ColdZer0

Pi turning off?

Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:25 pm

I've just installed Wheezy on my pi and have set it up as a NAS and download box.

If I'm actively using the pi like listening to music or watching videos off the external hard drive I have no problems.

When I leave the pi idle or downloading a file from the internet without watching it, it eventually vanishes from my network (I'm running it headless) and I have to restart my pi. Ideally I want it running 24/7.

When its not on my network there is only the power light on the board and my wifi dongle flashes slowly and consistantly as if its in power saving mode?

Is there any way to stop this from happening, any help would be great.

ColdZer0

Re: Pi turning off?

Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:14 pm

I've replaced the power supply with another type to rule this out and it has still done the same thing during today.

mrpi64

Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:30 am

because the pi cannot disconnect from the main power (micro usb cable). so, i keeps on powering USB devices. This problem (i think) is currently unavoidable. My reccomendation? disconnect the main power after you switch it off.
I'm happy to help.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=51794 - List of games that work on the Pi.

rpdom

Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:49 am

The first thing you need to find out is why it is happening.

It would be good if you could get a screen connected to your Pi so you could see if there are any messages where it does disconnect from your network, and a keyboard too so you can see if it still responds.

Otherwise you could check the various logfiles in /var/log to see if they have any information.

ColdZer0

Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:05 pm

Any idea which files to look in in the log folder? Connecting a monitor would be very awkward due to the location.

MrEngman

Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:08 pm

ColdZer0 wrote:Any idea which files to look in in the log folder? Connecting a monitor would be very awkward due to the location.
You could try adding this line to the /etc/network/interfaces file wireless-power off. Appears to work for some people.

MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

Return to “General discussion”