User avatar
liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Posts: 5201
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:22 pm
Contact: Website

Re: New post on the front, with pub toilet picture.

Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:09 pm

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/996

The pub toilet picture is actually kind of relevant.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Dinosaur
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:28 am

Re: New post on the front, with pub toilet picture.

Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:18 pm

Glad you can tell the the difference between the marks.

PS. Bananas give you constipation

Michael
Posts: 340
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:05 pm

Re: New post on the front, with pub toilet picture.

Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:19 pm

I'm not sure how reliable the logotype test actually is.  I note that my Official Microsoft mouse, complete with Microsoft holigram, has the "China Export" version of the mark moulded into its plastic underbelly.

Likewise, I would wager that there are some products in the world that do carry the official version of the certification mark, but aren't compliant.

User avatar
liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Posts: 5201
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:22 pm
Contact: Website

Re: New post on the front, with pub toilet picture.

Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:33 pm

I'm sure that's the case - the problem is that the EC hasn't ever taken the step of trademarking the CE mark, so it can appear in bowlderised forms as well as being put on stuff it's not meant to be on; the China Export mark is much younger than the CE mark, and was only raised as a problem over here in 2008. (CE marking has been around since 1993.) If I was a designer before 2008 trying to make text more pleasing and didn't realise there was a geometric rationale behind the kerning of the letters, I might move them closer too. Since 2008, though, companies are being much more careful about it. I wonder if your mouse predates that?
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

User avatar
ArborealSeer
Posts: 300
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:48 am
Location: South West, UK

Re: New post on the front, with pub toilet picture.

Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:34 pm

at my place of work we've always joked that things carrying the CE mark are edible. (Can Eat)
Pi Status > Farnell, Arrived 24/5- RS, Arrived 1/6

Michael
Posts: 340
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:05 pm

Re: New post on the front, with pub toilet picture.

Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:49 pm


liz said:


I'm sure that's the case - the problem is that the EC hasn't ever taken the step of trademarking the CE mark, so it can appear in bowlderised forms as well as being put on stuff it's not meant to be on; the China Export mark is much younger than the CE mark, and was only raised as a problem over here in 2008. (CE marking has been around since 1993.) If I was a designer before 2008 trying to make text more pleasing and didn't realise there was a geometric rationale behind the kerning of the letters, I might move them closer too. Since 2008, though, companies are being much more careful about it. I wonder if your mouse predates that?


Interesting.  My mouse appears to have been manufactured in week 47, 2008

User avatar
RaTTuS
Posts: 10406
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:12 am
Location: North West UK

Re: New post on the front, with pub toilet picture.

Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:29 am

I have several video card boxes here [and the cards]

about half of both the ATi and Nvidia ones have the China Export version ....

so YMMV ...;-p
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

User avatar
crundy
Posts: 310
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:47 am

Re: New post on the front, with pub toilet picture.

Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:16 am

Damn, you were in Norwich and I didn't get to buy you a pint? Which pub did you go to?

User avatar
rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 4258
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:16 pm
Contact: Website

Re: New post on the front, with pub toilet picture.

Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:24 am

Most of the "official" knowledge of Chinese Export seems to comes from a written question by Zuzana Roithová (PPE?DE) to the [European] Commission, and a You-tube video of the same woman explaining the problem. However the answer that the Commission gave Ms Roithova holds that there is no "Chinese Export" mark, and that the use of the bad logo is unrelated to the marking of non-compliant goods.


The Commission is aware that there exists the misconception attributing CE marking the meaning ‘Chinese export’. The Commission is not aware of the existence of a ‘China export mark’ but considers that the mark the Honourable Member refers to constitute the CE marking as foreseen in the European legislation without, however, respecting the dimensions and proportions prescribed therein.

The Commission is aware that CE marking, like any other mark, is misused, e.g. CE marking is affixed to products which do not fulfil the requirements and conditions for its affixing or it is affixed to products for which the affixing is not foreseen. There are also cases where, whilst the product is in compliance with the applicable requirements the CE marking itself does not respect the formal requirements, namely the form of the CE marking or the dimensions and proportions prescribed in the legislation...


This seems to be entirely in line with my experience, where the bad logo is in no way limited to bad devices. I notice that in Ms. Roithova's YouTube video there is an example of a bad logo as an example of a good usage of the CE mark. Maybe this mark is understood by some Chinese to mean "Chinese Export", or maybe they feel that it is a good joke to describe it so. That does not make it an official, semi-official or even ad-hoc standard. The fact is that manufacturers who want to import non-compliant devices to the EU will make the CE logo as accurate as they can. There is no advantage to them in using a logo that can be distinguished from the official CE mark.

The trademark issue is being addressed.


...The Commission has already initiated the procedure to register CE marking as a Community collective trademark. National market surveillance authorities will have an additional means to take legal action against manufacturers providing non-compliant products and misusing CE marking. In addition, economic operators/competitors will be entitled to bring proceedings for infringement and to claim for compensation.


-- Answer given by Mr Verheugen on behalf of the [European] Commission (exerpts only)

User avatar
liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Posts: 5201
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:22 pm
Contact: Website

Re: New post on the front, with pub toilet picture.

Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:26 am

It is amazing how nice you guys are; every time I mention we've been somewhere other than Cambridge, one of you will pop up and say you live nearby and would have liked to get a cup of tea/glass of beer! This particular toilet was in Mambo Jambo, a really, really dodgy Tex-Mex bar/restaurant (don't ask how we ended up in there - it's a long story), but we also saw the same machine (when I didn't have a phone with a camera with me) on Sunday in the Plough and Sail at Snape Maltings.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

secretreeve
Posts: 330
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:39 am

Re: New post on the front, with pub toilet picture.

Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:40 am

liz said:


(don't ask how we ended up in there - it's a long story)



i wouldnt worry to much, i think we've all found ourselfs in some wierd places, i myself went into a pub to use the bathrooms once and came face to face with an entire pub full of heavily tattood, scruffy hair'd people with more metal in thier faces than an ironworks employee after the plant went boom. and they all seemed to be staring at me...maybe i was wearing a suit at the time, maybe i wasnt....

E
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:30 pm

Re: New post on the front, with pub toilet picture.

Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:55 am

Interesting..

..and slightly worrying!

User avatar
crundy
Posts: 310
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:47 am

Re: New post on the front, with pub toilet picture.

Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:14 pm

liz said:


It is amazing how nice you guys are; every time I mention we've been somewhere other than Cambridge, one of you will pop up and say you live nearby and would have liked to get a cup of tea/glass of beer! This particular toilet was in Mambo Jambo, a really, really dodgy Tex-Mex bar/restaurant (don't ask how we ended up in there - it's a long story), but we also saw the same machine (when I didn't have a phone with a camera with me) on Sunday in the Plough and Sail at Snape Maltings.


I've eaten there years ago, because they are on the Norwich Spree scheme so we got 2-for-1 on main meals. I seem to remember having a plate of ribs and chips the size of which would make most American restaurants feel inferior.

Well, if you are still in 11 toe county then I'd happily meet up with you guys in a proper pub for a pint. Give me a shout.

User avatar
ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 4118
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:51 pm
Contact: Website

Re: New post on the front, with pub toilet picture.

Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:29 pm

liz said:


This particular toilet was in Mambo Jambo, a really, really dodgy Tex-Mex bar/restaurant (don't ask how we ended up in there - it's a long story)


You made Eben ask for directions again didn't you? He knew perfectly how to get where you were going until you piped up with "why don't you ask that nice little yokel over there" and then all bets were off with trying to get to the wine bar

[ok back to the naughty step until next time]

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 23316
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: New post on the front, with pub toilet picture.

Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:13 pm

Crundy said:


liz said:


It is amazing how nice you guys are; every time I mention we've been somewhere other than Cambridge, one of you will pop up and say you live nearby and would have liked to get a cup of tea/glass of beer! This particular toilet was in Mambo Jambo, a really, really dodgy Tex-Mex bar/restaurant (don't ask how we ended up in there - it's a long story), but we also saw the same machine (when I didn't have a phone with a camera with me) on Sunday in the Plough and Sail at Snape Maltings.


I've eaten there years ago, because they are on the Norwich Spree scheme so we got 2-for-1 on main meals. I seem to remember having a plate of ribs and chips the size of which would make most American restaurants feel inferior.

Well, if you are still in 11 toe county then I'd happily meet up with you guys in a proper pub for a pint. Give me a shout.


Oooohh. I like ribs. Spent three years in Norwich (UEA), but only live on  the Norfolk border now. Not close enough to 'just popping out for ribs, Dear' distance.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

User avatar
crundy
Posts: 310
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:47 am

Re: New post on the front, with pub toilet picture.

Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:22 pm

JamesH said:


Oooohh. I like ribs. Spent three years in Norwich (UEA), but only live on  the Norfolk border now. Not close enough to 'just popping out for ribs, Dear' distance.


Cool. I worked at UEA in the IT dept (central services) for 5 years. Keep meaning to go to the grad bar to meet up with friends who still work there.

Flipper
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:48 pm

Re: New post on the front, with pub toilet picture.

Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:32 pm

I almost feel like I'm amongst the geekiest of royalty.  I feel privileged I do.  I'm Sir Frank of the Nuttinghamster clan, from San Diego, California, USA....ya know - the colonies.  Ooops.  I probably should have introduced myself somewhere else.  My bad.  I'd love a pint though....and I'll always hoist one up and give a toast to your cause.  TO EDUCATION.  That's it....  You're all doing a great job - God speed.

-Frank

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 23316
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: New post on the front, with pub toilet picture.

Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:55 pm

Crundy said:


JamesH said:


Oooohh. I like ribs. Spent three years in Norwich (UEA), but only live on  the Norfolk border now. Not close enough to 'just popping out for ribs, Dear' distance.


Cool. I worked at UEA in the IT dept (central services) for 5 years. Keep meaning to go to the grad bar to meet up with friends who still work there.


I was there 86-89. Oh God. Just realised how old I am......
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

User avatar
SN
Posts: 1014
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:06 pm
Location: Romiley, UK
Contact: Website

Re: New post on the front, with pub toilet picture.

Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:55 pm

I last went to Norwich in 1975. . . has it changed much?
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

Return to “General discussion”