thexman

Re: one for sale on Ebay this is wrong as the foundation is loosing out here.

Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:10 pm

Item number: 261003305178

Be the first to own a Raspberry Pi!

I was given this bundle today by Dr Eben Upton at the launch of the Raspberry Pi, however I am not into computing.

Included in the bundle are:

Raspberry Pi Printed Circuit Board
SanDisk 4GB Memory Card Linux Software
A4 Tech X-slim Multimedia Keyboard
Optical Mouse
Power Supply Lead
High Speed HDMI Lead
USB to Micro USB Lead
5E Patch Lead

This is everything you need to use the Raspberry Pi excluding a monitor.

This is a 3 day auction and I will dispatch immediately after I have received payment.

Paypal Payment Only and No Returns.
Any Questions please feel free to ask.
Happy Bidding!
one armed controls engineer, my grammar is bad but lets face it most keyboards don't suit a one armed man

dawilson123

Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:17 pm

It's at a £173 already with 2 days left on the auction!

I don't get it. He/she was at the launch, but isn't into computers?! Someone is out to make a quick buck.

thexman

Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:20 pm

hehe hadent thought of that. but the pictures arent shown on any other website ive just been checking . so the pics are real maybe then the product is real we should ask eben if hes been giving away the Golden eggs at Wonkers factory.
one armed controls engineer, my grammar is bad but lets face it most keyboards don't suit a one armed man

Simon H

Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:21 pm

On BBC it says Ebon gave each the kids in the masterclass one, wonder if it is one of those.Should demand it back from the brat if it is!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/tech.....y-17703852

thexman

Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:25 pm

yup makes sense the seller is located in ponitfract thats near leeds.

so her kid came home and she thought [Liz: edit for language] that ill sell it..

that isnt what it was given for and some one should point that out theres loads of kids and adults who would have given there grannies to get one early and would never had sold it on Ebay

what ever it sells for she should be made to repay ever penny to the charity.

simonIOW

Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:26 pm

at £173 I think I'll have some patience and wait for Farnell!

Montala

Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:30 pm

I can guarantee that there will be a few more on there by the end of next week... sad but true!

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:31 pm

Well, all I can say is that there's nothing worse than greedy parents if it was one that was given to a child as a celebration of the launch of the Raspberry Pi.  If not that, why did the vendor take it, knowing that they had no use for it, apart from a quick profit.  I do note that they normally deal in old clothing...

Human nature, eh?

What is more amusing are the silly buggers prepared to bid up the price of something that won't be much of a collectors item, unlike the ones sold in January.  Perhaps someone ought to whisper "Caveat emptor" in their shelllikes?
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

simonIOW

Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:31 pm

Montala said

I can guarantee that there will be a few more on there by the end of next week… sad but true!

Hopefully sitting unsold as 100,000 Pi"s come floating across the oceans!

[Edit: add quote for context!]

Simon H

Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:41 pm

Would be interesting to find out if the accessories were also given by Ebon probably out of his own pocket. Like Jongoleur said human nature there is always some scum that will try to make a quick buck.

Also Here:

http://www.element14.com/commu.....-with-eben

Montala

Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:41 pm

I agree, but there will be people around who just won't be prepared to wait, and those are the ones who the sellers will rely on

It looks as if it will be a few weeks before the next 'batch' ships, during which time it will be receiving more and more news coverage, and will appear even more desirable.

I just wish I had got my order in earlier.

Hairlocks

Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:45 pm

What are the morals of winning the auction but failing to pay. Would delay it by a few days, before relisting. May be enough for the 100,000 to be on the way.

Jongoleur

Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:48 pm

Anyone see the story on "Click" about the self-destructing memory stick?  Its a pity that all Raspberry Pis that are gifted and turn up on ebay can't work in a similar manner... 

