Lynbarn

Re: Trademark Rules

Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:22 am

A new section on the home page should help to clarify the situation regarding the use of the RPF Trademark:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/tra.....mark-rules

hippy

Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:12 am

It may be worth adding a short footnote to explain how the trademark rules apply and what the requirements are for people who are producing cases which carry the Raspberry Pi logo.

Are they excluded by (e) or fall under (i), or something else ?

jacklang

Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:39 am

For people making cases they should include in the documentation wording to the effect of "This product is not endorsed by the Raspberry Pi Foundation. Raspberry Pi and the raspberry logo are trademarks of the Raspberry Pi Foundation”

The purpose is primarily to protect the Foundation's reputation: firstly we don't want people contacting us if there is something wrong with your case – they should call you, even though our trademark is there; and secondly we want to protect against our trademark becoming a generic description.

For commercial use a charitable donation to help the Foundation's work would be appreciated. 10% of revenue might be appropriate, and as a charitable donation there may be tax and corporate social responsibility benefits as well

arm2

Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:42 pm

jacklang said:

10% of revenue might be appropriate, 

Revenue has defined meaning in some countries I believe (but not the UK). But I've seen it used to mean anything from gross turnover to profit after distribution of dividens! So are you meaning 10% of sale price inc VAT, ex VAT. Gross Profit or Net Profit?

I like the “don’t use as a noun/adjective[1]’ bit. I think you might want to add don’t verbify it either! Doh now I’m going to have to shoot myself ‘Verbify’. In my defence Liz did use ‘enbiggen’ on the front page 15th December, now that is one damn ugly word!

[1]Someone else has pointed out that you seem to have swapped Noun and Adjective over!

jacklang

Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:00 pm

I had in mind 10% of net sales, but its up to the individual company or user. Its a charitable donation, not a licence or a royalty.

We are a small team, and have better things to do than policing royalty payments and so have the possibly naive belief that if we treat our users well and honestly, they will do the same with us.

PiOfCube

Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:00 pm

jacklang said:

I had in mind 10% of net sales, but its up to the individual company or user. Its a charitable donation, not a licence or a royalty.

We are a small team, and have better things to do than policing royalty payments and so have the possibly naive belief that if we treat our users well and honestly, they will do the same with us.

If you could obtain large supplies of stickers (or outsourced them) I think it would an idea for case makers to put an official r-pi sticker on each. If the Foundation could get a range of stickers and maybe some transfers (the ones you stick in warm water and place on the surface) that might take care of any donations and also ensure the logo is perfect. I know some designers would prefer to make the logo a part of the design but I'm sure there would be ample space to add the official sticker.

It would be an option I guess.
- 1BillionHex aka PiOfCube: 68719476738 -

Return to “General discussion”