semtex

Re: Is it me, or has RS gone very quiet?

Thu May 03, 2012 4:46 am

I've been receiving the weekly update emails from RS, which is good, but since last Friday we've seen Farnell busy shipping their second batch Raspberry Pis... but not a peep from RS.

I'm lucky. My RasPi shipped on Monday and should arrive next week... which is ironic because after expressing an interest (confirmed) with RS at 6:10am my Farnell order at 8:10am was plan B and that is what is being delivered!!

Has anyone received an invitation to buy from RS, or have they really gone quiet??

shirro

Thu May 03, 2012 5:10 am

I don't know if it is a cultural issue or what but some people seem to crave constant communication. I noticed the US branch of Element 14 keeps sending out random dates perhaps knowing that their customers needed constant distraction to compete with the Kardashians.

By contrast the Australian Element 14 sent an email to say they got my order, another to say there were delays, an then one to say it was on its way. Fantastic. Sometimes when there is nothing to say the best approach is not to say anything. I think 24hr news channels could probably shutdown for about 23hrs on most days and nothing of value would be lost.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu May 03, 2012 6:41 am

RS have sent me something every week or fortnight on a Thursday or Friday.

I find it disturbing that RS have shipped to registrations up to 6:01am but Farnell have shipped to orders received at 8:10am. Maybe it's because the Farnell site crashed so hard.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Thu May 03, 2012 6:46 am

I've just had a look at the frequency of my RS emails.

I got two "Thanks for registering" emails on the 3rd and 9th March.

Then I got "We're thinking of you" emails at intervals of 6-8-6-6-14-9 days.  On a 6 day schedule, we're due another one this afternoon (GMT), otherwise I don't know when!

The "We're thinking of you" emails are pretty pointless, because they're generally the same.  If the content had been a bit more thoughtful/helpful then they'd have been ok, otherwise you're left clicking on them in hope only to find generic good news that doesn't apply.  Some lucky sods have had invitations to buy - look at the ebay offers that have RS labels on the boxes, but I've not had a whisper. 

That said, I'd rather there IS an email now and then, if only to show that I've not fallen off their list!
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

Jongoleur

Thu May 03, 2012 6:59 am

shirro said:

I don't know if it is a cultural issue or what but some people seem to crave constant communication...

Constant is not really an issue, occasional but regular is more important.  Once a week is fine, once a fortnight would be ok, just so long as the communication turned up on the due date, intervals of 6-8-6-6-14-9 days just starts the recipient worrying that they've managed to lose you!

chorlton

Thu May 03, 2012 7:35 am

Jongoleur said:

I've just had a look at the frequency of my RS emails.

I got two "Thanks for registering" emails on the 3rd and 9th March.

Then I got "We're thinking of you" emails at intervals of 6-8-6-6-14-9 days.  On a 6 day schedule, we're due another one this afternoon (GMT), otherwise I don't know when!

That said, I'd rather there IS an email now and then, if only to show that I've not fallen off their list!

I got the emails on the 3rd and 9th and have had NOTHING since. I emailed to confirm that I hadn't dropped off the list somehow and while I did receive a response from an actual person, it was a very stock "You'll be notified when they're ready". I didn't feel there had been any check that my name was still on the list. The fact that I'm not receiving the weekly/fortnightly updates wasn't addressed.

I don't crave constant feedback but I'm aware that others are receiving updates, so poor service from RS so far. I can't complain as such since it's not like I'm a customer; I haven't handed over any money. But the buzz has definitely worn off so I think I can wait now for the formal release with a case.

grumpyoldgit

Thu May 03, 2012 7:51 am

You need to check your spam. They have been sending out these stock emails in their tens of thousands each week and many email providers just think they are junk mail. I am on Gmail and I now check my spam on an almost daily basis as, frustratingly, that is where they all end up.

chorlton

Thu May 03, 2012 8:13 am

Grumpyoldgit said:

You need to check your spam. They have been sending out these stock emails in their tens of thousands each week and many email providers just think they are junk mail. I am on Gmail and I now check my spam on an almost daily basis as, frustratingly, that is where they all end up.

Sorry, I should have said that I've read all the other threads on the forum about RS's emails so i'm aware of the spam issue. My spam folder is also checked almost daily. Nothing.

It'll be a nice surprise if I get an offer to buy but I'm not holding my breath.

Montala

Thu May 03, 2012 8:15 am

The last 'update' email I received from RS (I am in the UK) was dated 27th April 2012.

They have still not given me the link to post an actual order with them yet though.

Jongoleur

Thu May 03, 2012 8:17 am

Grumpyoldgit said:

Thats where my first two ended up - but you can train even gmail to understand they're not spam, so it should only be an issue the first time gmail throws a wobbler...

(However, I always check the spam folder daily too.  *looks*  Only Kikki and Jeany offering forbidden delights......    )

JoeDaStudd

Thu May 03, 2012 8:45 am

rurwin said:

RS have sent me something every week or fortnight on a Thursday or Friday.

I find it disturbing that RS have shipped to registrations up to 6:01am but Farnell have shipped to orders received at 8:10am. Maybe it"s because the Farnell site crashed so hard.

I ordered with Farnell as a backup (registered with RS at around 6am) at 11:16am on Pi day. It was flagged shipped yesterday.

I had the confirmation, from RS, I was going to be one of the 2nd shipping batch (out of the 8k from batch 1), but I''ve not had an invitation from them yet.

