mkopack

Re: Am I missing something ?

Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:27 pm

liz said:

God, the speculation! The other 8k are on their way from the factory straight to the distributors from China; because they're going straight to them I don't have a DHL tracking number for them, but I think they'll be pitching up before the middle of the week. At the same time, serial production's all set up and running with both companies.

THANK YOU!

See guys...EXACTLY what I said if you look above. Trust me... Reading comprehension, attention to detail, logic, and a little common sense goes a LONG way towards figuring out what's going on without having to be wild pie in the sky... If you pay attention to the Blog+Twitter feed, read the comments to the blog posts, and the forums here, the info IS all out there if you guys would just take the time to read, not freak out by every little thing, and think logically.

Now, CHILL! Yours will come when it comes! You won't die if you don't get it tomorrow! You've waited this long, what's another week or two (or 5 for those deeper in the queue...)

babbage

Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:55 pm

Liz, thank you for the clarification.

@mkopack: Up until the post above from Liz, it was only pure speculation on your part, albeit gleaned from plenty of time spent browsing the forums, blog and twitter feed. Sadly, I don't have enough time to be so well briefed, but a simple update like the above takes the speculation away.

babbage

Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:01 pm

Oh, replying to myself *again*

Someone might want to tell Farnell, as they make no mention in thier recently updated FAQ (http://www.element14.com/commu.....spberry-pi)...'we expect the second batch to arrive in May'

babbage

Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:50 pm

I  *really* think someone should have a word with Farnell, as in this comment (http://www.raspberrypi.org/arc.....ment-19852) from Jenny Peters, it looks like they are expecting the next batch in May, not by the middle of next week  as Liz says above.

Go on, someone cheer them up a bit

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:54 pm

I'm already talking to Jenny as a result of what she said earlier - we're getting some firm dates from them next week, we hope.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

babbage

Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:04 pm

Thanks Liz, so does that mean that your earlier post may be countermanded by your discussion with Jenny, as originally it was 'they'll be pitching up before the middle of the week' and now it sounds more like that you *may* get a date from them next week, but that now seems uncertain ?

I'm interested, as I think I was in the first 10,000 to order, but not in the smaller sub-set that have already had news of theirs, as I guess are around 8,000 other people.

liz

Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:12 pm

We're actually not sure which of us is right - we seem to have got conflicting information (this is probably because the person who has the definitive answer is on vacation at the moment). So watch this space, and I'll let you know as soon as I can.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

babbage

Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:26 pm

Thank you

ryanteck

Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:54 am

After Emailing, Phoning And Tweeting Farnell so far I have found out that it could take 2-4+ weeks for one to arrive for me when the original email said one should arrive by next week some time (Week commencing 23rd of April)

I guess its just a waiting game until then as farnell said it is impossible to tell how long it will take for me to get one as the back order list is so big (I thought a simple database query could tell this?)

It will be nice to find out more when there delivered to the UK, Most of what I have seen have been sent out to people which are developers linked in with the foundation.

mole125

Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:05 pm

While they may be able to count the number on the back order list (or lists per country?) the variable they probably don't know is what the production rates will be, in particular what the actual yield will be on the production line and what proportion of boards come out as paperweights. This may also include stoppages due to delays in getting sufficient components at the right point in time for continuous running.

Or it may just be they are scared of giving out wrong information again and missing the date they give you.

selsinork

Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:07 pm

ryanteck said:

After Emailing, Phoning And Tweeting Farnell so far I have found out that it could take 2-4+ weeks for one to arrive for me when the original email said one should arrive by next week some time (Week commencing 23rd of April)

My original estimated delivery from Farnell date was W/C 12/03/2012.  I was one of the lucky few who received theirs today, but that's still nearly 7 weeks from order and 5 weeks later than estimated.

Don't be too disappointed, it'll turn up. Hopefully sooner than later.

Phoenix RasPi

Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:29 am

selsinork said:

Don't be too disappointed, it'll turn up. Hopefully sooner than later.

If we've learned anything about this project, it's that _everything_ turns up later, not sooner.  Unless they are able to use the RasPi's now being delivered to create a time machine to go back in time and correct all of the missteps, this will continue to be the case.

Of course, the Grandfather Effect means that even the tiniest change in the past will cascade and completely change the present.  One of the possibilities is that things would be delayed even more.

"Do ya feel lucky, today, punk?  Well, do ya?"

babbage

Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:43 am

Good morning.

Liz, is it too early to expect a reply yet as to who was right regarding delivery of the next batch (AKA the missing 8,000!) ? If it is May, at least I know to stop watching the postman like a hawk for a little while longer.

Thank you.

Steve

Ray_GTI-R

Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:58 pm

Liz, and all forum moderators.

I found this thread via two forwarding links on other forum threads and I'm deeply grateful that it gives authorative information about "roughly where we are at now" and "what next".

Two humble requests

a) this thread is titled "Am I missing something?" - not exactly an obvious search entry for news. I strongly recommend the team takes 5 minutes to look at a complete re-hash of the forum. Park old threads that are going nowhere now that the beast is unleashed. Think about a new structure for the main Forum threads going forward.

b) References to other social media/networking outlets being the place to get info about production is, excuse my candour, disingenuous. All relevant, solid factual news belongs on this and only on this website.

PS:- let me share an amusing and I hope relevant story with you (apologies if you've heard it before)

One morning a man walks into town through a forest.

