Galok

Re: Why is it so much more expensive in the UK than the US?

Thu May 03, 2012 4:26 pm

If it is 25 dollars, then with UK pound exchange rate, it should cost Brits around 14 pounds.

It's manufactured in the UK right? Or is it manufactured in the US?

Why do Brits have to pay more?

It stinks of rip-off Britain.

ArborealSeer

Thu May 03, 2012 4:29 pm

1) the model a will be $25 dollars, however the model b is the one thats being shipped right now which costs a bit more as it has the rj45 connector and the two usb ports.

2) its being manufactured in china as the uk would have cost more.

3) brits dont pay more. quite a while ago on the blog there was a price breakdown for every country the pi is available in, showing where the money went as far as shipping and local sales taxes go.

any more questions?
Pi Status > Farnell, Arrived 24/5- RS, Arrived 1/6

pandapi

Thu May 03, 2012 4:30 pm

Its more like $40 all in for the model B in the US and £29 for the UK.

Sounds pretty much about right to me considering the VAT rates for each

rmm200

Thu May 03, 2012 4:31 pm

Information is widely available.

The units are manufactured in China.

The price American is $35.00 plus $5.00 shipping, not $25.00.

It is not rip-off Britain.

Galok

Thu May 03, 2012 4:35 pm

So that line of text at the top of this page is a lie or what?

Clearly it's not accurate if you believe the replies.

pandapi

Thu May 03, 2012 4:40 pm

read the first reply in THIS very thread

nick.mccloud

Thu May 03, 2012 4:43 pm

Galok said:

If it is 25 dollars, then with UK pound exchange rate, it should cost Brits around 14 pounds.

Right now, the interweb is quoting $25 as £15.43.

You have quoted the price for the model A which is not yet available & therefore the distributors are not quoting any prices for them.

The model B is $35 which is £21.60. Farnell just delivered mine to my front door for £29.46. That's a Pi including delivery for £24.55 and VAT of £4.91. So I paid £2.95 for carriage and packing.

It's manufactured in the UK right? Or is it manufactured in the US?

China

Why do Brits have to pay more?

It stinks of rip-off Britain.

I think I may smell troll - please don't be a troll, the troll allocation for this week is already used up.

daveg

Thu May 03, 2012 4:44 pm

No,$25 is for the MODEL A not the MODEL B

Demand is greater for the B so they have concentrated on producing B"s
When the A"s are produced they will be $25

rmm200

Thu May 03, 2012 4:45 pm

My Troll sensors are starting to get activated...

If you want the $25 unit, wait until the Model A is available. That will be the price (Plus shipping, tax, etc). Later this year. UK price will be proportional.

I have never seen a lie on this forum from any of the responsible parties.

markb

Thu May 03, 2012 4:47 pm

Stop worrying, the price is the price whether in US $ or pounds.

Of course the SW is priced in the usual rip-off manner where $1 = £1.

nick.mccloud

Thu May 03, 2012 4:51 pm

I am somewhat concerned that the foundation hasn't factored in the cost of my broadband connection that I used to download the supposedly free operating system that I was required to acquire before my Pi would work.

Of the MacBook Pro with memory & hard drive upgrade that I used to image the aforementioned OS on to an SD card - of which my camera is now one short.

And how am I mean't to charge my iPad whilst I am using it's PSU. Or type on my Windows machine whilst I am using it's keyboard.

Hey, these £30 computers are a real rip off aren't they!

pandapi

Thu May 03, 2012 4:53 pm

nmcc said:

I am somewhat concerned that the foundation hasn't factored in the cost of my broadband connection that I used to download the supposedly free operating system that I was required to acquire before my Pi would work.

Of the MacBook Pro with memory & hard drive upgrade that I used to image the aforementioned OS on to an SD card - of which my camera is now one short.

And how am I mean't to charge my iPad whilst I am using it's PSU. Or type on my Windows machine whilst I am using it's keyboard.

Hey, these £30 computers are a real rip off aren't they!

LOL. You were ripped off. Sounds like yours cost you about £2k!

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu May 03, 2012 4:59 pm

Worth adding the fact (well known) that it is priced in $ because that the currency used to purchase the parts. It's makes the conversion to any other currency much easier (only done once, at point of sale). Even though the Foundation is a UK operation.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Galok

Thu May 03, 2012 5:07 pm

But I can't buy a 25 dollar (pound equivalent) product in Britain.

Are you suggesting that us Brits will be able to do so?

Will Brits be able to buy a 14 pound (plus taxes) Raspberry Pi when 'model a' is shipped?

The first reply does not actually say that 'model a' will ever be available. Perhaps there is a page on the Internet that does give this information, perhaps it once was available! Did it cost 14 pounds. Lets all go and see.

