sandytrisquirrelon

Re: Problem to burn gparted-live ISO Image on CD/DVD under Win XP ImgBurner

Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:50 pm

Nowbody might expect someone to encounter burning problems, as it's such a standard issue almost like plugging in sth.. So following the Prep. for Pi - using Full SD card capacity Tutorial in which Liam states "burning with the ImgBurner is damn easy!", I downloaded the correct stable iso zip and tried to burn on a blank DVD then on a blank CD and both failed. I tried to figure out before which exactly is the .iso file, extracting the gparted zip file and my Explorer didn't show up any content when I choose among the data files .iso, I checked the download and didn't found an explanation. So I went for the live folder choosing ALL TYPES of Files in the Explorer so non on those works. I got constantly an error message. I suppose I havn't got the ISO file I should have? Otherwise the Burner should be able to read it and it's not only a CD/DVD problem?

Does anybody know how to exactly locate the file I need to burn as it's not described anywhere? I got several files named: live,syslinux, isolinux so I suppose for Win XP I need a specific one but which one, or should I get a new blanco CD/DVD and when from which manufacturer best not to cause any further avoidable problems?

Btw. how to post screensnaps with the RTE?

nick.mccloud

Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:06 pm

It's not too clear what you are trying to do so bear with us while we try and figure it out ...

First, what exactly is the name of the file you downloaded?

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:13 pm

burning an ISO image of a specific linux distro (gparted life?) to CD/DVD (as that is what you seem to want to do) should indeed be a trivial exercise, at least if you know that you must use the "burn as image" option of your burner software, but I wonder what it has to do with the raspberry pi?

bredman

Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:36 pm

It is very unclear what you are trying to do and what is going wrong. Maybe a more-step-by-step description of your problem would help us to help you.

However, some observations should help you.

1. There is no reason to burn a CD/DVD if you are preparing for the purchase of a RPi. If you want to boot to real RPi hardware, you need to burn an SD card. If you are using an emulator, you should use an emulator image. Neither of these two options can use a CD or DVD. You may have misunderstood something in the tutorial.

2. If you have downloaded a zip file containing an ISO image, you should be able to extract the ISO from the zip file by right-clicking on the zip file. The ISO should be extracted to the same directory as the zip file.

Joe Schmoe

Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:49 pm

But again, "ISO files" have nothing at all whatsoever to do with running the Raspberry Pi.  They are therefore completely off-topic in this forum.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

digital_addict

Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:20 pm

My crystal ball is off centre most of the time, but is this the clue ?

“So following the Prep. for Pi – using Full SD card capacity Tutorial “

I suspect the OP is trying to burn a live CD of gparted to facilitate the above.

danielverza

Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:28 am

You need to download the *ISO* file, not the ZIP

Here's a direct link to it:  gparted-live-0.12.0-5.iso

Then, on ImgBurn, use the top-left option (Write image file to disk).

Note: you can check the integrity of the downloaded file using MD5. This is the checksum for the ISO file from the link above:

2dff6dc11fe6d65d0778b3f2b109c81b

And here's a simple tool to validate the file against it:

Nero MD5 Verifier

sandytrisquirrelon

Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:22 pm

digital_addict said:

My crystal ball is off centre most of the time, but is this the clue ?

“So following the Prep. for Pi – using Full SD card capacity Tutorial “

I suspect the OP is trying to burn a live CD of gparted to facilitate the above.

It seems it doesn't even need a crystal ball as you disovered in the second sentence of my post I yet stated the recorded procedure I was trying to follow;-)

sandytrisquirrelon

Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:24 pm

Daniel Ferreira said:

You need to download the *ISO* file, not the ZIP

Here's a direct link to it:  gparted-live-0.12.0-5.iso

Then, on ImgBurn, use the top-left option (Write image file to disk).

Note: you can check the integrity of the downloaded file using MD5. This is the checksum for the ISO file from the link above:

2dff6dc11fe6d65d0778b3f2b109c81b

And here's a simple tool to validate the file against it:

Nero MD5 Verifier

Thank you for your help! whenever I use the direct link I'm instantly offered the zip file as I was been offered before googling gparted. I will carry on to search to find the iso image not the zip on the gparted portel thank you in the meantime for the MD5 help!

sandytrisquirrelon

Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:52 pm

Joe Schmoe said:

But again, "ISO files" have nothing at all whatsoever to do with running the Raspberry Pi.  They are therefore completely off-topic in this forum.

As I stated in my 2nd sentence of the orig. post I'm "just" following the tutorial as long as Farnell can not send me the RasPi I'd at least like to do the preparatory steps I can do before it arrives. Hence I'm trying to get yet gparted on disc for being later able to have a bootable and optimized (repartitioned) SD card or is this yet a complete misunderstanding? I'm working with Windows XP. I would dearly love to fwd. a screenshot of the ziped .iso of gparted.

