gribbled

Cannot get RPi fully on our wireless network

Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:43 pm

Thanks in advance for any help. My daughter and I are RPi noobs. Just bought a Pi so she could learn to program.

We also bought an Adafruit USB wireless adapter (the larger one, about 1.5 inches long). It seems that Wheezy supports it, as we were able to use the WiFi config utility in the RPi graphical interface to scan for our home network.

Our network usesbasic WPA, and we were able to put in the key on the RPi and it claims to be connected. The problem is that the RPi does not seem to have an IP address - nothing is displayed on the graphical interface next to "IP Address". I cannot "ping" from the RPi.

I logged in to our wireless router with another PC and I can see that the RPi requested (and was granted) an IP address via DHCP. It was something like 192.168.100.122.

The only odd thing I notice was that the signal level as displayed in the RPi graphical interface was like -207dB. The signal level from our neighbor's networks was much higher. I don't think I have a signal problem. When the RPi starts and I open the WiFi config, it appears to connect normally... just never gets an IP address.

Is there anything I can do from the RPi command line? I don't know enough Linux to solve this. I don't want to mess with my router because then I'll have to re-do the setup for multiple other devices. Thanks for any troubleshooting help.

dave

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Cannot get RPi fully on our wireless network

Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:55 am

Hi and welcome to the forum.
I don't have that dongle, so can't help you specifically. When I chose which dongle to buy, I made sure that others had it working on the Pi beforehand (Edimax 7211UN). I would use the forum search facility and see what you come up with - it may be benficial to find the excact model number and also the chipset that it uses to see what others have found. To find the chipset, with the dongle not plugged in, switch on the pi, let it boot, log in as usual, then plug in the dongle.
After a second or 2, type

Code: Select all

dmesg
This will show driver activity and the last few lines should give details of the wifi dongle you plugged in.
Hope this helps,
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

malakai

Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:39 am

I have had this happen from time to time with the first setup. Mostly just rebooting solved the problem never did understand what was the problem just getting the IP after everything went in.

Boot up the Pi if you haven't got the desktop loading automatically just type:

Code: Select all

ifconfig
If not log out of the desktop and type it can you see the IP address without the GUI you should be able to.

Once I got the IP to show it stopped being an issue but the initial setup for some reason was slow going at times.
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

gribbled

Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:03 pm

Thanks to all who've helped. The Pi is now on the network... at least it has an IP address. I can ping from it. I cannot get its web browser to work yet.

lewmur

Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:32 pm

gribbled wrote:Thanks in advance for any help. My daughter and I are RPi noobs. Just bought a Pi so she could learn to program.

We also bought an Adafruit USB wireless adapter (the larger one, about 1.5 inches long). It seems that Wheezy supports it, as we were able to use the WiFi config utility in the RPi graphical interface to scan for our home network.

Our network usesbasic WPA, and we were able to put in the key on the RPi and it claims to be connected. The problem is that the RPi does not seem to have an IP address - nothing is displayed on the graphical interface next to "IP Address". I cannot "ping" from the RPi.

I logged in to our wireless router with another PC and I can see that the RPi requested (and was granted) an IP address via DHCP. It was something like 192.168.100.122.

The only odd thing I notice was that the signal level as displayed in the RPi graphical interface was like -207dB. The signal level from our neighbor's networks was much higher. I don't think I have a signal problem. When the RPi starts and I open the WiFi config, it appears to connect normally... just never gets an IP address.

Is there anything I can do from the RPi command line? I don't know enough Linux to solve this. I don't want to mess with my router because then I'll have to re-do the setup for multiple other devices. Thanks for any troubleshooting help.

dave
There should be no need to use the command line in order to set up wifi unless your dongle wasn't recognized. Obviously it was. The only thing I see from your post that could be causing your problem is the week signal. This is normally caused by interference and the best solution is to change the channel used by your router.

Using the wifi config tool on the desktop, make sure you click the "enable" button and then click scan. Choose your router and click "add". Enter the password and click OK and you should connect and be able to use the browser. After that, wifi should connect by itself each time you boot without having to use the "Wifi Config" app.

Return to “General discussion”