SN

Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:50 pm

Absolute b**tards. . .  at the very least they should donate back something to the foundation with the profits!!!
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

symes

Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:50 pm

Just looked at the listing, other than the moral issue of selling something like this, given free of charge, for educational value... I'm not sure I'd want to risk £173 quid when the second photograph shows the Pi sittiing on a carpet.  What's the risk of damage due to static discharge???

colin B

Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:51 pm

Well somewhere in the mix was a bit of publicity angle, so it is quite possible the school just selected pupils (I refuse to use this modern term students) at random who might not have a great interest in computing even if they are in an IT class.

Whilst I agree it is a shame, on the other hand, few here would pay over the odds for the kit and on the bright side it is further advertising for the Pi even if it is of the under the radar type.
On a clear disk one can seek forever

Jongoleur

Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:52 pm

Hairlocks said:

What are the morals of winning the auction but failing to pay. Would delay it by a few days, before relisting. May be enough for the 100,000 to be on the way.

Well, if you were a regular ebayer, then it's be a black mark against you.  Setting up an account for the purpose may be regarded as fraud.  I DON'T THINK IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA.

n3tw0rk5

Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:54 pm

At the end of the day it's a kid that has a chance of getting a fair bit of pocket money out of something they obviously arent that interested in.

Yes it's a shame that the kid hasn't realised just how lucky they were, but at the end of the day you cant blame her if people are willing to bid on it knowing that there are plenty on the way soon.

Hopefully whoever does buy it will put it to good use.

bluescrn

Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:56 pm

It's simple supply+demand. Wasn't it inevitable that some of the first batch would end up on eBay?

Intelligent kid, IMHO. He might not go into computing, but he could do well in business...

If we was a little more intelligent though, he would have said 'selling this one now, so I can buy a new one and a nice monitor for it in a couple of months'...

hippy

Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:05 pm

As annoying as it may be; when people are given something to do with as they please, one cannot really complain when they do with it as they please.

On the positives side, at least three people are are going to be happy and benefit from the sale ( seller, buyer and ebay ), and that's far better than the kid having taken it home, thrown it in a drawer - or worse, in a bin - considering it useless for themselves. If the seller has turned something that won't benefit themselves into something that does it would be hard to fault that.

thexman

Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:10 pm

love that thought Bluescrn  now i wish i had a delivery data set by farnell and i could have thought of that..

oh well ill sit and wait a bit longer maybe RS or Farnells will send an email telling me when i can order one as neither have bothered to contact me yet.

shame the foundation chose those two companys whos customer service always left a bad taste after you try to deal with them.

ive had so many delivery issues and they never care or appologise

i do hope my Pi wont be on the list of items that disapear from the packet before they arrive. even though its not the Royal mail postman they still claim it was in the packet yet it wasent. when i opened it. sigh...

Tass

Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:17 pm

Tempted just to create a fake ebay account just to push the big up ridiculously & reneg.  Even if they REALLY aren't into it, they should take it down to their local school and donate it.

scep

Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:19 pm

An occupational hazard when you give a computer that isn't an iPad to a 17 year old girl I guess

Having said that - if it was freely given (as opposed to loaned or given away with conditions attached) then it's down to her what she does with it. It's her property. It's a mass produced computer, not a unique artwork or first editon of Shakespeare. Why the outrage? [If it was not hers to sell then, yes, it's outrageous!]

Would it be OK to sell it if it was the second one on eBay? Or the tenth? Or if you had paid £30 and were flogging it on for for £100? I wouldn't do it myself but I don't blame them. And it certainly won't be the last one of these we see (especially when word gets round on Facebook tonight )

[my opinions - NOT the Foundation's ]

thexman

Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:33 pm

hehe how you know she was 17.?

lol that didnt sound right im 40 i thought the kids getting these were in middle school as we called it  at 17 she should be out earning a living or be in further education and paying for it..lol i heard its upto 9000 pound in fees., now.

oh well is it me or am i too old for all this lark

Return to “General discussion”