jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: What is this ?

Fri May 04, 2012 7:24 pm

ceteras said:

JamesH said:

[...] Note that the connectors to these displays are often different, so you would need some sort of PCB to convert to the correct cable format as well. It's not just a software problem.

That's true, but it's a lot easier to solve the physical access part (connectors, adapters) than the software part (impossible without help from Broadcom).

Perhaps there would be some business for some in this (making all sort of kits for sale), not a bad thing at all.

It's all about having options, and a proper software support from the maker of the soc is make or break.

Thank you for the answers!

Actually what you need is help from the people working for the company that makes the SoC. And there are lots of those who are willing to help out. Gert is very prolific at the moment, and we have plenty of volunteers to help out with driver software.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Tass

Fri May 04, 2012 10:23 pm

mole125 said:

JamesH said:

I'd just like to say that during my career at Broadcom I have not been forced to kill any puppies at all. I came in to this job with my eyes open.

You mean they ask for volunteers to kill the puppies just as appraisals are due?

They take a slightly different approach at my company - a much more subtle one.  Anyone can take out a puppy whenever they want, and no one would ever suggest that it's expected of you, but there's a definite pattern to who and when people are promoted within the company.  Regardless of how they do it, the results are always the same - the puppy always draws the short straw!!

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri May 04, 2012 10:31 pm

I hope puppy linux will be unaffected by this .

Return to “General discussion”