

Let's see you write in dutch...

Ed Raket

Fri May 04, 2012 6:25 am

SN said:

You obviously spent far too much time playing games than going to English lessons as your spelling is absolutely appalling! (joke )

I am aware of this feature of mine , maybe it could compile in to 'a "correct this spelling" game?

cheery

Fri May 04, 2012 7:05 am

It might make sense to develop couple games unique to RPi. At least the distribution would be easy as you could store the game on a bootable SD-card and bundle the whole thing with it's hardware.

Though I'd like some more portability here. You'd need to define some interfaces for the games, such that they could be ran on future raspberry pi computers and archived on hard disks. This wouldn't make them less bootable because you could bundle a kernel which implements the interfaces, on the /boot partition.

Ed Raket

Fri May 04, 2012 8:56 am

cheery said:

It might make sense to develop couple games unique to RPi. At least the distribution would be easy as you could store the game on a bootable SD-card and bundle the whole thing with it's hardware.

Though I'd like some more portability here. You'd need to define some interfaces for the games, such that they could be ran on future raspberry pi computers and archived on hard disks. This wouldn't make them less bootable because you could bundle a kernel which implements the interfaces, on the /boot partition.

I think your absolutely right, with the Pi you can shuffle "pre-configured game specific" SD cards. Sort of "game cartridge" idea (snes/megadrive/etc.) only, way cheaper ) So you pop in your deathmatch game, and your lanparty is on! or you can continue your "world of Picraft" game by swopping the SD

p.s.

will some games require a memory expansion on the GPIO connector? (hehehehe)

Sounds like fun allready!

Return to “General discussion”