RTD1

Re: Transfer speed SAMBA/ethernet/router

Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:19 am

The Pi is 10/100 Ethernet. 100 Ethernet is 12.5 MB/s. This is almost always the first bottleneck you hit.

If the Pi had gigabit E, then you'd be looking at 125 MB/s, and the bottleneck would then likely be USB. If it's USB 2 you're looking at an effective speed limit of 35 MB/s (with USB 3 you're looking at around 400 MB/s).

battletux

Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:05 am

Don't forget that the protocol overheads of samba will also slow down the transfer speeds as well.
Ideally for the Pi you will want to use a protocol with small overheads so as to get the fastest transfer speeds. I found FTP and NFS to be ok.
http://about.me/andy_mc

klricks

Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:45 am

How is the USB drive formatted?
NTFS will be quite a bit slower than a Linux format.
Also there is quite a difference in read speed vs write speed to the NAS. Did you test the same way on all systems?
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

andrum99

Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:33 am

In my experience using an NTFS filesystem with the Pi is a major source of slowness. The Pi's limited resources are not capable of running NTFS at full speed. If you use a Linux-specific filesystem you will get much better performance. If you need to be able to hook the drive up to a Windows or Mac machine directly, as well as the Pi, then you should probably use FAT32. In all cases, gparted is your friend:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install gparted
If you really want NTFS on the Pi, then to enable write support you need to install ntfs-3g.

Cheers

Andrew.

Return to “General discussion”