Brod

Re: I need clarification

Thu May 03, 2012 6:39 am

Ok, so since I realised that my Pi would take ages to get shipped I didn't really follow the forums as much as I did and now I have come back on and I'm completely confused.

1. What is the BEST (easiest to install, better to run, just plain good) Linux to run on the Pi?

2. If I have a Laptop with Windows 7 on it and it has an HDMI port, can I plug the Pi in and run Pi on the Laptop and THEN turn it off and go back to Windows 7 with all my stuff on it?

3. If I want to put Quake or something on the Pi, do I just download the .zip --> extract it ---> drag onto SD card ---> then play it?

I know these are stupid questions but I hope you people can help, cheers.

shirro

Thu May 03, 2012 7:04 am

1. I wouldn't say any of the Linux distros for the Pi are particularly easy at the moment if you don't have previous Linux experience. The X desktop isn't too bad but configuring and managing your system quickly gets more complicated. Debian seems to be the most mature and stable system. Arch is the most bleeding edge and Fedora is said to be the most buggy. Better things could turn up. I am sure people are thinking about it.

2. The HDMI port on your laptop is to send a signal out to a monitor or tv. The one on the Pi is to send a signal out to a monitor or tv. If you connect them together you will not get the result you intended.

3. You can download it on the Pi itself from the command line with wget or with a web browser or you can put it on the SD card with a drag and drop if you have a link to a binary package but you would most likely have to unpack it on Linux as zip is rarely used on Linux where it is more usual to find compressed tar files. When people post links to things they have compiled on the forums they usually post some installation instructions. Eventually most of this software will be probably be packaged and placed in a repository so it can be installed and updated with a command like apt-get but it is still early days and centralised software repositories haven't emerged yet.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Thu May 03, 2012 7:10 am

Brod said:

Ok, so since I realised that my Pi would take ages to get shipped I didn't really follow the forums as much as I did and now I have come back on and I'm completely confused.

1. What is the BEST (easiest to install, better to run, just plain good) Linux to run on the Pi?

2. If I have a Laptop with Windows 7 on it and it has an HDMI port, can I plug the Pi in and run Pi on the Laptop and THEN turn it off and go back to Windows 7 with all my stuff on it?

3. If I want to put Quake or something on the Pi, do I just download the .zip --> extract it ---> drag onto SD card ---> then play it?

I know these are stupid questions but I hope you people can help, cheers.

1. You have a choice of the Linuxes on the download list.  Easiest is Debian, at present Fedora Remix is problematic. Arch is for the hairy chested. And QtonPi is a specific developer environment.

2. The HDMI port on the laptop and on the Pi are OUTPUT only.  Connecting the two will produce nothing.  You can't use your laptop as an HDMI display for the Pi.

3. Dunno.I did see some instructions about but at present I haven't the time to do a search myself.  Sorry!
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

SN

Thu May 03, 2012 8:35 am

so I would recommend not using the word 'drag' anywhere because you're going to have to get out of any 'windows comfort zone' to get the best out of a raspi

As for quake(3) - there is a front page article about and threads on here showing how to get it working
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

Return to “General discussion”