p1p3r

Re: 3 ich screen?

Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:35 pm

I was thinking about gutting out a Gameboy Advance SP and putting the raspberry pi inside of it. the screen is a 2.9 inch LCD screen though. anyway of making that work with the raspberry pi? or should i find a different small screen to use?

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:37 pm

It'd depend on the interface, and I'm afraid I don't know what the interface for that screen is. Anybody here cracked one open?
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Marcus

Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:23 pm

p1p3r: Do you think it would fit inside a Gameboy Advance SP?

p1p3r

Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:42 am

i think it might.

iAreNewb

Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:21 pm

I don't know what the interface is for the screen, but irregardless, you could probably find some guide online on the pinout (so you could attach to GPIOs) or a converter to VGA. As for fitting it inside an actual GBA SP, you'd probably be wasting your time. For one thing, you'd have to rip up the casing to get to the USB/Ethernet/HDMI ports available on the R-Pi itself, and modding the casing defies the purpose of using the case for convenience.

RobinJ

Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:49 pm

Quote from liz on August 27, 2011, 21:37
It'd depend on the interface, and I'm afraid I don't know what the interface for that screen is. Anybody here cracked one open?
I opened mine once (and lost the screws xD). But how do I know what interface it is? :p It's not a normal HDMI or VGA or something like that :p
Rule #1: If a human tries to argue with a logical device like a computer, the device always wins.
Rule #2: A big bucket of water, window, or hammer can nullify Rule #1.

vadsamoht

Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:24 am

I imagine that the GBA screen would not be similar to anything else, and would have a proprietary controller or similar, simply to make it harder to reverse engineer and annoy those who are inclined to attempt modding it.

That said... placing it inside a GBA SP, would be excellent. You could even mould a new face plate with holes and a bit of extra room for a keyboard.

EDIT: A quick google tells me that very few people have tried any hacks using the GBA screen, and the fact that it is fixed-res with a custom interface makes it less than preferrable to use for a PC. However, you should just be able to use another ~3in LCD for the purpose.

Return to “General discussion”