User avatar
gordon@drogon.net
Posts: 2020
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:14 pm
Location: Devon, UK
Contact: Website

Re: New E-mail From element14

Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:06 pm

John said:

Hi Gordon,

I was not so nice to my first one, expanded memory and added a vt100 serial port. But still have it and 2 other kits I never assembled (OK never had time to).

Also have Nascom, TRS80 and Kemitron systems... Sigh the good old days

John



If you have a pristine unassembled MK14 with all the bits, then it's probably worth a lot of money. I saw an assembled one (pristine) go for $3000 some time back, and a one about as grubby as mine sold for £450 a week ago on ebay...

I built my own 6502 based board after that, (wire wrapped!) then went down the Apple, Beeb route... wish I'd kept the North Star horizon, but it was just too heavy...

Gordon
--
Gordons projects: https://projects.drogon.net/

lew44
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:12 pm
Contact: Website

Re: New E-mail From element14

Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:41 pm

GordonH said:


John said:


Hi Gordon,

I was not so nice to my first one, expanded memory and added a vt100 serial port. But still have it and 2 other kits I never assembled (OK never had time to).

Also have Nascom, TRS80 and Kemitron systems... Sigh the good old days

John


If you have a pristine unassembled MK14 with all the bits, then it's probably worth a lot of money. I saw an assembled one (pristine) go for $3000 some time back, and a one about as grubby as mine sold for £450 a week ago on ebay...

I built my own 6502 based board after that, (wire wrapped!) then went down the Apple, Beeb route... wish I'd kept the North Star horizon, but it was just too heavy...

Gordon



I had an SD Systems Z80 Starter Kit .  It had 2kb of RAM and an 8kb EPROM socket.  The board was etched for two S-100 bus connectors but you had to buy the sockets separately.  Of course, you had to solder all of the components to the board yourself. I used it mainly as an EPROM burner.

I also designed and built my own Z80 "gray box" computer on a 6" by 8" "breadboard".  It was used by a local bank to translate 9600 Baud ASCII to/from their fancy Phillips wordprocessor to their 150 Baud 5 bit Baudot code teletype machine.  The secretaries would construct fancy International Letters of Credit on the wordprocessor but they had to be transmitted via secured Western Union teletype links.

User avatar
johnbeetem
Posts: 945
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:18 pm
Location: The Mountains
Contact: Website

Re: New E-mail From element14

Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:58 pm

Vindicator said:


Bureaucrats...


"Why do people hate bureaucrats so much?  It's not as if they do anything."

-- from a greeting card

williamsj
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:19 pm

Re: New E-mail From element14

Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:02 pm

John Beetem said:


Vindicator said:


Bureaucrats...


"Why do people hate bureaucrats so much?  It's not as if they do anything."

-- from a greeting card




R37R0
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:14 pm

Re: New E-mail From element14

Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:05 pm

I guess that the next email will detail the 'service charge' or 'processing fee' to be applied to each unit. The EMC testing staff will need to paid after all.

I look forward to getting my unit in the future..... there is always qemu to play with in the meantime

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 24912
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: New E-mail From element14

Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:05 am

R37R0 said:


I guess that the next email will detail the 'service charge' or 'processing fee' to be applied to each unit. The EMC testing staff will need to paid after all.

I look forward to getting my unit in the future..... there is always qemu to play with in the meantime


You are definitely a glass half empty type of guy. AFAIK there will be no service charge or processing fee. The cost of the EMC testing has always been taken in to account, as it was always intended it would be done.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

semtex
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:54 am

Re: New E-mail From element14

Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:45 pm

I guess that the next email will detail the "service charge" or "processing fee" to be applied to each unit. The EMC testing staff will need to paid after all.

Not so. Eben mentioned in an earlier post that generous benefactors in Cambridge had covered the costs for EMC testing and certification.

R37R0
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:14 pm

Re: New E-mail From element14

Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:32 pm

sorry about that cynicism, must have missed the message by eben

Joe Schmoe
Posts: 4277
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:11 pm

Re: New E-mail From element14

Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:03 pm

But of course, everything is subject to change.

(Maybe I need to change my loginid to "GrumpyOldGit_2"...
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

Return to “General discussion”