I'm using the ImgBurn burning sw mentioned in the tutorial.
I'm wanting to choose the option WRITE image file to disc and
As soon as I click on browse for files in the burner and open the extracted file collection of the .iso I got

.disk

EFI

isolinux

live

syslinux

test

utils

to choose from

It seems that I have to open each of them i.o.t burn them

But when I choose any of those (selecting above in the field datatype .iso nothing is displayed and if I change to ALL FILES then choosing for e.g. from the live folder "filesystem.packages" the burner shows me invalid or unsupported image file format. In brief: I just need to know what to pick from the extracted gparted 12.05.zip.iso to be able to burn an image of gparted for an Windows XP machine.

I hope I managed this time to explain more clearly my efforts.

rmm200

Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:00 pm

When I click on the posted link, the .iso file starts downloading with no choices.

This is with Windows Vista and Firefox - no idea why your XP system is misbehaving.

Try a different browser...

hippy

Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:19 pm

sandytrisquirrelon said:

As soon as I click on browse for files in the burner and open the extracted file collection of the .iso I got
I'm not familiar with the burning software being used, nor have I read the tutorial, but if you are wanting to burn an image to CD / DVD you need to select the .iso file rather than what's in / extracted from the .iso file.

I suspect you are using the wrong menu option(s) to do the burning, thus not getting the option to select the .iso file itself.

sandytrisquirrelon

Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:57 pm

hippy said:

sandytrisquirrelon said:

I'm not familiar with the burning software being used, nor have I read the tutorial, but if you are wanting to burn an image to CD / DVD you need to select the .iso file rather than what's in / extracted from the .iso file.

I suspect you are using the wrong menu option(s) to do the burning, thus not getting the option to select the .iso file itself.

I would be lucky if their was an .iso file but if I choose datatype .iso in the Explorer  no content is shown. I will try the whole thing again tomorrow.

sandytrisquirrelon

Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:07 pm

sandytrisquirrelon said:

hippy said:

sandytrisquirrelon said:

I would be lucky if their was an .iso file but if I choose datatype .iso in the Explorer  no content is shown. I will try the whole thing again tomorrow. Think I got it, things might get messed up as I have a so called WinRar (evaluation copy) to handle with compressed files.

SN

Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:11 pm

So lets assume you windows in non-stupid mode i.e. You can see the file suffixes and you are genuinel working with a .iso file.
With you cd/dvd burning software you need to burn that iso file to a cd/dvd using a disk image burn option rather than a data disk option. The iso is a container file which internally has all the other files in it. You write the iso container file as an image to the disk such that when you stick the disk in a drive the disk will reveal all the files inside.
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

sandytrisquirrelon

Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:49 pm

SN said:

So lets assume you windows in non-stupid mode i.e. You can see the file suffixes and you are genuinel working with a .iso file.
With you cd/dvd burning software you need to burn that iso file to a cd/dvd using a disk image burn option rather than a data disk option. The iso is a container file which internally has all the other files in it. You write the iso container file as an image to the disk such that when you stick the disk in a drive the disk will reveal all the files inside.

I think the problem was the burner and the CD I changed to an XP-burner and chose the ISO burn option of the unzipped .iso and browsing for the container it kept closed and wasn't opened and it worked out properly there has been one guy on another forum in Germany who was as well running crazy with burning problems with ImgBurn and XP. So in the end I don't know whether I can shirk responsibility to the non-compatibility of OS, burner and CDs or if it was the missing ISO burn button as ImgBurn just offered a write to CD button. So it seems that changing tiny things can make wonders I wonder why we wasted so much time on that, sorry to everyone!

SN

Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:53 pm

You learned something. Thats the main thing
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

Tass

Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:09 am

I think the problem is that you're not selecting the iso itself (unless I'm missing something?).  When I click on the link I get prompted to download an ISO file, and not a zip file.

Here's the catch - if you have something like winrar installed, it'll see an ISO file as a compressed file and allow you to extract it.  You definitely don't want to extract it.  Leave it as it is, with the zip/winrar icon, and select that using your CD burning software.

Just a guess here - I may be way off

hippy

Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:02 am

sandytrisquirrelon said:

I wonder why we wasted so much time on that, sorry to everyone!
It happens, but as long as you having it working now that's the important thing.

Using XP SP2 I downloaded ImgBurn 2.5.7.0 ( http://www.imgburn.com ) and the .iso linked in Daniel Ferreira's post #7, followed the instructions there and it worked as expected. Haven't checked MD5, tried booting the disc or running gparted but the burning part was simple enough.

Return to “General discussion”