The Youtube video that these pages link to, show two people in America advertising a 25 dollar RPi, which means 'model a' must have shipped at some point because they appear to be selling it. They actually state on that video (which these pages link to), that it will cost 25 dollars.

If it is going to be 25 dollars then it should cost Brits 14 pounds plus taxes, in my opinion.

Why does it say dollars and not pounds at the top of this page? What are you afraid of?

You claim to want to get Brits back into programming. Not the Americans yet you advertise you product in dollars!

Something is not quite Kosher here.

I'll keep my money, stick to Android programming. I do apologise for asking tricky questions.

Galok

Thu May 03, 2012 5:12 pm

Thank you everyone.

You have answered all my questions and put me right, shown that I am somewhat misinformed.

However to accuse someone of being a 'troll' because I am concerened and ask tricky questions is a bit naff. Though I accept I must be part of the problem.

daveg

Thu May 03, 2012 5:18 pm

Galok said:

I'll keep my money, stick to Android programming. I do apologise for asking tricky questions.

Are they evil-doers as well? (You remind me of someone who this would have meaning to - if it isn't you then disregard)

If you want to keep your money so be it, enjoy the android programming.

The question is only as tricky as your trolling is making it.

MoonBuggy

Thu May 03, 2012 5:34 pm

Galok said:

However to accuse someone of being a "troll" because I am concerened and ask tricky questions is a bit naff.

Less an issue of "tricky questions", more a tone that's confrontational at best – it's the difference between "So that line of text at the top of this page is a lie or what?" and "I don''t quite understand how that reconciles with the tagline at the top of the page."

Galok said:

But I can't buy a 25 dollar (pound equivalent) product in Britain.

Are you suggesting that us Brits will be able to do so?

Will Brits be able to buy a 14 pound (plus taxes) Raspberry Pi when "model a" is shipped?

Yes, that's precisely the case.

The first reply does not actually say that "model a" will ever be available. Perhaps there is a page on the Internet that does give this information, perhaps it once was available! Did it cost 14 pounds. Lets all go and see.

The Youtube video that these pages link to, show two people in America advertising a 25 dollar RPi, which means "model a" must have shipped at some point because they appear to be selling it. They actually state on that video (which these pages link to), that it will cost 25 dollars.

If it is going to be 25 dollars then it should cost Brits 14 pounds plus taxes, in my opinion.

Why does it say dollars and not pounds at the top of this page? What are you afraid of?

You claim to want to get Brits back into programming. Not the Americans yet you advertise you product in dollars!

I"ll keep my money, stick to Android programming. I do apologise for asking tricky questions.

Short version is this: the videos contain prototypes or model B boards, but most people quote the $25 figure because it's more impressive. There haven't been any model A boards sold yet since the overwhelming demand was for the extra features of the model B, but when the A does go into production it will cost $25 (or local equivalent) plus shipping and taxes.

grumpyoldgit

Thu May 03, 2012 6:15 pm

No, I think it was because you came on here and behaved like a dick!

jamesh

Thu May 03, 2012 7:44 pm

OK, I'll try to explain why the price is quoted in Dollars and not pounds.

The device parts are all charged in dollars by the people who make them. That means, IF we quote a price in pounds, lets say £15, we are at the mercy of the $/£ exchange rate. For example, if the exchange rate dropped, we would be able to buy less components for our £15, perhaps not even enough to make the board. However, since we quote an overall price in $ we can always ensure that our target price is sufficient to build boards whatever the exchange rate does.

It also means that there is only one currency conversion needed, that at the point of sale, for whatever currency the board is purchased in.

So, given the quoted price of $25 for the Model A (which hasn't gone in to production yet, but will soon), convert that to £ at the time of purchase using the exchange rate at that time, add VAT and p&p, and that is about what you should pay.

Hope that helps.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

JohnW

Thu May 03, 2012 8:09 pm

Galok said:

However to accuse someone of being a 'troll' because I am concerened and ask tricky questions is a bit naff. Though I accept I must be part of the problem.

Of course the issue could be that you were not asking tricky questions, the answers to your questions are all readily available elsewhere on the site. You also chose to ask those questions in a particularly confrontational way.

If you join a forum, and then use your second post to accuse the forum owner of telling lies, I think you can expect a hostile reaction.

abishur

Thu May 03, 2012 8:35 pm

whelp, the OP's question was answered so let's go a head and close this thread down where it's at.  While I certainly understand the reaction of the community for having yet another thread covering the same issues, I also know that information can be difficult to find.

So OP, do try and remember to come off a little less accusational (even if such was not you intent), and long time forum members let's try and back off the troll calling.  Even when someone is really trolling, calling them such only fans the flames and makes the problem that much worse
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Return to “General discussion”