ArborealSeer

Thu May 03, 2012 8:58 am

last RS email i got was early evening last friday (27/4)

it said that the next 4k rs customers will be getting invited to order very soon.

the pattern appears to be that they seem to follow the farnell emails with an update of their own
Pi Status > Farnell, Arrived 24/5- RS, Arrived 1/6

GoingPostal13

Thu May 03, 2012 9:14 am

shirro said:

I think 24hr news channels could probably shutdown for about 23hrs on most days and nothing of value would be lost.

They could shutdown for 24hrs on most days and nothing of value would be lost.

TheShack

Thu May 03, 2012 9:18 am

ArborealSeer said:

last RS email i got was early evening last friday (27/4)

it said that the next 4k rs customers will be getting invited to order very soon.

the pattern appears to be that they seem to follow the farnell emails with an update of their own

I got that e-mail also but nothing since. Given that they should now have the 2nd batch of boards.....

"Our second batch of Raspberry Pi's is currently being put together, and we're expecting it in next week."

no sign of any invites to order.

Montala

Thu May 03, 2012 12:31 pm

... it's not the end of the week... yet.

It will be interesting to hear just how many of us will receive some encouraging news though!

misterb

Thu May 03, 2012 12:54 pm

Having not heard anything from RS since March 9th, my activation code came through yesterday afternoon and I placed my order, which should arrive within 7 days.  Woo hoo!

cosailer

Thu May 03, 2012 1:15 pm

Just have a question here, if I finished my order with RS on 12 Apr, and they said dispatch within 7 days, does it mean my Pi has shipped?

It's been 3 weeks, still nothing for me. I tried to call them, and they basically told me to wait.

Really need my Pi for my school project.....T_T

grumpyoldgit

Thu May 03, 2012 6:01 pm

cosailer said:

Just have a question here, if I finished my order with RS on 12 Apr, and they said dispatch within 7 days, does it mean my Pi has shipped?

It's been 3 weeks, still nothing for me. I tried to call them, and they basically told me to wait.

Really need my Pi for my school project.....T_T

When you say finished your order, what do you mean? Only people who ordered the Pi between 6:00am and 6:01am on 29th February seem to be in the first batch.

bwoodbury

Thu May 03, 2012 6:26 pm

I just received the following email from Allied Electronics (who is RS in North America)

RS Components has shipped out their first 700 Raspberry Pi's! Customers have received them and are now busy testing their capability.

The first user reviews of Raspberry Pi are being posted on DesignSpark. Raspberry Pi and Custard looks at whether the Pi lives up to the hype, and the RS series of Pi Perspectives considers the wider impact of the Raspberry Pi phenomenon. Go to DesignSpark and see the reaction the first shipment of Raspberry Pi has created.

The second batch of Raspberry Pi's is currently being put together, and is expected in next week. RS Components will be inviting the next 4,000 people in the queue to come into the Raspberry Pi store and place their order soon.

Volume production is also progressing well, and RS has secured chipset supplies to support the huge demand for Raspberry Pi. We really appreciate your patience while we fine-tune the manufacturing process. It's important that we get the quality and reliability right, as we want everyone to enjoy their device.

Within a few weeks, the batch volumes will substantially increase, allowing RS and Allied to serve Raspberry Pi's to many more people. We'll keep you informed on progress, and hope to be contacting all of you shortly with news on when you can get your Raspberry Pi.

Allied Electronics

Given that I managed to place a pre-order on March 3 and already have a confirmation number it should be interesting to see if I get invited to their RasPi Store or they process the order they already have

grumpyoldgit

Thu May 03, 2012 7:13 pm

I had that email on 27th April along with quite a few others in the UK but have heard no more since. I think it is just their new holding letter. I'm expecting the next one later today or tomorrow. I think the White Queen said something similar about jam.

Montala

Thu May 03, 2012 7:16 pm

bwoodbury said:

Given that I managed to place a pre-order on March 3 and already have a confirmation number it should be interesting to see if I get invited to their RasPi Store or they process the order they already have

If you have already received a confirmation number from them, then it looks as if you are a lot further ahead than a lot of folks in the UK who are still waiting for the opportunity to actually confirm their order.

Hopefully you will now move quickly on to the next stage, and actually be allowed to enter their secret store!

TonyHoyle

Thu May 03, 2012 7:40 pm

I've had precisely 1 email from RS, and that was just 'we hope to have them soon', a couple of weeks ago.

That's after registering at some ungodly hour of the morning on the first day.

OTOH I gave up on RS ages ago and reordered with Farnell.. who are still quoting June but at least they have an ETA.

Nothing in the spam either - I check it daily for other stuff anyway (if only to forward a new bunch to spamcop).

Jongoleur

Thu May 03, 2012 7:49 pm

bwoodbury said:

I just received the following email from Allied Electronics (who is RS in North America)...  (etc)

Thats pretty much the email RS sent out on 27th April.  If thats what they're still saying, then its pretty disappointing.  I expected better of them.

Anyone know where I can get hold of poison'd entrails?

A tiger's chauldron would be useful too....

rmm200

Thu May 03, 2012 8:19 pm

We have quite a few Politicians you would be welcome to. That should take care of the entrails at least.

Jongoleur

Thu May 03, 2012 8:28 pm

rmm200 said:

We have quite a few Politicians you would be welcome to. That should take care of the entrails at least.

Dunno - most politicians have no guts to speak of, they prefer to spill others.  Evidently a Tiger's chaudron is merely entrails too, though not poisoned....

Return to “General discussion”