liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Re: New post on the front page - vid of Eben's talk from Beeb@30

Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:37 pm

I think the organisers are going to be putting some video out later on, but a YouTube version has just surfaced, and we thought you'd like to see it now. Do head over to the article linked to in the blog post to read more about the day - it was some of the best fun I've had in ages.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Montala

Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:05 pm

I only wish I could have been there too... it sounds like you all had a really great day.

I too am old enough to have been the proud owner of a BBC Model B computer, which I actually gave away (fool that I am!), still in good working order, about 6 years ago.

Hopefully within the next month (or perhaps two!) I shall be the equally proud owner of a Raspberry Pi computer... so roll on that day!

john_wage

Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:27 pm

Eben said 'Umm' 152 times in that video.

not counting uhh's

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:01 pm

john_wage said:

Eben said 'Umm' 152 times in that video.

not counting uhh's

I think Liz said they had virtually just got off the plane from the US - I think he's entitled to "umm" a little. I'd have been propped up in the corner, snoring.......
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

liz

Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:08 pm

Not just any plane, either, but one of those ones full of screaming kids. We hadn't slept in more than 24 hours - I was mainlining coffee through the whole event.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

mkopack

Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:44 pm

Yeah, those are the WORST. I've actually had flight attendants offer to buy me free drinks because they could tell I was beyond annoyed being stuck around the screaming kids...

Might be ok if you're a parent, but when you're a single person who chooses not to have kids, the LAST thing you want to deal with is a screaming or obnoxious kid, especially when you're stuck in a metal tube with them for hours on end with no place to escape to.

Eros

Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:33 pm

Those are the flights where you ask the attendant for a glass of water and he/she will bring you a can of larger instead, because it will be more useful.

Loved the interview, especially the tech support guy saying if he couldnt write a driver he didn't deserve to have a mouse... strangely after attending many many many physics conferences, i have the same opinion of people who step up to presentations with their laptop and have no idea how to hook up the projector correctly.

While not everyone is going to know everything about everything without some trail and error or manual reading, the amount of people who get up there and look very lost, is disturbing.

At my infant school, we had a BBC micro, and I was the only one who could get anything to load on it , of course we just played various educational games and didnt do any programming. For us, loading it was a huge deal.

grumpyoldgit

Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:01 pm

Eros said:

Those are the flights where you ask the attendant for a glass of water and he/she will bring you a can of larger instead, because it will be more useful.

Loved the interview, especially the tech support guy saying if he couldnt write a driver he didn't deserve to have a mouse... strangely after attending many many many physics conferences, i have the same opinion of people who step up to presentations with their laptop and have no idea how to hook up the projector correctly.

While not everyone is going to know everything about everything without some trail and error or manual reading, the amount of people who get up there and look very lost, is disturbing.

The secret with is to test it out in advance of the presentation. Any teacher will tell you that you have to check that the TV/projector actually works and that you know where the on switch is. You then need to check that your cable is compatible with the socket on the projector and briefly play back a few seconds of video. I suspect that people have seen far too many science fiction films where the space craft approaches and boards the abandoned ancient alien craft but no-one is ever surprised when their RS232 cable neatly fits the socket on the master console.

Phil Spiegel

Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:52 pm

The secret with is to test it out in advance of the presentation. Any teacher will tell you that you have to check that the TV/projector actually works and that you know where the on switch is.

One reason why I used to take my own projector and originally an Acorn A4 portable.

Presumably the Vica in today's news who gave the presentation to parent's forgot to check it was his USB memory stick he plugged in!

Priest in '      ' images' row

An investigation is under way after          images were "inadvertently" shown by a Catholic priest during a presentation at a primary school in County Tyrone.  (BBC News: NI website)

msloan

Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:55 pm

mkopack said:

Yeah, those are the WORST. I've actually had flight attendants offer to buy me free drinks because they could tell I was beyond annoyed being stuck around the screaming kids...

Might be ok if you're a parent, but when you're a single person who chooses not to have kids, the LAST thing you want to deal with is a screaming or obnoxious kid, especially when you're stuck in a metal tube with them for hours on end with no place to escape to.

You think that's fun for the people with kids? Sorry, but if this can be said without a moderator stepping in, I find that questionable.

Why is it OK to bash people with kids and tell me how annoying I am for trying to travel with them but no one is allowed to question or express their feelings about the events transpiring??? 

grumpyoldgit

Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:55 pm

Phil Spiegel said:

The secret with is to test it out in advance of the presentation. Any teacher will tell you that you have to check that the TV/projector actually works and that you know where the on switch is.

One reason why I used to take my own projector and originally an Acorn A4 portable.

Presumably the Vica in today"s news who gave the presentation to parent"s forgot to check it was his USB memory stick he plugged in!

Priest in "      " images" row

An investigation is under way after          images were "inadvertently" shown by a Catholic priest during a presentation at a primary school in County Tyrone.  (BBC News: NI website)

I got the impression that it was part of the job description for being a priest.

SN

Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:37 pm

msloan said:

mkopack said:

You think that's fun for the people with kids? Sorry, but if this can be said without a moderator stepping in, I find that questionable.

Why is it OK to bash people with kids and tell me how annoying I am for trying to travel with them but no one is allowed to question or express their feelings about the events transpiring??? 

yes but when mine were little my wife and I tried our utmost to keep our kids sat down and quiet knowing what a pain kids can be. Too many times I get the impression that parents couldn't give a damn about the impact their kids have on others as long as they have an easy life. Its good parenting and having respect for others right NOT to be impacted.  Too many people have forgotten (or never known) this.... Grrrrr.
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

Montala

Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:47 pm

This thread (as interesting as the comments being made are) seems to be drifting way 'off topic'!

zippy

Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:05 pm

Ha, I can relate to the story about the BBC AMS mouse and the lack of software.

I would have been about the same age (early teens) when I got an AMS mouse for my BBC micro, but it would be at least a year or two later before I got a disk drive system and the tape based software for the mouse was either rubbish or non-existent.

Solution... a friend had a disk drive and I was able to copy the disc version files onto tape. I had one of those sideways ROM/RAM expansion boards (another Watford Electronics classic!) so after many days of hacking the AMS Super Art ROM code I was able to get it running fully without any disk acess, by redirecting the fill load routines to the *ROM filing system where I could store the disk files in sideways RAM.

I'd spend hours playing with that stuff and not even drawing anything, 'cause it was just so cool to have even a basic WIMP system in those days.

scep

Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:38 am

msloan said:

I'm sorry that you find the post offensive. I personally took it as an off-the-cuff comment about being stuck in a metal tube six miles in the air with screaming, obnoxious kids, which I'm sure that most would agree is the stuff of nightmares (parents included).

My own two young children may not be perfect(!), but on a plane I can and do stop them from running about; clambering on seats; kicking backs of seats; shouting and screaming; fighting; and generally being, well, obnoxious. Some parents don't and therefore deserve to be "bashed" and told that they are annoying .

[I'm waiting for the new forum software so I can split this out into an off topic "Should kids be banned from planes?" thread ]

Return to “General discussion”