On the way he sees two brawny foresters with a gigantic two-handled big belly rip saw (like this http://www.antiquemystique.com.....69_jpg.jpg) sweating profusely cutting down a majestic oak tree.

"Morning" the man said. No reply came as the two foresters were noisily grunting and cursing at their task.

The man continues into town, did a bit of window shopping, stoppped at his favourite alehouse for a tipple then as dusk approached, he started back home .

When he got back to the forest the two foresters were still there. They were still furiously, sweatily, sawing away and had barely made any impact on the great tree.

He stopped, hardly able to comprehend why such able-bodied men hadn't felled the oak hours ago.

He paused for thought for a moment.

Then he shouted, politely "Perhaps you should sharpen the saw!"

To which, one of the men shouted back "We'cant stop for that, we're too f*****g busy cutting down this tree!!!"

Think on't, Forum peeps.

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:51 am

A forum is, by definition, a place (virtual, in this case) for people to gather and shoot the breeze in a fairly random, whatever-comes-to-mind manner.  This is fine for stimulating thought and conversation in a pretty open-ended stream-of-(un)consciousness way.  It is _not_ the way to hopelessly organize anything of lasting importance - that's what things like a wiki are for, where there is a well-understood structure and format that is often reviewed/curated/edited by community members and/or editors/curators.  A wiki provides an automated table of contents and reference lists generated from the content, as well as a standard way of linking terms in the content to expanded pages focused on those terms.  A wiki can be readily expanded with new information as it is developed by integrating it with still-relevant older information.

A forum and other forms of information distribution are complementary, not exclusive, as they each serve very distinct and equally-important purposes.
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:19 am

Ray_GTI-R said:

Liz, and all forum moderators.

I found this thread via two forwarding links on other forum threads and I'm deeply grateful that it gives authorative information about "roughly where we are at now" and "what next".

The thing is though - it doesn't! Nowhere does it say where the 8K batch is, or when it will arrive. It's still all 'speculation' I,m afraid.

Texy

Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:20 am

...and I still can't work out how to 'reply and quote' properly. Roll on the new forum!

T.
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

JohnW

Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:10 am

Steve said:

I  *really* think someone should have a word with Farnell, as in this comment (http://www.raspberrypi.org/arc.....ment-19852) from Jenny Peters, it looks like they are expecting the next batch in May, not by the middle of next week  as Liz says above.

Go on, someone cheer them up a bit

By the middle on next week, May will only be one week away.

Remember RS and Farnell are not just Pi shops. I would imagine that the flooding of their servers on 29th Feb may have already cost them money. I doubt they want to spend time constantly updating their website, and certainly don't want to be constantly answering individual queries about where people are in the queue.

My guess is that the remainder of the 8,000 will not get any more information until the boards actually arrive with the distributors. Those who missed out on the first batch will probaably not hear anything until the boards from the production runs start arriving.

Montala

Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:22 am

JohnW said:

My guess is that the remainder of the 8,000 will not get any more information until the boards actually arrive with the distributors. Those who missed out on the first batch will probably not hear anything until the boards from the production runs start arriving.

... and surely by now someone, somewhere has a pretty good idea when that will be.

It would just be nice to know, that's all, and I am sure, if only they would just let us know, then it would help to 'defuse' things quite a lot!

zoltan

Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:19 am

JohnW said:
By the middle on next week, May will only be one week away.

Well this statement is from last week, so the middle of next week is today.

OT: Yes, a new forum software please.

zedin

Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:11 pm

The biggest annoyance I think is lack of a centralized area for these random updates.  It seems that if you don't read every post and every comment from the front page articles you miss really important updates about what is going on.

For instance the  RS online deal about 1300 folks saying they are in the first batch but there was not enough Pi's.  That was on the 2nd page of comments in regards to a different article.

I know the team is busy but it is really hard to stay informed when you have to dig through everything to find (what I think) are fairly important updates on the status.  Even a small link to a post off the front page on these sort of updates would help so we know there is actually something new to look for.

Nighthowl

Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:13 pm

Ok, I read most of the forums at work behind a firewall that does not allow me to post but ...

I read a reply today asking people to "chill out" and wait ...

I would suggest the "Chill out and wait" is stickied and pinned and locked.

It was from one of the admins - who work fairly relentlessy - answering/mediating ... etc with all responses for an organisation that is trying to deal with all sorts of issues - and you need to understand that this is a non-profit organisation, these people don't get paid.

Relax and wait, your pi will be here when it arrives, stop the "where is it", "what's happening to my order" stuff - it doesn't help ... just wait ...

This from someone btw who doesn't post much at all, but you need to appreciate all the background stuff that is going on ...

robholfter

Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:31 pm

+1 to what Nightowl said!
Hopefully we"ll all spend much more time playing with our Pi than we did waiting for it

Nothing much wrong with the Forum that I can see. Perhaps a sticky with important updates might help the time poor keep across things, but if if my previous experience of forum admin & mod is anything to go by, it won"t stop people wanting a personlised reply to info already provided elsewhere...

Tass

Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:38 pm

Agree!  Right now there isn't any 100% concrete information that the foundation can provide.  Rather than provide inaccurate information, the foundation is first confirming exact details.

I'm sure I saw a post earlier today (can't find it now), where Liz mentioned she'd be able to post new information later tonight regarding the shipping schedule.  Note that she's spending her evening on a conference with the distributors trying to iron out these details for us – something I for one am grateful for.

EDIT: It was a tweet, not a post

Return to “General discussion”