rmm200

Re: What the Pi has done for me.

Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:31 pm

My Dietzgen slide rule (with the teflon slide liner) has a place of honor on my desk. Doesn't yours?

Golem

Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:46 am

clive. said:

Wouldn't it be nice – just for once – to keep a positive thread positive? This is a fantastic post, celebrating one young person's story of what the RasPi is about, and all some people can do is use it as a soap-box for their own ill-informed opinions. Ho hum.

I think there will be many more positive threads when more 17 (- +) year old get a Raspberry Pi in their hands.

@ LiamC

Have fun Liam.

It’s the first time I hear a 17 year old saying he would like to pretend to be a “Geek from the 80”s”
“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication”
- LDV

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:39 am

Well, I didn't want to date myself that much, but, yes, I used a Keuffel & Esser model 68-1100 Deci-Lon slide rule, in the standard orange-brown leather belt-hanging case and, yes, I still have it in a place of honor on my desk, along with my mechanical drawing tools in their original blue velvet-lined leather case.  Ah, the memories ... and I'm not talking about RAM, for once!
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

rmm200

Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:14 am

I will admit, next to my slide rule, is the Dietzgen instruction manual #1725 on the Vector type Log Log slide rule. Anything more complicated than 2 x 4, I have to refer to the manual. Amazing what you can forget in 40 years...

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:06 am

I am of the generation that started 'big' school learning with the slide rule, but it's was completely replaced before I left school by the calculator. I still have my rule somewhere.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

Burngate

Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:08 pm

oztrailrider

Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:27 pm

Glad to hear the Pi has opened up a new world of learning for you Liam. I look forward to seeing more posts from you and others who have had their interested sparked by the Pi.

Return to “General discussion”