babbage

Re: Am I missing something ?

Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:47 am

Hello, I can see that Pi's from the first batch are shipping, which is great news. However, I can't seem to find any information amount the remainder of the first batch, which I believe totals 8,000 devices ? Both the Farnell and RS comments seem to suggest that the next batch will be under their control, but I thought that 10,000 were made under the direction of the foundation. The latest release only seems to account for approx 2,000 ?

Any help guidance would be most welcome

Steve

mkopack

Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:06 pm

Eben had mentioned in the q/a portion during one of his blog posts regarding the need for the CE testing (this was near the end of March), that 2000 were on hand. The other 8000 were in the process of finishing rework (for the Ethernet jack issue) and QC testing at the factory, and were expected to be shipped out within 2-3 weeks.

Well, that was 2-3 weeks ago.

Chances are they just had those shipments sent directly to RS+Farnell rather than to Liz and Eben... Wouldn't make much sense to have them go to Liz and Eben only to have them then have to turn around and hand deliver them to the partners...

Joe Schmoe

Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:11 pm

The bottom line is: It's still going to be awhile.  Best to just ignore it for the time being - work on your golf (or tennis or bridge) game instead.

As I've posted from the outset, the real question is: When are things going to be normalized?  It seems to me that there are 3 hurdles we need to cross:

1) Getting the first 10K into the hands of private citizens and having them verify that they have the boards and that they work and that they are happy with them.

2) Getting the first batch of "mass produced" boards procured, built, and distributed into the hands of private citizens.  And having them (this second group) verify that they have the boards and that they work and that they are happy with them.

3) Getting regular mass production working - so that the thing can be normalized and the silly queueing and lottery system that we have now be eliminated.

So, it is, of course, all speculation as to what sorts of dates to attach to each of these events (hurdles), but since speculation is what we do here and what we are best at, I say "Speculate away!"

I'd be happy if we passed the third hurdle by August.  Is that too soon to expect it?
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

poing

Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:20 pm

Joe Schmoe said:

3) Getting regular mass production working - so that the thing can be normalized and the silly queueing and lottery system that we have now be eliminated.

I'd be happy if we passed the third hurdle by August.  Is that too soon to expect it?

According to Liz:

Serial production has begun, so the backlog should be cleared sooner than some of you were hoping, and we hope that this means that some time over the next week or so element14 and RS will be able to give you firmer delivery estimates than we’ve been able to generate so far.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/arc.....ves/1022 

Joe Schmoe

Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:41 pm

What does "serial production" mean?
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

abishur

Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:44 pm

It more or less means that rather than ordering a single batch of size X, they just keep getting boards continuously made such that there's always a supply about to come in rather than going "Okay we got enough to order a batch now let's wait for 2 months while the boards get assembled and go through testing"
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

mkopack

Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:44 pm

It means that they're in constant production +  ship mode... No "Batches".

As soon as enough come off the line to fill a shipping pallet (which we now know is about 2000) out the door it goes to RS or Farnell, or one of their local subsidearies to then be distributed out to us.

I'd be surprised if there isn't a pallet (or more) a day going out the door...

We should see the backlog pretty much wiped out by the end of May I'd think..

babbage

Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:46 pm

That"s the point, I would have thought that, but from what I can see Farnell and RS only make mention of 2000 units. Where are the other 8k going ?

"Chances are they just had those shipments sent directly to RS+Farnell rather than to Liz and Eben… Wouldn"t make much sense to have them go to Liz and Eben only to have them then have to turn around and hand deliver them to the partners…"

poing

Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:50 pm

Something like two weeks after Pi-Day RS said orders were still coming in at 10 per minute. That's almost 15000 a day just for RS.

mkopack

Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:02 pm

Those aren't "Orders" - those are "register for interests", and I'm sure MOSt people on here have registered more than once...

poing

Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:09 pm

...and most want more than one RPi...

Either way, there must be a huge backlog.

chatt

Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:59 pm

Steve said:

That"s the point, I would have thought that, but from what I can see Farnell and RS only make mention of 2000 units. Where are the other 8k going ?

Adding together many postings (and possibly coming to the wrong conclusions), it appears that of the 2,000 in the first "batch" re-manufactured, some (400?) went to selected developers and about 700 went to each RS and Farnell and are going out to people now.  RS has talked of another 1300 early registrations who will get one from the "second batch" (which seems to include me) which I presume are part of the remaining 8000 of the initial 10,000 made for the Foundation.  Then the continuous production organised by RS and Farnell will be starting to hit the distribution chain shortly thereafter.

babbage

Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:21 pm

Possibly I guess, but even if 1300 each are going to Farnell and RS, that still leaves 5,400 out of the original 10,000 batch ?

