Chris

Re: One R-Pi is not enough!

Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:28 am

I am delving into a world I do not know here, I know litte more about circuits then I did in the Systems lessons at school.

Would it be possible to mount one R-Pi ontop of another R-PI and wire them together to Share the load in a Master > Slave situation.

The idea of Two of the Arm Processors and 2 lots of the Ram working together in harmony would be nice. Model B's obviously.

vadsamoht

Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:19 am

I was thinking along the same lines. This would be quite good for basic cluster computing, etc., as mentioned in this other thread:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/?pa.....038;t=57.0.

A Master/Slave setup on its own would be interesting, though.

Lob0426

Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:28 pm

The RasPi opens up whole new worlds of experiment. Price is the telling factor here. Not many of us could afford to attempt this with more expensive equipment. You can buy four RasPi for the cost of one beagle board ($149). You can buy nine RasPi for the cost of a trim-slice($199 to $319). Both of those have better performance numbers, but their performance per dollar is much lower.

Also read the thread on "clustering" here on the forum
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

RobinJ

Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:18 pm

I didn't know this was called clustering :o I've been meaning to try this for a while now, but I couldn't find enough documentation on the subject :p
Rule #1: If a human tries to argue with a logical device like a computer, the device always wins.
Rule #2: A big bucket of water, window, or hammer can nullify Rule #1.

Chris

Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:22 pm

I have been reading EVERY topic on these forums. I am in no way referring to a cluster / network of computers. I am refering to directly connectedR-PI's with an OS on one R-Pi only, the Slave R-Pi would be mostly redundant except for the RAM and CPU and Possibly GPU if you could force it into a Dual Monitor arrangement.

Return to “General discussion”