JamesHardiman

Re: Interesting News Item

Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:14 am

Here's the chairman of Google, lambasting the British Educational System because we're not training programmers, and we never followed on from the potential of the BBC micro initiative:

** Google boss raps education in UK **
Google chairman Eric Schmidt says education in Britain is limiting success in the digital media economy.
< http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14683133 >

Clearly, Eric Schmidt needs to be told about Raspi!

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:30 am

Quote from JamesHardiman on August 27, 2011, 09:14
Clearly, Eric Schmidt needs to be told about Raspi!
Please don't, I don't want any tracking on my raspi.

That's the man who has this to say about sharing private data with Google:
If you have something that you don't want anyone to know, maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:36 pm

There's a bit of buzz on Twitter about this at the moment, with lots of people mentioning Raspi in relation to Schmidt's lecture. I'd love it if we could get a foot in the door with Google; it's also great to see someone other than us complaining about the parlous state of the UK's school provision.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Chris

Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:09 pm

Why would you want your foot in the door with google though. I am a google fan but I doubt they would throw weight behind the ras-pi without some alteria motive.

Google would most likely want to just buy you out, give a couple of the boards out to tick its generosity clause then purely make profit for google. The buy one give one would not happen and the whole reason behind this would be lost.

Now if someone already in the education sector got onto the band wagon, or something like the one laptop per child, or even a open source backing company like Canoclial (sp?), projects or firms proven for being all about the Good of Technology and not JUST the revenue.

Think Gmail is free?

obarthelemy

Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:37 pm

as Schmidt was complaining about there not being enough IT training, maybe the not-so-ulterior motive could be ... IT Training ? Which, oh surprise, is R.Pi's (the foundation) goal too.
Plus the R.Pi (the computer) would probably make a good training/conditionning platform for Google Docs and Google's other SaaS, Chrome, Chrome OS, Android... Pretty much like MS is doing by giving their whole software library basically for free to schools.
Google has money, talent, software... what's not to like ?

liz

Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:10 pm

Quote from Chris on August 27, 2011, 19:09
*snip*

Think Gmail is free?

Not at all - but Google do have an active charitable arm, and we feel that a lot of their charitable goals sync nicely with ours. We're not interested in acquisition, but we are interested in partnerships which ultimately mean that we can perhaps get those WiFi chips, PoE and other features you guys want onto the board while keeping the price down.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

langlo94

Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:22 pm

Just remember Rome wasn't built using cooperation.

Lob0426

Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:15 pm

Liz: Oh No You di, int. LMAO Those things would be nice but not if the "price" (not money) is too high.

langlo94: No it was built on conscripts and slave labor. Liz: get back to quake 3 lol. (I'll probably get banned now)

I think the partnerships will come when the product is out and growing. Big Business doesn't like to waste its energy on something they believe will blow over. Prove it works and they change their minds fast. Believe me they will be looking for a profit also. I am sure Android will show up on sale for the RasPi shortly after Google jumps on board. That will not necessarily be a bad thing.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

Return to “General discussion”