Can anyone from the foundation comment ?

Steve

abishur

Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:32 pm

Steve said:

Possibly I guess, but even if 1300 each are going to Farnell and RS, that still leaves 5,400 out of the original 10,000 batch ?

Can anyone from the foundation comment ?

Steve

Actually the RPF has only received 2000 of the first 10K back from being fixed.  The other 8K (not 5.4K) are still having work done to them last we were told anything about them and I somewhat expect the first of the distributors serial production to be released before the other 8K

babbage

Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:41 pm

Thank you Abishur. I do find it a little odd that a new batch of boards can be made in less time than it takes re-soldered jacks to be done though ? My soldering skills are rudimentary, but I think I could have done 8,000 by now, given the amount of time elapsed.

I seem to remember reading that the first of the serial batch will be due in May, (http://www.element14.com/commu.....spberry-pi) and you are saying that the batch of 8,000 will arrive after this...those incorrect jacks must be *very* well soldered on !

babbage

Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:50 pm

Replying to myself again, I seem to be doing that a lot today !

Judging by this post (http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/302) the original order was for 10,000 *parts kits*, not completed boards. So, 2000 were made, tested, failed jack wise, remade, FCC (etc) tested, passed, delivered.

Is it unfair or incorrect to extrapolate from this that the additional 8000 boards may not even be assembled yet, and that now the processing is handed over to Farnell, may never actually be made ?

bwoodbury

Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:53 pm

Problem with the Element 14 update is they aren't specific in their reference to the "second batch". IMO more likely to be part of the 8,000 than their own new production run

babbage

Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:57 pm

That kind of contradicts Abishur's post though.

Also, this link (http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rdm34.....i-talk.pdf) seems to indicate that not even 10,000 kits were ordered, but in fact it was 5000?

Me=confused!

abishur

Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:05 pm

Steve said:

Thank you Abishur. I do find it a little odd that a new batch of boards can be made in less time than it takes re-soldered jacks to be done though ? My soldering skills are rudimentary, but I think I could have done 8,000 by now, given the amount of time elapsed.

I seem to remember reading that the first of the serial batch will be due in May, (http://www.element14.com/commu.....spberry-pi) and you are saying that the batch of 8,000 will arrive after this...those incorrect jacks must be *very* well soldered on !

That's just my guess at this point, I don't have any inside information to make that gospel   I know that they were having a hard time at the first getting enough replacement jack so that maybe that slowed things up, but that's just pure speculation, for all I know they could be on the backs of 7 Sherpas traveling over the Himalayas as we type 

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:11 pm

God, the speculation! The other 8k are on their way from the factory straight to the distributors from China; because they're going straight to them I don't have a DHL tracking number for them, but I think they'll be pitching up before the middle of the week. At the same time, serial production's all set up and running with both companies.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

symes

Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:23 pm

liz said:

God, the speculation! The other 8k are on their way from the factory straight to the distributors from China; because they're going straight to them I don't have a DHL tracking number for them, but I think they'll be pitching up before the middle of the week. At the same time, serial production's all set up and running with both companies.

Thank you Liz, I think that's been hinted at before - but to hear it loud and clear from you now is appreciated... especially for those of us who appear to have been just outside the first set of deliveries!

You and the team must extremely relieved that the Raspis are soon going to be in the hands of what must be the most impatient group of enthusiastic users ever! 

Enjoy your evening!

abishur

Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:37 pm

liz said:

Does an innocent face

abishur

Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:38 pm

Oh hey, I just realized that means I might be right about the whole Sherpa thing!

Lynbarn

Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:07 pm

liz said:

Liz,

I'm not sure if you will be able to answer these, but are RS and Farnell both having their 'Pis produced by the same manufacturer/in the same factory? Is it the same manufacturer/factory employed by the RPF for batch 1? Regardless of the above, will the two distributors' products be discernably different in any way?

Kernel

Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:12 pm

liz said:

Good to know!

Lynbarn said:

Liz,
I'm not sure if you will be able to answer these, but are RS and Farnell both having their 'Pis produced by the same manufacturer/in the same factory? Is it the same manufacturer/factory employed by the RPF for batch 1? Regardless of the above, will the two distributors' products be discernably different in any way?

I think I read that initially they will be but then they might use other factories as well but there shouldn't be any difference between them

Return to “General discussion”