999frogs

Re: RS - not strictly correct description ... ?

Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:53 am

The description on the RS Raspberry Pi page states

Boots from SD card, running the Fedora version of Linux

Am I being too pedantic or does this need changing, especially as the Fedora remix is "a little buggy" ?

zardoz99

Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:12 am

999frogs said:

The description on the RS Raspberry Pi page states

Boots from SD card, running the Fedora version of Linux

Am I being too pedantic or does this need changing, especially as the Fedora remix is "a little buggy" ?

It would have been better if the string ", for example." was added at the end of the sentence.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:59 am

The Fedora Remix was supposed to be the "preferred" distro at launch time. and its still on the Downloads page, so its fair for RS to say that.  Currently the Debian distro is said to be more stable, but as there are no examples of Raspberry Pi actually out in the wild at the time of writing, the choice is moot.

Most persons experience of either distro has been under an emulator and things may change once they run on the actual hardware.

It may have been better for RS to say Boots from the SD card into one of the Linux distributions which are available from our Raspberry Pi shop or from "www.raspberrypi.org/downloads, although I can see that mentioning only the preferred distribution cuts down on confusion.
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

Phil Spiegel

Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:28 am

I assumed the OP was referring to the mention of Fedora without 'Remix' as requested by Fedora for copyright / marketing / support reasons.

hippy

Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:38 am

Jongoleur said:

The Fedora Remix was supposed to be the "preferred" distro at launch time. and its still on the Downloads page, so its fair for RS to say that.

I at first thought the OP was being pedantic about how "Fedora" should be described in relation to the R-Pi computer ...

A Quick Word on Trademarks - This software distribution is counted as a “Fedora Remix” in the terminology of the Fedora project because it contains software not found in the Fedora package collection. Please do not refer to the Remix as “Fedora” ... please refer to it as a “Fedora Remix” - http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/805

Perhaps some clarification from the OP would help as it's often hard to second guess what people are being pedantic over if they don't explicitly state the problem as they see it.

Boots from the SD card into one of the Linux distributions which are available from our Raspberry Pi shop or from "www.raspberrypi.org/downloads

Or perhaps simply "Boots from the SD card" as it can (should) run non-Linux OS's and even bare metal code.

Kernel

Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:28 pm

I think the op meant to say that saying it runs Fedora when the Fedora Remix version is unstable isn't the best idea as people may end up having trouble when running it.

But yes the issue about calling it Fedora Remix rather than Fedora needs to be addressed too.

Lynbarn

Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:09 pm

If you feel this should be changed, I suggest it would probably be better to bring it to the attention of RS directly through their own communications channels, rather than the RPF, as the appropriate people at RS may not be looking here..

monpjc

Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:39 pm

I've sent a comment to the RS team but agree you should talk to them direct or on the DesignSpark site.

Return to “General discussion”